[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Best Spices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: cumin.jpg (38 KB, 606x340) Image search: [Google]
cumin.jpg
38 KB, 606x340
What are /ck/s favourite spices?
>>
>>7237283
Careful! Last time someone made this thread, the sperglords came out of their parent's basements because anons were replying with "salt" and "oregano" which are "minerals and herbs, you dumb fucks". Let's not trigger the sensitive souls.
>>
File: photo.jpg (67 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
67 KB, 900x900
cayenne
>>
i really like garam masala.. i go all over the map with that shit
>>
Mint. Sooo refreshing.
>>
Strictly "Spices?"

Black pepper, Cumin, then probably paprika or some kind of ground hot pepper
>>
>>7237283
>jalapeno powder
>garlic powder
>black pepper
>onion powder
>cinnamon

what else would anyone ever need?
(other than salt, of course, but i don't think that really counts as a spice)
>>
>>7237304
That's too bad. People will get offended over everything.

>>7237305
Wise choice

>>7237309
Love this as well, I use it frequently. Do you make it yourself?

>>7237316
Mandatory!

>>7237318
You can list herbs too, I personally don't care. Great spices you listed. Work wonders in nearly all entrees.
>>
Salt
>>
>>7237346
No, technically speaking salt is not a spice. However, some folks consider it to be one.

Great powders listed btw, I wish jalapeno powder was easy to come by in my town.
>>
Curry because I'm an unoriginal fuck
>>
>>7237358
Thanks senpai, the only downsize to jalapeno powder that I've found is that it clumps pretty badly. It tends to show up during the summer with grilling related stuff, in my experience.
>>
>>7237376
Ah clumping, had that happening with a few of my own spices. One way you can stop that from happening is by adding a couple dried beans or some bits of rice. It worked wonders!
>>
>>7237369
If it gets the job done!
>>
Salt
Pepper
Smoked paprika
Curry powder
Basil
Garlic?
Thyme

Favorites are paprika, salt and pepper.

I fucking love garlic but I always put too much and get the runs so I don't use it a lot
>>
>>7237413
Garlic is neither spice nor herb. It's essentially just a very flavourful vegetable.

Great list, with some nice herbs thrown in. Smoked Paprika is fantastic, I love it traditional Hungarian dishes.
>>
Turmeric. Not great by itself, but is part of some great combinations and adds a nice color.
>>
>>7237283

Sumac.
>>
>>7237445
Have only had Sumac in it's spice form once. I really wish I could find it around here. I wonder if the common Sumac around here would be suitable or if it has to be the Middle-Eastern species complex.
Unique answer.
>>
>>7237439
I personally really enjoy the aroma of turmeric. Can notice it in some indian dishes, and you're right, adds a great and delicious looking colour.
>>
>>7237464

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spices+sumac&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=54310740563&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10745175453827278512&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3z415y7z4s_b
>>
>>7237485
Thanks! Another one to add to the cupboard!
>>
>>7237464
I go for the rhus vernix sumac
>>
>>7237502
Thanks for the advice.
>>
Cumin, cayenne, and chilli powder make up my south-west / Tex-Mex profile used with any protein.

Garlic, and ginger are my go-to flavors for Asian inspired meals.

Basil, oregano, and rosemary flavor my Italian inspired meals.
>>
>>7237690
I really, really like this post.

Though I don't know what "tex mex" means so I'm gonna assume it's meat and potatoes.
>>
>>7237705
>Though I don't know what "tex mex" means so I'm gonna assume it's meat and potatoes.

Tex-Mex is basically a blend of northern Mexican food and native Texan foods.

Fajita's and refried beans are an example.
>>
Grains of paradise, get on my level
>>
>>7237768
Oh, I see. Thanx.
>>
Cumin
Asafoetida
korarima
>>7237772
Ha beat me to it kind of, it's inferior to korarima but in a pinch it's fine in mitmita
>>
>>7237856
I used it in some dish I made years ago, can't remember what it was called but the taste of it stayed with me for some reason
>>
Cumin
Paprika
Black pepper
>>
File: SZEGED-HUNGARIAN-PAPRIKA-MILD.jpg (64 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
SZEGED-HUNGARIAN-PAPRIKA-MILD.jpg
64 KB, 475x475
I honestly don't know what I was doing with my life before discovering this.
>>
Cinnamon.

Although, is cocoa a spice?
>>
Of basics? Salt and pepper.
>>
File: 1433014271195.jpg (52 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
1433014271195.jpg
52 KB, 550x367
Cumin and/or paprika go in just about everything I cook.
>>
>>7237304
I dunno, I'd get kinda pissed at someone who said "salt." It's kind of like answering "what's your favorite thing to do first thing in the morning?" with "wake up."

like, no shit, fuckface. now answer the goddamn question.
>>
>>7237283
garlic salt
>>
>>7239849
>small euro section of my supermarket has giant bags of paprika
Hungarians fucking love that shit.
>>
>>7239904
What can you put cinnamon on that isn't porridge?
I've tried it with carrots and pumpkin but both tasted like bum butt.
>>
chili powder
>>
>>7240660
Chinese soup, curries, stews, mulled wine, rice pudding, that sort of thing. You just have to be careful with it.
>>
>>7240676
So pretty much just Asian dishes and I suppose that's because their flavours are so strong that the cinnamon doesn't over power them and become the dominant flavour.
Food for thought.
Thanks.
>>
>>7240660

I sprinkle some in my coffee.
>>
>>7240711
Interesting. Will sprinkle on my next cappuccino instead of chocolate. Thanx.
>>
>>7240710
Yeah, for a soup I'd crack off maybe two thumbnail sized pieces of bark at most. I think there's a difference between whole and ground cinnamon's strength too.
>>
Dragoon babyyyyyyy
>>
>>7240775
I just found out it's called Tarragon in English, apparently.
>>
>>7237856
>Asafoetida

You know your spices. I love this one, even the smell doesn't bother me really.
>>
Thyme / Basil / Dried Parsley - for my carbs

Paprika / Cumin / Turmeric - on my proteins
>>
>>7240660
it can be used in tomato sauce (helps to cut acidity)
>>
Ginger and cayenne.
>>
>>7237283
Cardamom. Incredible in coffee and pairs well with both sweet and savory flavors. You can make cookies and cakes with it or use it to season beef. Its very versatile.
>>
>>7242156
Really nice in rice pudding too.
A+ choice here, anon.
>>
Pretty much everything said already

I use Salt Free Tony's Chachere for Cajun dishes

I found the salt was way way too much in the regular mix so this lets me season Cajun dishes like a mother fucker and keep it from being too salty
>>
>>7242156
>Cardamom. Incredible in coffee

Acquired taste I guess, found it rather off-putting, like mixing tea and coffee.
>>
>>7237283
>put some cummin
>>
>>7237772
where do you get it? no store ever has it
>>
File: Coffee-Turkish-Coffee.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Coffee-Turkish-Coffee.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>7242217
I can see how cardamom in coffee would be an acquired taste, its kind of herbal in flavor. Which can be a strange addition to coffee. But if you're into that sort of thing its goat.
>>
Coriander is a spice I like to use a lot. Caraway, juniper, and basil.
>>
>>7240660
cinammon + banana is one of the best combinations I ever tasted.
>>
Oregano, with anything.
>>
my most popular spices
ground cumin
thyme (fuck I'll include not spices if i want)
smoked paprika
garam masala
>>
>>7242351
I feel like garam masala shouldn't count either.
>>
cumin definitely, such a delicious spice. cayenne and paprika powder are also great

absolutely despise caraway and anise, the weird sweet taste is really not for me
>>
is there a huge difference between smoked and unsmoked paprika? I've always bought the regular kind.
>>
>>7243160
I agree, or curry powder.

People often do not realize that these are combinations of spices and not a unique singular type of spice.
>>
ground chili
>>
>>7237283
Cinnamon for sweets, paprika and red pepper for mostly everything else.
>>
Cloves
Allspice
Cardamom
Cayenne
Ground Ivy
Sweet Clover
Juniper
Garlic

All pretty essential to my cooking
>>
>>7243404
Ground Ivy, I've never heard of this as a spice.
What do you use it for? What is the taste like?
>>
>>7243626
It tastes like mint with strong earthy and pepper-like undertones when used fresh. The mint flavor tends to give way to the pepper cooked or dried. It goes great in stews, with lamb, chicken, and fresh makes a great tzatziki. I'm also fond of using it with sweet potato.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.