[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is sashimi overrated? Had the omakase at one of the top places
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: sashimi-resized.jpg (209 KB, 700x395) Image search: [Google]
sashimi-resized.jpg
209 KB, 700x395
Is sashimi overrated?
Had the omakase at one of the top places in my non-flyover area, and it was mostly unremarkable. A fascinating experience but I'm not sure I'd get it again.
Note that I'd believe that I'm just a plebian, the weirdest thing I've eaten are either sweetbreads or foie gras. I've also had escargot, but those aren't that fancy.
>>
>>7210888
It is sliced raw fish, there is only so much you can do with it before it becomes Sushi.
>>
Yes, it is probably overrated. No, it isn't shit though. It is not going to be a mind blowing experience, but that is sort of the point. It is stripped down simple raw flesh of a particular animal. You get to experience its flavor with little to no frills. There is something to be said for that.
>>
>>7210888
I loves me some raw fish, tuna being my favorite, but really, yeah it's probably an overrated fad food.
That being said, you really don't know what a certain fish tastes like until you try it. It's kinda a hard thing to generalize as the flavor varies so wildly. I'd suggest trying it again
>>
Done exquisitely, it's heaven. Plenty of good sashimi out there, but the gap to amazing is a big leap and very few places can do it at that level (sourcing both the best fish and the best talent).

Anecdotal, but that's my take after 5 years in Japan eating sushi (and everything else) coast to coast. Tsukiji fucking rocks.
>>
>>7210888
It's fishermen food. It's just pleb food.
>>
>>7210888
imo you have to taste a lot of sashimi to appreciate the differences (both between good/bad and different types of fish)

i wouldn't even begin to think i have sophisticated pallet, but living in a very sushi heavy city in america, i'm able to taste the difference between good and bad, and differentiate between a couple fish. blind taste: no way i could tell shit.

acquired taste with such is real: it's not that you need to build up to be able to handle random sushi, but you need to build up to understand the nuances.

tldr: sushi is very subtle, eat moar.
>>
>>7211643
one more thing: i'm thin and sushi will never make me full.

it pisses me off because i'm dropping 50+ for a meal.

always remember that japan has the lowest rate if overweight people (outside of literally staving countries) japan does not eat until it is full.

this makes me savor sushi more. i'm spending bank and it won't get me full = enjoy, it's an experience (without sounding too weeb)
>>
>>7210888

I always think its one of those foods that you have to really "get" if that makes sense.
I love raw and rare meat, for me there is something about the flavor of good meat thats just so sweet and delicious, and for me good sashimi has that delicate meaty yet sweet flavor. But I can totally see its not for everyone, and that its definatly a flavor that you really have to love, I imagine if you are a lover of spicey or strong flavored foods, you would find sashimi rather bland.
I do think its overpriced though, which is a shame cause its one of those things that you can eat a fuckload of and not get fat.
>>
It's basic food. I enjoy it myself, but I wouldn't think that it's anything too great, especially since I'm very picky with the temperature.
>>
If you're expecting some flavour explosion, you don't understand how food works. But if you're fishing and wanna start eating your hapuku straight away, then sashimi is an awesome way to enjoy fish so fresh it was in the ocean 20 minutes ago
>>
>>7213858
Subtlety is a big part of Japanese cuisine. I kinda like that. Sometimes it's done really well, by a person who understands it. Pretty much anywhere within a block of Tsukiji market is a safe bet. If you're in Denver, pickins be a bit more slim. But most of the time, you'd rather have some nigiri or temaki, anyway. More variables, more fun.

But yeah. Most sashimi is overrated. I did see a paper-thin usuzukuri in Charleston, SC once. Perfect, somehow.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.