[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eurofag here, I've always wondered what's up with "swiss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: HE_swiss-cheese_s4x3_lead.jpg (9 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
HE_swiss-cheese_s4x3_lead.jpg
9 KB, 400x300
Eurofag here, I've always wondered what's up with "swiss cheese"? Looks like Emmental, which is considered to be in the bottom tier of swiss cheeses.

How does it taste? And do the Americans know that this is not real swiss cheese?
>>
Americans don't place the importance of their culture entirely on a fucking food product.
>>
>>7212073
Americans have no culture, apart from being imbeciles.
>>
>>7212053
Get over it OP.
As long as it has the right bacteria in fermentation, it qualifies as that type of cheese. Whether you like it aged or young, is preference, as it is for most cheeses.
>>
>>7212084
You do realize that that this cheese does not exist in Switzerland? It is some kind of generalisation of an idea of what swiss cheese could be? Does it taste like Emmental?
>>
>>7212053
It tastes sortve bitter
Goes good on burgers or chicken sometimes

I'll admit, I've always thought that this was actual Swiss cheese
>>
>>7212084
>As long as it has the right bacteria in fermentation, it qualifies as that type of cheese
A proof that either you have no idea of how cheeses are produced & classified, or that "swiss cheese" is some kind of shitty factory cheese?
>>
>>7212053
That isn't swiss cheese?

>>7212113
American swiss is butter tasteless white filth, nothing but fat.
>>
Does everyone in eurotrashland have autism?
Sure seems that way 2 me
>>
>>7212152
It's an image of American cheese called "swiss cheese".
>>
>>7212152
>nothing but fat
>tasteless

you realize fat is like...what gives food flavor right? fat is the opposite of lacking taste, how dumb are you poors
>>
>>7212161
Go eat a block of lard and tell us how much flavor it had.
>>
File: 1.jpg (67 KB, 1262x723) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
67 KB, 1262x723
>>7212184
Damn bruh
>>
>>7212184
I'm not drunk enough to eat your moms ass
>>
>>7212184
Brrrrrrrrnnnnn.
>>
>>7212152
>American swiss is butter tasteless white filth, nothing but fat.

I understand some people might disparage it, but if you think it's tasteless, then there's something seriously wrong with your taste buds. I mean even shitty Kraft swiss has a flavor.

And OP, any Americans vaguely familiar with food knows that our mass-produced cheeses are pale imitations of their European namesakes. With the exception of American cheese, our sole contribution to cheesemaking, which is a sad indictment of the industry. In our defense, Americans with money to spare generally buy imported European cheeses. Which are themselves sometimes watered down versions of the same cheeses in Europe, because our government is protecting us from the epidemic of cheese deaths they think you must suffer from eating raw milk cheeses.
>>
>>7212152
Actually a lot of swiss is made with skim milk, so less fat
>>
>>7212248
>And OP, any Americans vaguely familiar with food knows that our mass-produced cheeses are pale imitations of their European namesakes. With the exception of American cheese, our sole contribution to cheesemaking, which is a sad indictment of the industry. In our defense, Americans with money to spare generally buy imported European cheeses. Which are themselves sometimes watered down versions of the same cheeses in Europe, because our government is protecting us from the epidemic of cheese deaths they think you must suffer from eating raw milk cheeses.
Huh?
American cheese isn't really a actual cheese type, rather the contribution is Colby, which is indeed an american invention. And, the dairy cattle industry in the US makes it the largest cheesemaker in the world, and it aint to make crap inferior cheese unless you find young cheeses worthless (which you shouldn't).
The rest of your argument might be true in whatever you think is reality of your family, but it's simply not true in the rest of the US. Cheese is taken seriously here and craft cheese-makers exist in every locale, and win awards as does american craft beer. yes, people buy european cheeses, because some of the exchange rates do the same or better than original sources, or local sources (ie cheap). Spanish gouda is one example. Gayo Azul is a better exchange rate. There's nothing magical about the milk from Spain to Holland. But, there is something magical about the cheddar from Ireland or north of England. There's some cave aged miracles, and reggiano parm isn't yet accomplished better. But, maytag blue? Delicious.

If you've never been to a good cheese selection in an american market, you live somewhere sad and boring.
>>
>>7212300
>There's nothing magical about the milk from Spain to Holland

But there is. Many European cheeses are made with unpasteurized milk whereas that is very unusual in the US cheesemaking industry (and in many states is actually illegal). Pasteurizing the milk has a large impact on the flavor of the cheese because the heat deactivates various enzymes present in the milk.
>>
>>7212318
Grass fed over corn fed?
>>
>>7212318
>But there is. Many European cheeses are made with unpasteurized milk whereas that is very unusual in the US cheesemaking industry

In gouda, it doesn't matter, because it's traditionally made pasteurized as we know it by definition. There's nothing preventing some artisan from modifying the recipe and still calling it gouda, but it's not the same cheese by definition then.

>>7212325
>Grass fed over corn fed?
You would think it matters, but for flavor it doesn't, it simply increases the milkfat, something separated from liquid whey at the time of cheesemaking anyway. So, where does it mater? For fresh dairy products like butter and milk, where the extra butterfat and vitamins would make you like both the flavor and the richer yellow color, but diary farmers can make butter richer if they wanted to, but they don't. Also, no modern farm is strictly only grass fed anyway, cattle would be too lean and not keep up with the demands of milking caloric output. Ignore what you read in bullshit articles and look at the reality of actual business of cheesemakers anon. It's always middle ground situation, not some utopia of the old ways. Grain fed cows are here to stay, to some degree, and it's been that way for centuries in every part of the world if they graze at will too.
>>
>>7212053
Like a shitty Gruyere or Emmental

Pretty sure they we just use "swiss" as a term to produce it domestically and get past the cultural protection or whatever.

Usually tastes alright, depending on if you get a decent kind. Most people don't care since they have no attachment to cheese and usually eat Kraft shit like singles or "Parmesan." In my grocery store and even the chain places they carry Gruyere and Emmental and plenty others so good cheese isn't unheard of.
>>
>>7212053
a lot of foods in american english are named after where the immigrants who most commonly ate the product 100 years ago came from
>>
>>7212345
>Implying that the food the animals eat doesn't affect the quality.

Been living in France for a while now, and obviously now know a lot more about cheese than before. Basically there are few things affecting the quality of a cheese: the location where the animals live and what they eat, the animals themselves (usually inherited from parents in a family and of a certain race), skill of the cheesemaker and the location where the cheese is matured. If you ask from any french cheesemaker they will say that obviously what the animals eat affects the quality of cheese, that's why most of the protected cheeses are tied to a certain area.
Anecdote: most of the Camembert sold today is shit. This is because few huge companies have bought out most of the small cheese producers in Camembert, and now transport milk in to the area from wherever they can get it the cheapest. The difference of the taste with real and fake Camembert is huge.
And by the way, here you can still find real farms as most of the French luckily still get their products from small producers, because that supermarket shit just has no taste.
>>
Of course Americans don't know that it's not real swiss cheese. Like all other American food it's bland garbage. They put it on their subways on occasion, but typically they go for the orange variety of processed cheese, for the softer texture and increased fat and salt content. Much like their 'chocolate' they forgo genuine foods for cheaper, blander, waxy alternatives.

Don't try to argue with an American about their domestic food products, they will write off anything that is essential to the food-making process as superfluous so long as the sugar or fat content remains high.
>>
>>7215104
I have eaten better food in my life than you have, I can guarantee this
>>
>>7212053
>do the Americans know that this is not real swiss cheese?

America is China tier with their consumer protection laws. The country is full of cheaply made ripoffs with the name of the real thing slapped on.
>>
>>7212083
American culture is taking over the entire world. You're welcome.
>>
>>7215451
62% white and falling.
>>
>>7215455
>*drinks coca cola*
>>
>>7212154
No, but we have some fucking great cheese
>>
>>7212053

Canadian here. I can't remember what emmental tastes like, and to be honest, genuine emmental probably isn't available here anyway, so it wouldn't be all that useful to you even if I could make a direct comparison.

"Swiss cheese" is a mild cheese. It has more nose than, say, a young gouda, but it is my no means strong in taste or smell.

Like anything, when it's heated up or melted, the flavour intensifies a bit, which I guess it why it's used in burgers so much. Melted swiss is delicious. Swiss out of the fridge doesn't taste like much, and the mouthfeel isn't anything to write home about either. It's sort of rubbery.

The smell is somewhat sour. other adjectives elude me, but it smells a bit like feet. Sorry to give such an image, but let's be real - cheese stinks sometimes.
>>
>>7215455
10% kebab and rising
>>
>>7212113
None of the ripoffs in America are the actual cheeses.
>>
>>7212300
I think the most pathetic thing Americans do is plead with us about muh microcheeseries and muh microbrews.

It always reads like they are trying to prove the quality to themselves more than us.
>>
>>7215466
>Coca-Cola is culture

Just when you thought Amerilards couldn't get any stupider.
>>
>>7215544
You either have a very sharp "Swiss cheese" or a very mild gouda because I've never had an American Swiss that seemed stronger than gouda.
>>
>>7216021
It's actually the other way around m8. Eurofags don't like being BTFO in the cheese game by a country that's only been around for less than 250 years, do they try to b8 us by mocking our chems
>>
File: Cheese in America.jpg (35 KB, 608x380) Image search: [Google]
Cheese in America.jpg
35 KB, 608x380
>>7216067
People mock you for your retardation, take your post for example, a child would be embarrassed if they wrote it.

Yum yum American "cheese".
>>
>>7215455
America is 62% white? That's fucking hilarious. I always thought it was about 80%.
>>
>>7216077
>gets told what's what
>resorts to childish name calling

Nice deflection
>>
File: 450px-Jonah_Hill_-_001.jpg (67 KB, 450x599) Image search: [Google]
450px-Jonah_Hill_-_001.jpg
67 KB, 450x599
>>7216213
>attempt to take an argument seriously on 4chan
>my opponent does a 2.44ad-fallicial-homeninus fallacy retorting into a hyperextended strawman

People these days can't handle a true internet debate.
>>
>>7216213
I see you just report to shitposting when called out.

I guess it's my fault for expecting better from Clappyfats.
>>
>>7216067
It's "fewer than 250 years".
Truly you Americans are even less cultured than your processed cheese products.
>>
>>7217831
No, it's 'less', which is used in describing bulk quantities, i.e. 'Less than' phrases.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.