[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canned Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: canned-food.jpg (480 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
canned-food.jpg
480 KB, 1200x900
. A 1997 study found that canned fruits and vegetables are as rich with dietary fiber and vitamins as the same corresponding fresh or frozen foods, and in some cases the canned products are richer than their fresh or frozen counterparts.[10] The heating process during canning appears to make dietary fiber more soluble, and therefore more readily fermented in the colon into gases and physiologically active byproducts. Canned tomatoes have a higher available lycopene content. Consequently, canned meat and vegetables are often among the list of food items that are stocked during emergencies.

Do you eat you canned food, /ck/?
>>
>>7240396
i used canned green beans to make fritters, and sometimes canned chickpeas to make with pasta and tomato sauce for a quick dinner.

i don't think canned food is inherently worse for you, but most people drain the liquid they come in and that removes some of the nutrition.

some canned food also has a lot of salt in it too.
>>
>>7240396
I always liked canned pineapples. Something to get me through these long winters.
>>
File: canned-tomatoes.jpg (84 KB, 1125x842) Image search: [Google]
canned-tomatoes.jpg
84 KB, 1125x842
i can my own meat, dry beans and fresh produce

it's about a brazilion times better than what you buy at the store..
eg: a bushel of tomatoes costs $10 at harvest and i get a years supply + some to give away.. no salt, no preservatives just delicious, cheap harvest tomatos
>>
>>7240412
i actually prefer canned pineapple, because raw pineapple destroys my mouth and face. i get blisters everywhere but canned pineapple is fine.
>>
>>7240423
The mild burning off of your flesh is part of the pleasure of a pineapple though!

Newer varieties unfortunately are working to breed out the enzymes that digest protein and create more blandly sweet pineapple... Pray that such work does not find success.
>>
Canned pineapples and black beans.
>>
The only canned food I use is corn, any type of meat and tomatoes

Thats it
>>
>>7240423
Fuck, I thought I was allergic to pineapple because eating raw pineapple hurt my mouth and tongue and I quickly spit everything out but googling raw pineapple right now lets me know that apparently it is normal for raw pineapple to hurt your mouth.
>>
>>7240396
Isn't the problem with canned foods is that some of them have way too much salt?
>>
>>7240396
I don't eat canned food because it's more cheap to just can them myself from fresh vegetables bought in the market.
>>
>>7240396
>Consequently, canned meat and vegetables are often among the list of food items that are stocked during emergencies.
I'm having trouble working out how that is a consequence of what was previously established in the paragraph. Feels like a completely unrelated fact to me.
>>
>>7240396

canned tomaters, beans, occasionally corn and chickpeas
>>
Canned beans
Canned tomatoes/sauce/paste
Canned corn

Pretty much the only canned foods I buy, and will ever buy. I'm not a big fan of buying canned things in general, but the top three are simply too convenient in time preparation and price. Everything else gets freshly made, including boxed shit like pasta.
>>
>>7240423
Try removing the outer rind next time
>>
File: p6niS8F.jpg (842 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
p6niS8F.jpg
842 KB, 2560x1536
Just made some cream of chicken fresh from a can
>>
>>7240396
I don't have much of a choice. I'm poor, so I have to buy canned goods. You can make some pretty decent soups and meals with canned veggies and whatnot, but damn, I wish my budget would allow some fresh veggies.
>>
>>7244356
Learn to forage brah
>>
>>7244397
my neighbors destroyed my garden. all my buckets of dirt and seeds destroyed on my back porch because my neighbor didn't want bees, and my other neighbor had a party where they took my remaining buckets and threw them in the dumpster.
>>
>>7244408
Did you really let your neighbor destroy your property and you didn't do anything about it?
>>
>>7244339
I wish those soups had more calories, I think it's like barely 200 for the whole thing prepared. I never know what to have with it.
>>
>>7244423
Usually I just dump oyster crackers in it, decent for a light lazy as fuck meal
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.