[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>let the steak come to room temperature do i have to do this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 750x1334
>let the steak come to room temperature

do i have to do this or is it another meme/misconception?
>>
>>7249598
if you like blue in the middle, brown on the outside then go ahead and call it a meme you dumb frog poster
>>
it's just a misconception. it also takes a lot longer to get it to room temp than most people think, usually a couple of hours.
>>
>>7249598
You should.
I don't always do it though. It depends on how hungry i am.
>>
>>7249606
no one means *exactly* room temp you autist. depending on the thickness of the cut you leave it out for 20-40 minutes. that's all that's implied. you just don't want to toss a fucking ice cold cut in a pan otherwise you wind up with unevenly cooked as fuck steak
>>
>>7249598
I always do it, usually let the meat sit for at least one hour. I find it cooks more evenly that way, and losses less juice.
>>
SeriousEats did a test, and it makes no difference. It's a myth.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
>>
File: 1431806122030.jpg (48 KB, 636x497) Image search: [Google]
1431806122030.jpg
48 KB, 636x497
>canada
>fridge is 4C
>room temperature is 11C
>can't bring butter to room temp without heating the oven
butter is always hard as a rock, everything stays cold
>>
>Take something out of the fridge to bring to room temp
>Walk away
>Come back in an hour or two to check on it
>Roommate had put it back in the fucking fridge

This world knows no madness then people putting shit back in the fridge when it's obviously left out with intent.
>>
>>7249620
I'm with you on that one, happens to me all the fucking time. If it's not yours, and you didn't take it out, just leave it the fuck alone, or ask me if I forgot to put it away!
>>
File: shhhh.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
shhhh.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>7249614
20-40 minutes will only raise the temp of a refrigerated steak a few degrees.

>you just don't want to toss a fucking ice cold cut in a pan otherwise you wind up with unevenly cooked as fuck steak
another old wives tale
>>
>>7249620
once I was making a cup of tea, I left the room for a minute while it was steeping
in that time my dad had gone into the kitchen and dumped it in the sink
>>
>>7249631
true
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
>>
>>7249641
I was making a simple syrup once, took it off the heat, was letting it cool a little, walked away for like 5 fucking minutes, only to come back to the pan in the drain board.
>>
>>7249619
try buying butter with less water in it maybe?
>>
>>7249631
yeah or you could just put it in warm water in a plastic bag for a few minutes, or even put it in a 175 degree oven for 20 minutes, take it out, and cook it the normal way

but I guess cooking isn't the point, the point is to tip your fedora and show how much more clever you are than anyone else
>>
>>7249652
>using heat to make simple syrup
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 750x1334
>>7249601
rude
>>
File: image.jpg (242 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242 KB, 750x1334
its more overcooked than it looks in the photo but the fat isnt completely rendered. i let it sit out for nearly an hour. i should use a different pan
>>
>>7249722
Looks like your pan wasn't hot enough senpai
>>
>>7249722
>a link disproving the meme was posted twice in the thread
>still thinks it's legitimate
sad
>>
>>7249739
if you believe everything you read on the internet you should really check out /pol/ senpai

>>7249734
yeah it's kinda thin
cooking steaks is the only time i consider falling for the cast iron meme
>>
>eating raw meat
Do you actually enjoy it or do you just eat it because it's "supposed to be" like that?
>>
>>7249754
the porterhouse i had last night was raw in parts because it was a thick cut and i'm stupid

it was good until i started getting full. tough raw fat is pretty inedible but the raw flesh i do like. this one i overcooked now is dry and makes me sad
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 750x1334
do you lick up your salty steak juice /ck/?
>>
>>7249598
it's what the jews want you to do
>>
>>7249598
If you like technical rare/medium rare then no, more the opposite. If you like warm then yes
>>
>>7249606
A piece that size under an hour. A 12lb roast on the other hand takes a solid 10 hours
>>
>>7249768
>do you lick up your salty steak juice /ck/?

Well done steaks don't have juices ;)
>>
>>7249798
i got on the facebook and the black people liking well done stereotype is true. they literally said 'if you want it raw just bite the cow yall i wouldnt eat that!'

they also actually do have people ask to touch their hair (???)
>>
>>7249619
You could try adjusting the temp of the fridge if you feel like it's an ongoing issue, I suppose. It takes a day or two for the temperature to fully "set" to the new setting though, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>7249768
I lick up your moms salty meat juice
>>
>>7249617
>SeriousEats did a test, and it makes no difference. It's a myth.

On a grill? Maybe.

In a skillet? No.

A lot of people that try to skillet fry steak fuck it up because they don't get the pan hot enough, and when they toss in a cold steak, it sucks the heat right out of the pan, leading to inconsistent cooking temps and a shitty steak.

A room temp piece of meat doesn't have such a drastic effect on your pan, which means you'll be able to cook it with more consistent heat, leading to a better steak.

If you need to bring a piece of meat up to room temp, but your kitchen is too cool, just put it in a plastic bag and use warm water to bring it up to temp.
>>
>>7249702
>yeah or you could just put it in warm water in a plastic bag for a few minutes

That's CRAZY talk!!
>>
>>7249598

I do it, I find it cooks a lot easier if the steak is at room temperature before hitting the pan.

I like mine medium, so you will need to experiment depending on how you like it. I find it a bit too rare personally if I cook it straight out the fridge.

Put a bit of sea salt on it while it is warming up, I think it really brings out the flavour.
>>
>>7249947
That's a separate issue entirely, but you're right.
>>
>>7249722
trim most of the fat next time. you aren't going to render that shit before your steak is leather
>>
>>7249598
If you cook it frozen then you will worry less about overcooking it. As it warms up in the pan the pink middle will persist longer.

From the freezer, I always drench both sides in salt and place it on a paper towel to wick away moisture. Then wash it off, and straight into the pan, no matter how cold/hard it is.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.