[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>started working as dish washer >tell head-chef since the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: dishwasher.jpg (41 KB, 499x277) Image search: [Google]
dishwasher.jpg
41 KB, 499x277
>started working as dish washer
>tell head-chef since the very beggining that I love cooking and have passion for food
>7 months of hard work, cleaning burnt pots, went by
>head-chef not happy with some cooks
>head-chef approaches me and tells me that appreciates my work and wants me to step in as a chef
>we shake hands firmly while I thank him, dropping some spaghetti in the process
>feelsgood.jpeg
>mfw head-chef starts telling other cooks/chefs that I'm going to be a chef in our kitchen
>mfw I have no face

Probably I will start in January when the holiday season passes by and he has more time to guide/teach me. What do you think family?

ITT: more kitchen stories
>>
>>7210152
You're going to be a cook in the kitchen. If you work hard and are very lucky you may end up a chef someday. First you have to become a decent cook.
>>
Also.. The only cooking experience I have is cooking for my family for about 7 years. Will I make it professionally?
>>
>>7210152

Good job, friend.
Keep up the hard work and you'll go far.
>>
>bake pie
>drop it on the floor
>I've never even swept up
>Toss it in the trash and smear sticky pie print into the linoleum with my sneakers.
>>
>>7210162
Learn what they teach you. Do it the way they tell you.

Spend your time off work decompressing right... Go in to work focused.

We can do anything. Cooking is possible for anyone with decent hands and a working nose/tongue.
>>
>>7210161
Thanks. I didn't even think about being a chef. I'm quite humble and I just want to cook. And when he said "chef" I felt a bit awkward, because being a chef is much more than being just a cook.
>>
>>7210174
I know the difference of each cook/chef station.
What I didn't expect was for him to announce my "promotion" to the other cooks. It felt good but awkward at the same time.
And yes, I've paid attention. Saw several stuff being teach to the student cooks like, how to remove skin from a seabass filet, how to poach an egg, how to differentiate between rare/medium-rare/medium steak, etc.. But this stuff I already know, but its not mastered.
>>
>>7210164
Thank you dear anon

>>7210175
Thanks for your useful tips.
>>
>>7210152

congrats OP, now time to start your self-education.

read/watch cooking essentials with jacques pepin, make sure you can cook different thicknesses of meat to desired internal temperature, get your knife skills up to par
>>
>>7210182
most legit restaurants that have a legit cooking staff (not just a group of shit heads in need of a jobs) throw the chef title around because they follow the whole old school kitchen system. It feels pretty good and its good camaraderie
>>
>>7210206
>how to poach an egg
was it the swirling water meme? that shit has never worked for me, nor any other tip about cooking liquid in liquid.

i figured it out though, you just place the whole cracked egg and your hands into the NOT boiling water and release it, if there is no turbulence in the water the egg comes out perfect every fucking time.
>>
>>7210237
I already have some background due to self-education, but I think its not enough. Thanks for the tip. Never heard of jacques pepin, maybe he's not too mainstream(tv/web).
>>
>>7210275
>maybe he's not too mainstream
hes literally the grandfather of modern cuisine and the most important chef alive. Read his books hes great
>>
>>7210272
yeah it's probably my techniece, i'm no cook or chef just a shitposter from /g/, but whenever i try the swirl method it creates these tiny vortexes that pull out strands of the white and make the egg look "hairy".

ideas?
>>
>>7210264
>>7210272
What I saw was with the swirling water technique. It came out pretty well, they just trimmed a tiny bit of egg white that wasn't too pretty.
>>
>>7210283
Will do senpai!
>>
>>7210295
just dont boil the water, keep it at a simmer. and it shouldnt break up as much.
>>
>>7210315
ok i think i've noticed a pattern, the various spinnan egg videos all use a fairly large 6-9" saucepan, i use a 4.5" shallow depth "pouching" saucepan, so it looks like the egg being that close to the walls causes problems.
>>
>>7210182
He was expressing his confidence in you. You worked hard enough and followed directions well enough to get pulled onto the line. Those qualities should allow you to do well on the line. If you manage to learn a lot, are a good team player and develop leadership skills you could very well be a chef someday.
>>
ITT: A guy who thinks he's going to be on line right away.

You're going to need to move up a lot more, and you're going to probably get your ass kicked, unless it's a relaxed restaurant.
Listen to chef, and the cooks, try and work as closely as possible with the sous, and don't be a big mouth, or get to comfortable too quickly. Stay humble and keep your head down, anon.
>>
>>7210371
Thank you for you kind words anon. I really felt flattered and didn't expect that at all from the head-chef. I'm really eager to cook and learn.
>>
>>7210152
>ITT: Things that never happened
>>
>>7210381
I know that I'm not going straight to the line. I'll be happy just by doing the kitchen-prep, cutting vegetables and other stuff, rather than wash the dishes.
It depends. Sometimes it gets crazy. I'm a humble guy and will never forget where I started and the time it took to get here.
>>
>>7210419
You've got the right idea, anon. Keep it up, and you'll for sure move up the ranks.
>>
>>7210400
Why don't you provide real stories then?

>ITT: more kitchen stories
please anons feel free to contribute, don't forget this is a kitchen stories thread.
>>
>>7210152
I'm not your fucking family you pathetic micro penis manlet nerd. Don't you EVER call me that again.
>>
>>7210428
Thanks anon
>>
>>7210400
Are you really skeptical of someone getting a job as a line cook? More so someone getting a promotion? Youre not bright are you?
>>
heya, thats really good news man!!!

really well done m8 !!!

the basics are alot in this work, be prepared to work 12 to 14 hours a day :"D

i did a 4.5 year school study to become a chef, and my headchef really apreciates the work i do!

love to hear stories about chef and kitches.. im doing a pastry school now : D can make bonbons and whatever :D
>>
>>7210447
Y U mad senpai?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.