[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /mushroomlovers/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2446x3110) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2446x3110
Who /mushroomlovers/ here?
>>
More like:
/mushroomtolerant/
>>
>>7244194
I can't deal with the massive cramps and diarrhea they give me anymore. They're really good though
>>
>>7244194
>loose
>in a package

Someone needs to explain to them what loose means.
>>
File: awwyes.jpg (46 KB, 326x435) Image search: [Google]
awwyes.jpg
46 KB, 326x435
>>7244194
Shiitake best mushroom.
Chanterelles are good as well.
>>
Absolutely love shrooms. I'd eat them everyday if they weren't so damn expensive where I'm at. Also their shelf life is pretty shit. If I end up not cooking for a few days they go bad.
>>
I fucking love mushrooms, even the shitty canned ones. Whenever i eat a steak you bet your fucking ass some sauteed mushrooms are in the pan next to it.

Oh, and home-made mushroom soup.. fuck yeah.
>>
That's nothing. The smurfs have mushrooms so big they actually live inside of them.
>>
yes mushrooms are good although I've never had a portabella or a shiitake mushroom I would like to try them.
>>
>>7244294
But they're only 3 apples high
>>
I love frying up some cherry tomatoes and mushrooms in olive oil, salt and pepper. Good, respectable breakfast side dish.
>>
>get jar of mushrooms
>the weird fake looking ones
>just dump the jar into a sauce pan
>heat up with pepper
>drink with a fork
Damn good eats
>>
File: 36344.gif (2 MB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
36344.gif
2 MB, 800x449
>>7244326
>drink with a fork

wat
>>
>>7244377
You don't do the ol' sip and stab?
>>
>>7244381
i only like the ol' in-n-out
>>
When I was a teen, my parents would sometimes leave me home alone while they went out for the night. It was those special occasions where I'd open up the whole canned ones and start munching them while frying up bottled moose meat with mushrooms and onions. Feast of champions.
>>
Mushrooms, beef and wine are probably in my top 5 favorite combinations of flavors. Sadly, she likes her beef cooked like leather and doesn't like mushrooms.
>>
So wait, are canned mushrooms actually good? Or just full of preservatives and salt?
>>
Raw, Fried, or on Pizza, Mushrooms are fuckin' good
>>
>>7244194
>make awesome stuffed mushrooms
>eat them you I feel like I'm going to puke
>have stomach ache for the rest of the night
>completely worth it
>>
I sure do love them. My fettuchini with champignons is a hit at home.
>>
File: so gross wtf.jpg (964 KB, 2648x1837) Image search: [Google]
so gross wtf.jpg
964 KB, 2648x1837
Okay someone please... PLEASE explain to me...How is it possible to like these things. They are soo disgusting.
Rubbery, slimy, and the actual flavour is just tragic. Even the SMELL is horrible, what is it about these things that people swear on!?!?

You will even attempt to pass it off as some "portobello steak", let me tell you I've never seen a worse mistake than that before.
>>
>>7244326
>drink with a fork
>>7244711
>bottled moose meat

The world is governed by madness.
>>
>>7245716
You have no taste anon. How can you not enjoy the earthy perfection that is a mushroom.
>>
>>7245716
#guaranteedreplies
>>
File: 1435158467612.png (158 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1435158467612.png
158 KB, 625x626
>>7245716
>>
>>7244271
Have you tried putting them in a brown paper bag? Sounds dumb but it helps quite a bit.
>>
>>7244271
sounds like business oportunity. mushrooms eat shit, are easy to grow and where you are they sell for a good price.
>>
>>7245716
because you stupid idiot wash them before cutting and cooking. you are supposed too brush them. and don't start a row about food safety - ever seen a pic of the kitchen of a buffet resto?thats sick.
>>
>>7245830
btw I love shrooms (all of them) and "waste" valpolicella cooking 'em
>>
>>7245837
As if washing ruins mushrooms in any way.
>>
>>7245744
>>7245796
So not like mushrooms is suddenly bait? I genuinely want to know how people attempt to make these things edible.
They always seem to pollute any dish I've had them in with their vile taste.
>>
Anyone else /mushroomhunt/?
>>
>>7245931
It's a curious thing that some people hate mushrooms so much, compared to others. It's a very common distaste and often a strong one. Just for curiousity, have you tried many varieties of mushrooms?
>>
>>7245963
To me most mushrooms take on the taste of what they're cooked in. Like if I put them in spaghetti or beef stroganoff, I can usually only tell by the texture that I just ate one.
>>
>>7246294
That's because you're a bad cook.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (8 KB, 369x136) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8 KB, 369x136
im here
>>
>tfw you buy a pack of mushrooms intending to make an omelette or something, but you eat the whole pack before then
>every time

I-I think I have a problem.
>>
File: 1442187553524.png (514 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
1442187553524.png
514 KB, 575x575
I love fresh mushrooms but whenever I make pizza - scratch or homemade - I always use canned, even though I know sauteed is better.

how bad is this on a scale of 1 to heresy
>>
>>7248170
Not that bad, mushrooms on pizza shrivel up so badly in the heat that you need ones that have been soaking up brine for a while. I actually love canned mushrooms, I always do a mix of canned/sauteed whenever I make pasta.
>>
>>7248194
i hear ya, sometimes i go for canned on my pizzas over fresh
>>
>>7244194
The more exotic the better
Oyster
Chanterelle
Maitake
Lions mane
Morels
>>
>>7248871
If you'd like, I can send u some dried morels on the cheap
>>
>>7245860
You're supposed to soak, maybe even boil shrooms before cooking them.
>>
>>7245716

Poorly cooked mushrooms can be bad. That's the reason i hated them as a kid, because my mum would not cook them long enough and used zero seasoning. The only rubbery part is the stem, which i remove before cooking.

>chop into quarters
>throw them in a freezer bag
>pour in some sunflower oil
>season with salt, pepper and basil
>shake the bag
>let them sit for about half hour
>get the pan to a med-high heat
>fry for about 7-10 mins
>pat with paper towel when they're done to get rid of excess oil

Delicious
>>
>>7248925
>That's the reason i hated them as a kid, because my mum would not cook them long enough

I feel like that's the biggest reason why people hate mushrooms. If they're not properly browned or seared first of course they're going to be rubbery.
>>
File: DSC04879.jpg (1 MB, 1200x885) Image search: [Google]
DSC04879.jpg
1 MB, 1200x885
fucking love them
>>
>>7244194
Cermak Produce is the best.
>>
>>7244308
France pls, I know your idioms
>>
>>7244214
.... might try washing those bad boys, maybe you just have a bad immune system
>>
I'm love mushroom, I put it in almost everything I cook.
>>
>>7245827
I would but I found my mind in one of those
>>
How hard is cultivating your own mushrooms anyways?
I have big rooms and a big garden so I should be able manage something.
>>
i prefer truffles

SAGE!
>>
>get some pre-made product labelled "wild mushrooms" or with mushrooms included that clearly aren't the standard button
>check ingredients
>"mushrooms"
Which ones? They are all so different, it's like putting "bird" instead of "chicken".

>pick up pack of expensive, dried exotic mushrooms
>paralyzed by indecision over what to put them in
The last time I picked them up I ended up putting them in a quiche, but I'm haunted by the memory of how incredible this one wild mushroom soup I had was, so I always weigh trying for that soup against the easy and guaranteed use in an omelette or quiche or anything like that.
>>
>>7244260
Chanterelles grow all around me and my dad used to talk about how awesome they were all the time but every time I cook them they taste like plastic and shit

Thoroughly overrated mushroom imo
>>
>>7248878
Can they be reconstituted?
Maybe in brown butter?
>>
>>7244194
I love mushrooms. They're basically 90% water and a good source of vitamin D. I consider it my meat substitute (vegetarian here).

>>7244271
>Also their shelf life is pretty shit
Yep. Hate this about mushroom.
>>
>>7244194
Well, first of all, usually all mushrooms should be boiled thoroughly before even starting to cook anything with them. Well, technically not all but most. You should realise that mushrooms take in all the pollution and crap, so it is a wise safety measure even when the mushroom is edible just like that. Then again, if one has a favourite spot and all the, he can prolly estimate the quality and such without even tasting. I myself like to always be sure.

Previously from that you, you of course take your mushroom knife and you mushroom brush and remove the dirt and bad bits. Then, the actual cooking bit, mushrooms stay good for about 1 to 3 days after picking in a refrigerator. The taste reduces, though. Mushrooms should be always prepared as fresh as possible. I personally usually season and dry some species and cook some right away. There's nothing like fresh mushroom salad.
>>
>>7251025
>usually all mushrooms should be boiled thoroughly before even starting to cook anything with them
What the fuck are you on about? Almost all edible mushrooms can be eaten after sautéing for a few minutes.
>>
I can't get into them.

When raw, they taste kind of plain with a hint of bitterness.
When cooked they're just rubbery slimy nastiness.
You can smear them all over my steak if you want, but I'm scraping it off.
>>
>>7251025
>>7251048
both methods yeild different results
different strokes for different tastes, folks

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/a/55253
>>
>>7244194
fuckin' yisss.
>>
>>7244194
ME!!!
>>
>>7244260
Morille best mushroom, you degenerate
>>
>>7252810
Does psilocybin taste good? Could it be used in cooking?
>>
>>7244208
Yes! This exactly. I can tolerate them, but after I've had a few, say in a veg curry, I start moving them aside.

Also, why do they sometimes turn out so rubbery?
>>
>>7252841
because 1 out of 5 mushrooms are made out of rubber
>>
>>7244855
It's those preservatives and salt that make them taste good.
>>
>>7252838
no
yes
>>
>>7252838
some dislike the taste, so yes/no
heat breaks down psylocybin, so no unless unheated
>>
>>7252846
You must be eating them wrong.
>>
>>7252838
Tastes horrible, only mushroom I don't like the taste of. Other anon is right, heat ruins them. Still worth.
>>
>>7245716
people like you hate mushrooms because your parents were baby boomers
>JUST THROW ALL THE INGREDIENTS IN WITH SOME LIQUID AND WHEN STUFF DOESN'T LOOK RAW ITS DONE
yeah, if you just boil a mushroom it comes out slimy and.. not quite rubbery more like spongy, and tasteless

my mushroom based technique for a quick dinner with little mess:
>clean and roughly chop up a bunch of mushrooms
>cut up some onion too
>finely mince/grate/do whatever to however much garlic you want
>sautee onions and mushrooms in a pot on medium high heat with salt until both are well browned
>add the garlic and sautee that for a bit
>turn up the heat to max, pour in some vegetable stock and bring to a boil
>pour in some pasta
>keep it boiling, stir constantly until the pasta is cooked and the liquid is reduced and thickened to your liking
>add real parmesan cheese, if you don't have that just kys senpai, no it's not fucking expensive, a $25 block of it will probably last a year
>>
Anyone ever fry mushrooms in lemon butter?

It's wonderful.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.