[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a feeling there's a lot of indian and other southern/south-western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ls.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ls.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
I have a feeling there's a lot of indian and other southern/south-western asian peoples on /ck/. A question to you is there is an "asian" store by me pic related and I wanted to get into cooking these foods but too much of an autist to ask the lady behind the counter. What recipes and techniques would you suggest for a beginner in the art of Indian (and similar) cooking. Also what ingredients should a white boy look for that may not have English names.

>tl;dr: how do I cook Indian food, and what do I buy.
>>
OP with more info:
I'm not a complete retard in the kitchen, and am proficient in other styles of cooking so this is more asking for food names/hard to find ingredients only asian stores would have. Also Southern Asia food general.
>>
Not even a poo in the loo? God damnit /ck/
>>
>>7210974
>>>/pol/
if you seriously want to learn to cook indian food find fucking indian cookbooks and study up
>>
>>7210987
Sure will then. Enjoy your 3 knife threads, and all those japanese food pictures
>>
>>7210987
POO
>>
look for spice mixes to make a few different curry-type dishes. get one for beans, one for meat. they should have directions on how to prepare the entire dish. buy a few premade items. this is just so you can get used to the cooking techniques and flavors.

when i went to a market like this, an incredibly friendly worker came up to me and offered help. don't be afraid, people usually love sharing their culture with someone who is interested.
>>
>>7211020
Leave.
>>
>>7211048
2030 superpower detected
>>
>>7211048
But the toilet witch might get me
>>
>>7209927

northern indian recipes seem to have more accessible and less ingredients.

Try rajma masala or chana masala. Both are easy and tasty. Definitely buy bags of the common spices; coriander, cumin, tumeric. And have the other essentials ginger, garlic, and chilis and you are good to go. I generally say fuck it to fenugreek leaves. Also be sure to get the right chili powder if you use it: the regular stuff most americans have is not right and your dishes will end up tasting like american-style chili.
>>
>>7211102
Thanks for the info!
>>
>>7209927
Heres how I make a great chicken curry.
What you need
Chicken stock, 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion, 4-5 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, 3 serrano peppers, 3-4 jalapenos, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tbsp cayenne, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp corriander, 1 tsp garam marsala.

Brown up some chicken in plenty of oil then set aside.Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and peppers for about 8-10 minutes until nice and soft. Add all the spices and cook for a minute or two then add the can of tomatoes, plain yogurt, cilantro and a cup and a half of chicken stock. Add the chicken back to the pot, bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 15 minutes.

For the rice, get 2 cups of jasmine rice and rinse it for a minute or two. Bring 2 cups of jasmine rice and 3 cups of water to a boil then turn the heat off and cover. 15 minutes later its done.
This recipe is one of my favorites to cook.
>>
Learn to cook lentils.
The pressure cooker us your friend for most curries.
Cardamom is expensive but necessary.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.