[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid /ck/ questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 31E9C9NCCPL.jpg (15 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
31E9C9NCCPL.jpg
15 KB, 500x301
>What's the proper way to clean a cast iron pan?

>If all the nutrients from a vegetable are lost when you drain the water from the pot, what's the best way to eat them when cooked this way? Just take them out of the pot and deal with the water later?

>What the fuck is tumeric for?
>>
Why are you greentexting your own questions?
>>
>>7210955
Boiling water.

More nutrients are made available because they're cooked than raw. The water is inconsequential. Just steam shit if you're that gay about it.

Color.
>>
>>7210955
The same as everything else (except no dishwashers), then re-season every season.

Stop being dumb and just make a vegetable soup

Overpowering other tastes (mainly those found in lard)
>>
>>7210995
>The same as everything else (except no dishwashers), then re-season every season.
Isn't soap really bad for it, though? Also, do you have any tips for re-seasoning?
>>
>>7211006
Soap doesn't hurt cast iron, water does. If your seasoning goes away with one cleaning of soap, then either
A - you left the pan wet after cleaning like a tard (just put it on the stove and heat it for like a minute)
B - you used cast iron to scrape an entire layer off
C - your cast iron isn't seasoned at all
Tips for re-seasoning: Stop being a paranoid freak, a bit of brown bits stuck on the bottom is still better than using aluminum/steel/teflon wares (teflon mostly because teflon over an electric range almost automatically equals shit food), your pot determines how much it's gonna stick as much as your seasoning "technique" goes, it gets better as you use it more and scrape more shit off the bottom, stop being a pansy
>>
>>7211046
and by "you used cast iron to scrape an entire layer off" I meant steel wool
In case you ever do need to use steel wool rough side of sponge takes off just about everything when the pan is hot, but in case you're a massive fuckup) just put a spoon of oil in there after you heat it to dry, wipe it across the bottom of the pan with paper towel, keep heating it until it's smoking, then turn off the heat.
That's all there is to it. You really should never have to do this after your first month with cast iron because you'll be smart enough to not set off the fire alarm. Hopefully.
>>
>>7211059
good god I cannot type tonight
put a ( bracket inbefore rough
and remember that it's good for braising too, produces more consistent batches than standard stock pots on electric ranges
if you got a gas range then use whatever the fuck you want, consistent open flames are far and away superior to anything electric and will render the cast iron more or less obsolete
>>
>>7211046
>mostly because teflon over an electric range almost automatically equals shit food
explain
>>
>>7211079
I also should have added, what's the difference between cooking on an electric range and cooking on a gas range?
>>
>>7211079
electric range: on and off, on and off, no consistency whatsoever unless you want to turn it to high and burn everything like a maniac and wake everyone up within five blocks because the goddamn government gotta have fucking lil beepers that annoy the fuck out of me as soon as I try and cook anything
open flame: consistent temperature
>>
>>7210955
While the thing is hot rinse it with water, then put some course salt on it and rub anything left in the pan out. Never use any metallic or other stuff on a properly seasoned cast iron skillet. Kosher salt is usually best because it's course. If wiping it out with a paper towel then make sure to not throw it directly into a trash can because that can start a fire, I usually throw them into a sink for a few minutes to let the paper towels cool down. Let it air dry afterwards and never ever use a washing machine on one.
>>
Course salt is really good for cleaning a cast iron skillet because it's hard enough to clean it, but not so hard to harm the patina.
>>
File: turmeric-root.jpg (351 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
turmeric-root.jpg
351 KB, 900x600
>>7210955
>>What the fuck is tumeric for?

Turmeric is fucking delicious, but the dried & powdered kind loses its flavor very fast. If it's been sitting on the shelf at the supermarket (or in your pantry) for a while then it won't taste of much.

Try and find turmeric root and use that instead. It's common at Asian markets, and I've even started to see it at some big supermarkets too.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.