[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought one of these, the 1 cup one. It should come next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 61s2pDunk9L._SY355_.jpg (11 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61s2pDunk9L._SY355_.jpg
11 KB, 355x355
Just bought one of these, the 1 cup one.

It should come next week, any tips?

Also should I have bought a milk frothier so I could make cappuccinos?
>>
The first one or two cups are going to taste like aluminum ass, so just toss them.
After that there should be enough of a patina between the metal and your coffee to brew normally.

Boil the water separately before pouring it in, the pot can burn your coffee if you leave it on the stove too long.

While it's brewing, watch the colour of the coffee as it comes out of the spigot: once it turns a golden or honey colour, take the pot off the heat and let it finish.
>>
These make terrible coffee dude. Listen to >>7215382 in order to get the best possible results from them but honesty youd bee butting your beans to better use making hobo coffee

They're beautifully designed, but you'd have been better off getting a french press or a hario cone
>>
>>7215483
I've got a french press but I want to make something stronger sometimes.
>>
>>7215366
You are aware that one cup in bialetti moka pot terms is 2oz, right?
>>
>>7215483
>These make terrible coffee dude

I disagree. It's an overly fiddly device, but get it right and it's breddy good.
>>
>>7215366
Cancel your order and get the 3 or 6 cup moka pot. And you're going to need cream to drink moka coffee unless you just like strong coffee. It took me 5 brews to get it right so don't give up if the first few taste like shit
>>
>any tips

Don't use espresso-fine grounds. All the guides and videos say "slightly finer than medium/drip." If you've ever used an Aeropress, just use the same setting for that on your grinder if not slightly finer.

Use mid-low heat. On my gas cook top, I set the knob right in between "Med" and "Lo," but closer to med.
If you're doing it right, the coffee will smoothly flow out from the column and then sputter when the water is almost out.
If you're doing it wrong, the coffee will sputter the whole way.
>>
File: badanime.jpg (12 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
badanime.jpg
12 KB, 240x200
>>7215366

The coffee a moka pot device yields is as oily as French press coffee, but much thicker and bold.

The trick for a good brew is filling the strainer with properly ground coffee, and using low heat. Do not compress the grounds in any sort of way.

Use a low-medium heat when brewing. I have found out that a good rule of thumb is, that unless you can't brew the coffee with the lid open without making a mess, you are using too much heat. This way making a cup can take 15 minutes, at least on an electric stove, but it is worth it.

After your pot starts spitting foam from its pipe, lift the pot of the flame. It's important not to cook the coffee, though with low heat, the danger is much smaller.

I enjoy the moka pot coffee plain. Use a light roast, darker roast combined with the more strong nature of the coffee brewed in a moka can lead to unpleasantly strong brews, but maybe you like it that way, I don't know.

For maintenance, never use soap, it ruins the aluminum. Just use warm water for cleaning, and dry the thing well. You should always keep a thin layer of oil on the walls of the upper chamber. To achieve this layer, just brew a couple of cups. These cups can be consumed, but may taste metallic. If the upper part starts to resemble the asshole of a rhino, just wipe it with a cloth, or odn't, crazy Italian grandmothers believe the dirtier the upper part, the better the coffee.
>>
>>7215749
this guy is correct

seals take ages to 'cure' too.....meaning first month is usually messy
>>
>>7215870

>seals take ages to 'cure' too

This sucks, and is true. No matter how hard you twist, if the seals are new, they will leak for like the first 10 brews, then they will set.
>>
File: top kek.jpg (334 KB, 650x512) Image search: [Google]
top kek.jpg
334 KB, 650x512
You guys make coffee like in the picture too? I'm really curious.
>>
>>7215885

I do. I also own a French press, and use that as well. Paper filtered coffee tends to be a lot more bitter than oilier, non paper filtered coffee in my experience. I enjoy darker roasts paper filtered, personally.
>>
>>7215366
there is literally nothing wrong with automatic drip coffee
>>
This is perfect, I bought a three cup moka today. The coffee seems pretty good. I haven't had espresso, but the coffee was certainly stronger than what I usually brew. Made a shitty latte with the coffee that was pretty good also
>>
Is there a definite way to tell when the moka pot is finished brewing? Also, anyone else here using an electric stove top? I've been starting with boiling water and using medium-high heat on the stove. Not sure what heat settings I should try to use
>>
are these things just a pain in the ass? I mean really if you have to boil water before filling I think id rather just stick with a mr.coffee.
>>
>>7216480
Shoot for 5 mins from time you put it on the stove til you pour your coffee into the cup. I just got mine last week and here's is my method.

Preheat your stove. I use boiling water so I just turn it to the number 5 until its time.
Pour boiling water into the bottom chamber
Put the filter in the bottom chamber and fill until level with the rim of the filter. I use a drip like grind
Screw on the top chamber but be careful because the bottom chamber will be really hot so use a towel of oven mittin and screw it on really tight.
Place moka pot on stove and wait for it to brew. When the top chamber reaches half full take it off the heat and let it finish brewing.

I'm still experimenting but this has been working best for me.
>>
>>7215366

pretty mediocre but more consistent and convenient for making a single cup than using a drip maker.
>>
>>7216548
Oh and you want the water level to be just below the relief valve
>>
File: resized-DSC-2.jpg (359 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
resized-DSC-2.jpg
359 KB, 1600x1064
A 1 cup moka pot is a tiny little thing
>>
>>7216585
wow. and I thought the 3 cup was small.
>>
>>7216512
You don't need to put boiled water in it. But if you feel like being a wanker you can.
>>
>>7216512
I've only seen people recommend pre boilng the water if you don't have a gas stove
>>
>>7215366
Wait, isn't that just a percolator? How does it not result in over-extracted, bitter coffee? or is that the point of the device?

I have a french press, drip coffee maker, and an espresso machine. What would a Moka pot do that one of my existing devices can't? I mean, these pots seem cheap enough that I might buy one if I thought it could deliver something worth experiencing, but just looking at the design alone, I don't think it can.
>>
File: Bialetti Diagram.jpg (56 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
Bialetti Diagram.jpg
56 KB, 600x530
>>7216649
I think there's greater pressure involved. Also, the water forced through doesn't end up back in the same compartment as the boiling water. If you have an espresso maker I'm not sure there's a reason you would need one.
>>
>>7216649
It would give you a sense of smug satisfaction.
>>
>>7216602
Why would anybody put boiled water in it? It's literally designed to boil the water for you.
>>
>>7216686
okay, so it's basically just a tool for making a strong cup of coffee or faux espresso. Thanks for the info, Monica
>>
>>7216649
I don't even use my french press for coffee anymore. Its my milk frother now that I can make espresso with the moka pot
>>
>>7216649
>I have a french press, drip coffee maker, and an espresso machine
>ayy look at me I'm rich as fuck

It's basically stove top espresso but not quite as thick.
>>
>>7216703
Some people freak out and worry that the heat will cook the coffee grounds. I just do it because the microwave is a faster way to preheat the water
>>
>>7216712
how do you use it to froth milk? do you pour in hot milk and just plunge the piston up and down?
>>
>>7216698
>It would give you a sense of smug satisfaction.

Did you miss the part where I said I have a French press AND an espresso machine? I'm full-up on the sense of smug satisfaction, Monica
>>
>>7216712
>now that I can make espresso with the moka pot

nice bait
>>
>>7216715
Maybe my grind was too fine but on my electric stove I used Luke warm water and the coffee came out burnt and it takes no time to boil 6oz of water.
>>
>>7216725
Yep. Just put it in the microwave for 1 minute to heat it.
>>
>>7216715

It's not that the grounds get cooked. Using cold water doesn't make it hot enough for a full extraction.

https://youtu.be/ObkjKlJe68A?t=372

They get pretty autistic about moka/brikka pot brewing in that video.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.