[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
over the holidays I've been trying to make good macaroni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_1162.jpg (801 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1162.jpg
801 KB, 2048x1536
over the holidays I've been trying to make good macaroni and cheese. I've been using a quick recipe that skips baking it in the oven. also I've had more success just using cream and butter as a base instead of making a bechamel. right now the part I'm stuck on is the taste. using a ton of sharp cheddar increases the salty and savory flavors I want, but it also increases the more overpowering sour fermented flavor. I figure I need to use different cheeses to balance things out. what other cheese is good?

here is the recipe for my latest attempt:

1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
mustard powder
red pepper
black pepper
chicken bouillon powder
worchestershire sauce
4 oz extra sharp cheddar
>>
>>7224888
Big fan of Red Leicester, but it ain't cheap.
>>
>>7224888
Add Caesar dressing, that will take the bite out of it
>>
>>7224937
this sounds hard to believe. doesn't salad dressing have a lot of vinegar in it?
>>
>>7224949
It's a shitposter just ignore it
>>
>>7224937
Trust me guy, it'll make it creamy and delish beyond your belief
>>
>>7224953
Stop hate posting on Ceasar dressing
>>
>chicken bouillon powder
>worchestershire sauce

why dude
>>
Add a desert spoon of horseraddish sauce. Gives it a warm, sligtly spicy, peppery, earthy kick that balances some of the weird milky cheesy flavours and its not strong enough to overpower the good cheesy flavours.
>>
>>7224977
this was the 4th time I made it in the last 2 weeks so I was just throwing whatever I could find in to see how it would turn out. the chicken powder was ok and I don't think I put enough worchestershire in to really affect the taste.
>>
Noodles & Co makes a mean Wisconsin Mac and Cheese. For some reason, though, they recommend meatballs with it, which are fucking disgusting. Luckily you can just have it plain.
>inb4 >buying mac and cheese at a restauraunt
>>
I usually make Chef John's recipe.

1 lb elbow macaroni
3-4 cups of cheese (he uses a mix of cheddar gouda and gruyere, i just use what I happen to have)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp Dijon mustard (I just use colmans)
3 cups milk

keep in mind this makes a lot of extra sauce because it's meant to be baked, so either make less sauce or make more noodles.
>>
>>7225127
I went to that place a couple times and wasn't impressed at all. the stroganoff didn't have enough sauce and I think I had to pay extra just to get beef with it.
>>
>>7225127
As soon as I read meatballs my ass wanted to vomit like it did the last time I had them at Noodles n Co.
>>
File: 3804_LRGimg.jpg (90 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3804_LRGimg.jpg
90 KB, 400x400
>>7224888

bechamel tastes too floury and heavy cream has too many flavor-diluting fats. the ideal cheese sauce base is actually evaporated milk. (don't confuse it for condensed milk!)
>>
>>7224888
Gruyere is nice & s little nutmeg too
Coarse ground mustard or dijon as well
>>
I prefer Velveeta over craft myself.
>>
>>7225275
You aren't making your roux properly if it tastes like flour.
>>
Do you guys make the cheese sauce seperately and then add to the pasta, or do you mix it in the pasta after rinsing?
>>
>>7225320
I think trying to make the sauce with the pasta will really mangle the pasta. Usually you make the sauce, then dump your drained noodles into the sauce and stir.
>>
>>7225334
Makes sense, I'll try that. I would do it now but I don't have any pasta at the moment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>7225334

if your pasta is not overcooked it will not be damaged by some stirring.

you really should make your sauce in the pot. use the least possible amount of water to cook the noodles so that the water gets wicked-starchy and you don't need to add more starch (in the form of roux) to thicken your sauce.

just make kenji's recipe it's miles better than the primitive ramblings in this thread

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html
>>
>>7225255
Without the diarrhea balls, it's pretty good.
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (35 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
35 KB, 500x502
>>7225422
>primitive ramblings
>recipe basically has a roux with corn starch instead of flour
you're hilariously awful
>>
has anyone tried the food science recipe with sodium citrate? I don't have an immersion blender and I don't know how well it would work without one.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.