[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160304_140544.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160304_140544.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2304
Posting my current set, interested to see what you guys have..
>>
Looking to replace the pairing knives, the boning knife and a new bread knife, but it all pretty functional as is.
>>
>>7537895
Nice, I recognize the CCK "pig sticker"!

I don't have a pic but what I have:
Sugimoto #6 Chinese knife
Sugimoto #22 heavy cleaver
Glestain 12" Gyuto/Chef's
Glestain 6" petty/utility with offset handle
Glestain 8" Deba
F. Dick paring
Victorinox flexible boning
Victorinox offset serrated (bread)
Sabatier 12" Lobster splitter
CCK Butcher's bone chopper
CCK Pork knife
Wusthof frozen food knife, about 10" (really more of a saw than a knife)
Some no-name shitty santoku around 6"

....and finally an oddball piece of junk which I'm not even sure how to describe. It is shaped like a straight boning knife but has very fine serrations like a steak knife. I honestly have no clue what that configuration would be for. It's too short to use for bread. It's not curved enough to be a steak knife. The tip broke off years ago and I have since referred to it as simply "the mangler", because it doesn't cut things, it mangles them. Handy for opening boxes, punching holes in cans, or other bitch work that you wouldn't want to risk a decent knife on.
>>
What do you use the mini "butcher" knife for (between the sheers and tourne)?

I picked one up for 50 cents at Goodwill and use it as a cheese knife (sharpened it up too); no clue what it's actually intended for.
>>
File: 1364684172799.jpg (27 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1364684172799.jpg
27 KB, 413x395
>>7537895
Did you have to stand on a chair to take this photo? No wonder you're compensating with a big knife collection.
>>
>>7537974
I just use it for opening boxes and bags as its sharp as a razor and easy to resharpen, but yeah i think its a cheese knife. i also got mine for about $2

>>7538000
I'm no manlet, just a knife guy..
>>
File: 6512795.jpg (21 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
6512795.jpg
21 KB, 340x340
>>7538000
best comment ever
>>
>>7538000
trips of truth
I see about 10x more fast food threads on here than threads where you cucks post actually good looking OC. what do you guys even need all these knives for?
>>
>>7538754
it's tacticool
>>
>>7538754
>>7537926 here.
They're different tools for different jobs.

>Sugimoto #6 Chinese knife
>Glestain 12" Gyuto/Chef's
These are my main knives. I use these for probably 90% of what I do in the kitchen. I prefer the #6 for small vegetables and minicing; the Chef's for larger vegetables and meat, cutting steaks, etc. It's nice to have two "main" knives because then I can keep one for veg and the other for meat and thus avoid cross-contamination.

>Sugimoto #22 heavy cleaver
Chopping up bone-in meats

>Glestain 6" petty/utility with offset handle
Small delicate stuff like carving garnishes, hollowing out peppers to stuff them, It's also a good general purpose backup if I'm in a rush and I need a clean knife ASAP to avoid cross-contamination.

>Glestain 8" Deba
Butchering fish and chicken

>F. Dick paring
I don't use this much anymore since I bought the Glestain, but I keep it around. I sometimes peel fruit or veg with it.

>Victorinox flexible boning
Boning out meat, Frenching ribs, stabbing small holes in roasts to stuff with garlic. Also doubles as a nice fillet knife for small fish.

>Victorinox offset serrated
Bread, sandwiches, etc.

>Sabatier 12" Lobster splitter
Heavy work like splitting chickens down the backbone, lobsters, crabs, etc. Also good for threatening waitstaff.

>CCK Butcher's bone chopper
Breaking bones for making stock. Even better than the Sabatier for threatening waitstaff as it seriously looks like something out of a horror movie.

>CCK Pork knife
Butchering pigs & wild game (I sometimes buy whole hogs and I hunt regularly)

>Wusthof frozen food knife
I inherited this from my parents. Apparently these were a thing in the 60s and 70's. I keep a lot of scraps in the freezer for adding to sauces, etc, and it's nice to be able to cut off a piece of whatever might be needed without having to thaw the whole thing.

>Some no-name shitty santoku
Kitchen bitch, opening boxes, etc.
>>
You really only need 3 knives...seriously.
>>
>>7539004
Which 3?
>>
>>7539014
If you need to ask stick to your tv dinners
>>
>>7539021
No, I'm calling his lying ass out because I'm sure I can name a relatively basic cooking task that would be impractical with his choice of three.
>>
>>7539024
doubt it.
>>
Chef's knife
Carving knife
Serrated knife
Boning knife
Paring knife
>>
>>7539024
80% of people will get by with just a paring knife, chef's knife, and a utility knife.
Some 95% of people will be serviced by adding a filet knife, a bread knife, and a meat cleaver to that.
Anything else is going to be highly specialized and probably unnecessary for anyone outside of a professional kitchen.
>>
>>7539086
Basically this
chef knife 8 inch, pairing knife and a bread knife..if you cant operate with those at home..then you need assistance
>>
>>7539092
agreed, but I'd add meat cleaver to that list if you make your own stock
>>
>>7539097

I'd do a utility knife/all purpose boning type knife before a meat cleaver.
>>
>>7539097
or just toss the bone in there
>>
>>7538012
>>7537974
FUCK, now I have to get one..
>>
OP, nice to see someoen so psyched.

You other anons, I agree that many can get away with a few knives, but I'd agree with the anons who like a few specialty knives. No one is going to filet a fish as well, hack apart a turkey as well, make a little radish rose as well, or skin out a hog with their three knives. I like my extra ones, and I would never suggest that three would do everything I want. I could force them to work, but no way they would work as well.
>>
File: vic.jpg (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
vic.jpg
14 KB, 500x500
Literally all I ever use.
>>
>>7539228
I once knew a guy that swore all he needed was a sharp chef knife...he proved this to me by hacking through a variety of things you would think needed specialty knifes.
>>
>>7539268
that's how the european chefs knife came into existence, something delicate enough to cut an onion and still hack the shit out of beasts
>>
>>7539268
And I read a great article how a good cleaver can be used for all sorts of things one wouldn't normally think of. But I'm not gonna try to peel an apple with a chef knife or a cleaver, even though I could if I had to.
>>
>>7539228

I think the general consensus is to buy the knives you need, instead of spending more money on a lesser quality knife set, most of which is redundant and usually just an excuse not to get your knives sharpened (because there's always the next one in the block).

For someone buying knives for the first time, I think chef, paring, and bread is perfectly fine. Spend money on the chef, buy a decent paring, and buy whatever you want for the bread.

After that see what you're missing and what you need. I don't own a meat cleaver, but have felt the need to own one so infrequently that I haven't bought one. I use a boning knife all the time, on the other hand.
>>
File: Tips+fedora_bb41d6_4967527.jpg (50 KB, 780x437) Image search: [Google]
Tips+fedora_bb41d6_4967527.jpg
50 KB, 780x437
>>7538754

>4chan
>blades
>>
File: IMG_20160205_095449.jpg (637 KB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160205_095449.jpg
637 KB, 3200x2368
>>7537895
My kitchen knives. The Wusthof chef and paring I've had for 9 years, and they're still awesome.

I made the magnetic knife strip myself - rock maple. Made several more as groomsmen gifts, and the dudes loved them.
>>
>>7539307
I'd agree with this for the most part.

Personally I don't see the point for a home cook to have a paring knife--they're really only useful for doing delicate stuff like carving garnishes and that's typically not something a home cook would need to do.
>>
>>7541477
Until I got a utility knife, I used my paring knife for limes and such,but I'd agree with you. ~8" chef and ~5" utility will get you through 99% of what you need done in a normal kitchen. May not be ideal for bread and fileting fish, etc, but it'll work.
>>
>>7541505

Heck, I'm not even sure what you would need the "utility". What would you do with it that you cannot do with an 8" chef's?
>>
>>7541510
My wife uses the utility knife more than the chef knife. I got the utility knife specifically for her
>>
>>7537895
I see you rockin' that Fibrox nigga, how's it treating you?
>>
>>7537895
PHS guy...is that you?
>>
>>7539307
>>7541477
>>7541505
I love a utility knife (we're talking about a shortish, serrated blade, right? A tomato or salami knife?), but a paring knife is so much better for peeling apples. Plus, I can sharpen my paring knife much more easily than my utility knife.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.