[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really need an answer. How can I clean produce like apples,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: vga.jpg (67 KB, 835x565) Image search: [Google]
vga.jpg
67 KB, 835x565
I really need an answer.

How can I clean produce like apples, peaches, grapes, etc.?

I go to tons of sites (including many government ones) and they say wash your hands and then thoroughly rinse the fruit under water.

Well, how does simply rinsing the fruit actually clean it? If I put my hands in a toilet, just running water over it isn't going to make them clean.

Yet they say not to use soap/detergents. So what the fuck?
>>
>>7254163
Fruit has wax on it to preserve it. Warm water melts the wax and helps remove it.
>>
So you a clean freak or what?
>>
>>7254178
Had to read up on it quickly - wasn't ever aware of this, so thanks.

But surely not all fruits and veggies have preservative-grade wax (after their natural wax has dissipated). What do you when a protective layer is unlikely?
>>
Wash your hands and then rinse your fruit under running water.

If that's not good enough for you I'd recommend never eating at a restaurant ever again.
>>
>>7254203
I see people dropping fucking fruit on the dirty fucking floor full of sludge from the snow outside and picking it back up after "wiping" it and throwing it back into the pile.

I see people handling it like retards and know full well that what I buy has probably been exposed to that to some extent.

Why would I not take basic steps to ensure I'm eating something that's actually clean?

>>7254218
>Wash your hands and then rinse your fruit under running water.
I don't think you read the post. How does water solely clean fruit? Would just water clean your hands if you put them in a toilet?

>If that's not good enough for you I'd recommend never eating at a restaurant ever again.
I'm 24. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since my pre-teens. It's all homemade. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>7254227

>i'm 24
>i haven't eaten in a restaurant since my pre-teens

Soon enough you should find a job and be able to treat yourself to nice things, assuming you didn't fuck up your life. You didn't fuck up your life, did you?
>>
>>7254249
>You didn't fuck up your life, did you?
No, I'm probably earning more per year at age 24 than most people here will in a lifetime. I don't consider restaurants treats. My food tastes better.

So, anyone know how to clean fruit?
>>
>>7254208
washing fruits and vegtables is mostly to get dirt and dust off, which rinsing is fine for.

any mold on the produce and you should just discard it. Any bad bacteria will die if you cook it and any produce designed to be eaten raw should have tighter regulations
>>
>>7254260

>look at my stacks of cash
>i'm a success

Do they not have banks in Canada?
>>
>>7254269
Fair enough, thanks.

>>7254270
Were you the one I replied to?

You mentioned finding a job and accessorized the statement by mentioning an ability to treat myself.

I'm only showing your advice was wasted on me. I have an amazing job and I'm more than able to treat myself.

Not to mention your advice was totally irrelevant. Who gives a fuck if I don't eat at restaurants? You guys are weird.
>>
>>7254260
Even though I'm the same age and in a probably similar financial situation, I think you are full of shit.

Also, you sought the advise of the government on how to wash fruit, think about how helpless that is.
>>
>>7254279

>i make enough money that i could eat out any time i want
>i chose to cook for myself because i make better food than all the professional chefs running all the best restaurants
>by the way, how am i supposed to wash my produce?
>>
>>7254296
>Even though I'm the same age and in a probably similar financial situation, I think you are full of shit.
Do you want me to re-arrange my stacks and take another photo? How about screenshots I've saved of betting thousands on sports? Full of shit how? I'm in a sweet spot financially.

>Also, you sought the advise of the government on how to wash fruit, think about how helpless that is.
I said "including government sites". Who cares? They were among the first sources to pop up in searches.

Judging by the answers I got, it's a perfectly good question. No one really seems to know how. It's essentially hoping water will get the job done.

>>7254297
>i make enough money that i could eat out any time i want
Yes, which I proved (and can in several more ways).
>i chose to cook for myself because i make better food than all the professional chefs running all the best restaurants
You said "able to treat yourself to nice things" - I do not care for any outside food, so I wouldn't consider it a treat.

If I'm saying "My food is better" in a response to someone's point about treating oneself, I'm saying my food is enough of a treat for me. I'm simple when it comes to food. I do not give the slightest fuck about restaurants. They're not getting a dime from me. Why does it matter?

>by the way, how am i supposed to wash my produce?
Once again: No one really seems to know how. It's essentially hoping water will get the job done.

If it's such a bad question, then answer it instead of beating around the bush, because judging by all the sites on the same topic, you would be the first to be able to unless it involves specialty produce detergents.
>>
>>7254323

>I'm simple when it comes to food. I do not give the slightest fuck about restaurants. They're not getting a dime from me. Why does it matter?

Your question has already been answered.

If you have money to throw away shop at the most expensive grocery store in whatever village you're posting from.

Why are you even on the food and cooking interest board? People with money who don't know what to do with it are honestly the worst.
>>
>>7254338
>If you have money to throw away shop at the most expensive grocery store in whatever village you're posting from.
Are you a Bernie voter or something?

Let me recap:

1. It was suggested I lack money and lacked the ability to treat myself.

2. I proved both wrong.

3. My question remains unanswered.

>If you have money to throw away, why are you even on the food and cooking interest board?
People with money such as myself are automatically compelled not to visit food and cooking boards? Oh, okay.

I'm on a food and cooking board because it stood to reason that people with a vested interest in food might have a better chance of knowing how to handle it. My question was related to food handling. Simple.

>People with money who don't know what to do with it are honestly the worst.
Demonstrate that I've mishandled my income. Does not spending money on restaurants mean someone is mismanaging their wallet? Silly.
>>
>>7254323
>If it's such a bad question, then answer it instead of beating around the bush, because judging by all the sites on the same topic, you would be the first to be able to unless it involves specialty produce detergents.

Ok guys we can settle down, it's a troll. Back to work, just a troll. Nothing to see here. 8/10 would troll again.
>>
>>7254358
Posters in this thread excluding myself: 6
Posters who can explain how to clean it without specialty products: 0

So nah, I'm just sick of seeing filthy retards around the produce area, including the people responsible for stocking it.

Specialty products it'll have to be then.
>>
>>7254373
Jesus fuck they answered. Warm water!

When you COOK your food you kill bacteria. Water is to get rid of WAX and DIRT you fucking a grade retard! You complain about filthy retards around your produce? Your a "rich" retard around the planet. Fuck, "buying specialty detergents" to wash your fucking vegetables and fruits cause your a complete fucking ape with cash to burn is why we say you can't manage your money.
>>
>>7254385
You're more confused than I am.

http://www.cpma.ca/pdf/HealthNutrition/CPMA_Fresh_Facts_Protective_Coatings_en.pdf

I read several documents like these while I was waiting on answers here. Not everything will have protective coating. Lots will carry plenty of risks. Water doesn't clean everything.

And it's that simple. Feel free to go all-caps again but the research is in my favour.

Water is essentially hoping for the best but it doesn't offer a layer of certainty.
>>
Just remember the number 1 cause of salmonella poisoning is leafy vegetables.

Most likely caused by farm hands shitting in the fields.
>>
>>7254260
Vinegar and the juice of a lemon prepare in a spritzer bottle with some water and spray over fruit and rinse
>>
>>7254373
Those specialty products don't work.

If it's going to be cook you rinse it just to remove the dirt or particulates. For root vegetables you can give them a good scrub.

For leafy vegetables completely submerge fora minute or so to make anything nestled in the leave float off. Then use a spinner so the centrifugal force remove anything else.

Remove the skin from fruits. Dunk (gently) berries in water.

Anything cooked will get sterilized by the heat. Anything raw will face one if the stronger acids in the world in your stomach.
>>
>>7254398
Yeah, I read vinegar solutions will get rid of 98% of the bacteria. I wish I could find something that would cover even 1% more just because of how I see people mishandling the food and I was hoping there might be an easier way, but I'll go with that, thanks.

>>7254397
:( Too bad they can't come up with some sort of laser sanitizers for produce.

>>7254402
Thanks for your input.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14540742

I'll just go with vinegar since lots of links to studies cite 98% of bacterial removal. All done. I guess I don't need to stretch the paranoia more than that.
>>
>>7254395
Fuck your link. If you're that worried about bacteria on your stupid fruit and how water is doing nothing, think of all the shit thats improperly cleaned all over that you interact with on a daily basis. You're not going to die or get sick. Washing your hands after shitting, using soap and water, there's fucking shit particles released into the air when you flush that hit all sorts of parts of your body. (oh, you closed the lid before you flushed? do you use public restrooms or are you too rich for that?). So use your disposable income to just buy your special snowflake tomato detergent because you're too pussified to realize water and "hoping for the best" is how it's done and does fine.

tl;dr bacteria everywhere stop being a scared pussy, rinse your fruit and veg for dirt and/or wax, eat away because your body was designed to process poison as best it can.
>>
>>7254408
Oh shit guys, I think we were talking to Howie Mandel the whole time.
>>
>>7254408
>I wish I could find something that would cover even 1% more just because of how I see people mishandling the food

Why? As you said, people mishandle food all the time yet people very rarely get sick from it. That's pretty good empirical evidence that the risk is nowhere near as high as you think it is. Stop panicking.
>>
>>7254417
>Fuck your link.
Fuck my link because it proves my point? Which I did because you attempted to show I wasn't registering the information about the protective layer? Heh. Sorry, some of us are consistent.

>>7254422
I wonder how he does it.

---
Anyhow! I'm good. I'll just use vinegar like I said. Thanks for the banter folks.
>>
>>7254408
Yep. Same numbers as the video I was looking for.... here's a transcript. More that both sites are from around 2007, when the specialty wash product first hit the shelves. They were disproved then but have deep marketing pockets and thus survive.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/2007/05/washing-off-e-coli-not-so-easy.html
>>
>>7254432
>Fuck my link because it proves my point?

What point is that? Just because vinegar kills bacteria doesn't mean that bacteria needs to be killed in the first place. Your level of fear about this is comical.
>>
>>7254454
Once could even say it's not unlike the comedy styling of one, Howie Mandel. Coincidence?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.