[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I come to you cooking gods and goddesses as a cooking peasant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: ground-beef.jpg (112 KB, 921x800) Image search: [Google]
ground-beef.jpg
112 KB, 921x800
I come to you cooking gods and goddesses as a cooking peasant seeking your culinary wisdom.

Will ground beef brown even if not properly cooked?

Reason being I have ground beef patties in a pan right now with the lid on on med-low heat and I don't want it browned but with bacteria.
>>
File: 1430588357752.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1430588357752.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>7230109
>I come to you cooking gods and goddesses as a cooking peasant seeking your culinary wisdom.
>>
what?
>>
>>7230109

>lid on

Enjoy your steamed hams.
>>
>>7230118
This is a good thing, right? I hear steamed burgers are great and I'm trying to combine the idea with regular skillet burgers.

>>7230116
I'm asking if the meat will turn brown from cooking even if the temperature hasn't risen enough to kill bacteria.
>>
This is really dumb. What? Why? Just fucking cook that shit on high heat if you want it properly browned.
>>
>>7230109
Waht the fuck are you trying to ask
>>
>>7230189
I think he asking for a medium rare burger with bacteria killed.
>>
>>7230109

1) The lid is not a good idea.

2) Use butter. The butter will caramelize at a lower temperature and give you quite a bit of flavor.

3) For dealing with bacteria, just make sure it cooks to a reasonable temperature. Use a meat thermometer, if necessary.
>>
>>7230144

You can brown a hamburger on less than medium heat. My usual setting for cooking hamburger patties (up to 1 1/4 inches thick) on my stove is setting '4'. '5' is medium.

And if you have some good grass-fed beef, cooking at high heat is contraindicated.
>>
ground beef browns because of the maillard reaction, which involves temperatures above 100C, which is well beyond the point where it is 'properly cooked'. browned beef is inherently overcooked, the point is it's usually only a layer on the outside, or the meat is then stewed to the point where it softens from broken down connective tissue.
>>
File: image.jpg (295 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295 KB, 1440x810
ground beef will brown if you leave it in the fridge long enough
>>
>>7230196
He doesn't want the bacteria killed. I assume this is a troll thread disguised as an evil plan to trick someone into eating a tainted burger. OP is in high school.
>>
>>7230529

Sometimes I suspect that half or more of the threads on 4chan are nothing more than trolls.
>>
A stove on medium-low is around 300 degrees F. It's going to kill everything, given a long enough time to do it.

If anything does remain alive after that, it has proven it is a superior lifeform and deserves to kill us.
>>
By the way, toss a couple of crushed garlic cloves in the butter before adding the hamburger.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.