[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there really not a sticky for this board? i need to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: halloween.png (441 KB, 432x540) Image search: [Google]
halloween.png
441 KB, 432x540
is there really not a sticky for this board?

i need to learn how to cook

i need to learn how to clean cookware

is using steel wool bad? i used it on a pot and now i regret it and want to just throw it out and buy another one
>>
File: my boo.jpg (35 KB, 425x313) Image search: [Google]
my boo.jpg
35 KB, 425x313
>>7210489
green scouring pad is life.
>>
>>7210489
ask your mom/grandma/aunts

thats how i learned the basics and went up from there
>>
>>7210495
>>7210504
>>7210507
>is using steel wool bad? i used it on a pot and now i regret it and want to just throw it out and buy another one

pls respond
>>
>>7210489
>clean cookware
For the love of god, don't saturate your sponge with food gunk then just leave it there to rot. Wipe the bulk of stuff off with your hand first.
Another thing, if you're lazy and don't plan on washing things until sometime next month, do NOT leave your half eaten lasagna soaking, please. Dry food does not make the house smell like an asshole.
>>
>>7210514
Literally the only use for steel wool is getting charred crap off uncoated pans, and destroying all your other dishware. Do not get a steel wool scrubber unless you're retarded and therefore need one.
>>
>>7210527
the pan i had was a non stick stainless steel pot and i made scrambled eggs without using oil to cook

would you say i needed to use steel wool for that?
>>
>>7210507
This. I learned the basics from my mom and some recipes from my dad too.
Just watch them next time someone's making a meal and you'll pick it up eventually.
>>
>>7210537
>uncoated pans, and destroying all your other dishware
Is nonstick coated?
>>
>>7210542
how did i fuck up

the pot doesn't even look like i used anything on it
>>
>>7210537
>>7210542
>>7210548
woops i meant to say non non-stick, as in, there isn't any shit on it to prevent sticking

the whole reason i bought this one was because i bought a non stick one a few weeks ago but im paranoid that its going to make me sick if i get it too hot
>>
>>7210553
>paranoid that its going to make me sick if i get it too hot

Are you a bird? If not, stop worrying.
>>
>>7210566
what if i accidentally put some scratches in it with a cooking utensil

does that make it any more susceptible to giving off toxic fumes
>>
>>7210575
Delete this thread and fucking use google, it isn't that hard
>>
File: 5.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
>>7210575

Yes. That will definitely kill you.
>>
>>7210575
Don't do this; it makes mustard gas.
>>
>>7210592
epic troll dude
>>
>>7210575
If it's not non stick I.e. it looks like metal(pic related) you can literally scrub that shit forever without fucking it up, that is until you scrub through it.
With stainless, the left of pic related, it's best to clean right away even while still a little hot scrub if needed green scrub sponges are fine, deep scratches will make things more likely to stick, steel wool can be used to polish those out, but that's really the only reason to use it
The right of pic related is cast iron
No soap unless you plan on re-seasoning it but I'm not going to go into all of that. If it gets really bad and there's a good build up, you can put it in your oven and run it through the cleaning cycle if your oven offers that, then re-season
Anything else, nothing rougher than green scrubby
>>
>>7210632
Also, use fine steel wool
OP sounds like you used the thick stuff, that should be in the garage
>>
>>7210651
the steel wool i used was labeled 0 grade
>>
>>7210660
Well I stand corrected, it won't hurt you or the pan but do use something next time, I suggest butter instead of oil for eggs. Oil is good for veggies and meat but some meat, like beef, you can just toss some salt in there, just a dash once the skillet is hot. Hot skillet is key too. A little trick to see if the skillet is hot enough: flick a couple of drops of water on there, if it sizzles away immediately, you're good. Don't do that with oil in the pan, hot oil and water are a bad combo. Oil is ready just before it starts smoking, so you gotta kinda play around with it to figure it out on your stove
>>
>>7210489
>i need to learn how to clean cookware
Fill up a sink with hot soapy water as you cook, and dip that stuff in as you mess it up, let it get soaked, or just clean stuff immediately as you cook

I usually use the two sided sponge idea, a medium duty scrub with normal cellulose sponge side, such as Cello or my store brand.

Hot water, great grease-cutting surfactant like liquid Dawn (other brands are mostly water), and for tough baked on glazed messes like pyrex/corning splatter and to polish up steel from burned foods jobs, I'll use the soap impregnated brillo pads (I might use 1 every 3 months, use gloves!).

If you do not have an automatic dishwasher, you need to get a rubbermaid washbasin to add to your double sink, if you want to 3 step your dishes, and add bleach to your rinse step (prevents virus and makes things hospital clean when you have houseguests or people you don't trust not to have hepatitis). You'll also need an air drying dish rack. I may soapy-sponge clean a Tervis before use, but for doing it right, you'll need to completely air-dry or bleach rinse step, before putting them all away.
>>
>>7210699
i don't have any oil or butter thats why the eggs probably got stuck to the pot really badly

also i looked at the cardboard that my non stick pot was in and it says pfoa free

do i have anything to worry about if i want to use that one?

do i still need to use butter or oil if i cook on the non stick one?

>tfw i havent eaten any real food for the past few days because im too paranoid to use my pot because i feel like it's going to make me sick
>>
ck.booru.org is a piece of shit
thinking about starting a quality /ck/ recipe website that moderates submissions and only excludes ultra low quality recipes and troll recipes
>>
>>7210728
GOOGLE IT jesus christ dude, this board is not here to be your personal mommy
>>
>>7210746
google is shit for these kinds of things since they are opinions
>>
>>7210749
then why ask at all
you do you

i use butter instead of olive oil cause olive oil splatters everywhere if i take too long
>>
>>7210796
because i know that other people know better than i do and i want to be healthy and safe :/
>>
>>7210728
No you won't get sick butter and oil are essential kitchen items even with coated non stick you'll need something
>>
>>7210805
im not talking about the butter and oil making me sick im talking about using the non stick pot
>>
>>7210807
If it's coated with Teflon and the coating is chipping off, you might wanna consider getting a new one, if it's not coated, as in the metal ones I posted earlier, you'll be fine
>>
>>7210489
I feel the same way. I have no fucking clue how to cook, I come here because it's one of thew few good boards and I like food.
>>
>>7210527
if you have a brushed stainless pot you can use steel wool with never a scratch BUT you must use the super coarse steel wool.dont use it on polished stainless
never use the fine stuff and never use SOS pads they will fuck everything up.
and if you didnt know grren scrubbies aka 3m pads will also scratch. they even scratch glass
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.