[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just fucked up making bread, any experts care to weigh in?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 113 med.jpg (42 KB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
113 med.jpg
42 KB, 400x307
So I just fucked up making bread, any experts care to weigh in?

It's too dense so I think I fucked up with the yeast, and this fucking electric oven has a heating element at the top only, so it's practically a glorified grill that burnt the top of the bread after ten mins of the half hour I was meant to leave it in for, so I flipped it upside down... disaster.
>>
>>7212598
>heating element on top
did you at least use the lowest rack?
>>
File: 1288561122022.jpg (150 KB, 407x493) Image search: [Google]
1288561122022.jpg
150 KB, 407x493
Sorry for going full Gordon Ramsey... the frustration is still strong. Any hints/tips would be appreciated, especially if anyone deals with an oven as crap.
>>
>>7212606

I did when I saw what was happening, but I didn't even think. I just moved and I'm completely out of the habit of cooking (especially bread) so I just went about it like I ordinarily would.

Should the heating element being there not really be an issue then, or is it just going to kind of suck for baking do you think?
>>
>>7212611
it shouldn't really be that much of an issue for most things. honestly if it's dense you probably didn't give it enough risie time, but if it continues to be an issue, try baking smaller loaves see if that helps
>>
>>7212622
>try baking smaller loaves

Good thinking. Yeah, I took it out seven minutes early because I panicked so that can't have helped... and I turned down the heat. I did so much different to what I ordinarily would it's hard to know where I went wrong the most. It'll be a bit of trial and error with this I think.
>>
>>7212628
>lost mah trip
>>
>>7212598

humidify your oven with wet towels or a container with water and you will form a thick yet crispy crust and larger air bubbles within the bread.

Use a starter for a more active and robust culture that yields more flavor and lighter bread. Google starters, I'm not going to go into it here.
>>
Let the dought rise for as long as in needs, not as long as the recipe tells you. Hundreds of variables afect the behaviour of yeast, so rising times are unpredictable.

If the recipe calls for the dought to rise to x height or volume, let the dought get to that point. Also, put the bread in the bottom rack and tent it in foil after the first 20 mins. This will trap heat and moisture and create a better crust.
>>
File: widbone.png (46 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
widbone.png
46 KB, 225x225
>>7212598
when you make the dough, substitute half the water with some of this stuff and it should take care of it
>>
>>7214586
Do you ever just stop and think about the things you do? I mean, you could be doing anything right now, and you're making bad jokes and posting pictures of salad dressing on the Internet. Do you just get a kick out of being obnoxious or what.
>>
>>7214602
ya know, I never say anything when someone makes a thread about onions, or how your bread probably tastes. why do u have to be so intolerant and biased towards the things I like?
#Caesardressingmatters
>>
>>7214619
That still isn't funny. It's not likely to become funny with further repetition. Did you not develop any sort of social awareness as a child? You're going to get bored eventually and the caesarposting will stop and all you'll have to show for it is some wasted bandwidth and the fleeting memories of the couple of hours of your life you fucked away. Just stop. Come back when you find a sense of humour.
>>
>>7214680
No I think the joke here is that you can't make fucking bread. A staple since the monolithic era. You fail at the simplest of tasks so you look for a scapegoat, that staple being the rcbi (ranch, caesar, balsamic, and italian) community. Your failure at the simplest fucking achievement ever
> make fucking bread
Is a reflection of what you are and the bigotry oozing out of your posts show that.

Unfuck your baking and your dressism will dissipatw. Good luck anon
Namaste
>>
>>7214697
> and all I wanted was someone to agree with me that Ceasar dressing is gud
>>
>>7212598

You could try taking one of the oven racks and putting it on the highest level, with the middle of it covered in foil - try to stop the direct heat and scorching, and get a more even heat around the whole oven.

This would mostly be useful for longer baked stuff, where the heating element will cycle on and off a few times.
>>
File: ss+(2014-10-10+at+10.09.12).jpg (263 KB, 1556x683) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-10-10+at+10.09.12).jpg
263 KB, 1556x683
I thought I was the only one having suck a kind of oven, I asked reddit about it and got some tips : https://www.reddit.com/r/Breadit/comments/3obdcs/my_oven_only_heats_from_above_how_to_adapt/

I still managed to pull out some decent breads like this one
>>
>>7214769
Even if most of the times this was the result
>>
>>7212598
Try baking pizzabread or focaccia, that will turn out amazing.
>>
>>7214508
>electric oven

Possibly not the best idea to fill it with steam.
>>
>>7212622
This
Likely under proofed
Proof times vary depending on temperature
Warmer weather the dough will proof faster, colder weather it proofs more slowly
Also it sounds like your electric oven is a nightmare & likely contributes to your problem
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.