[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best chef knife under 200 bucks? Was looking at pick related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 61ciJ5U0TmL._SL1500_.jpg (44 KB, 1500x1071) Image search: [Google]
61ciJ5U0TmL._SL1500_.jpg
44 KB, 1500x1071
Best chef knife under 200 bucks?

Was looking at pick related but a lot of people say they chip a lot easier compared to the German ones?
>>
tojiro dp gyuto
>>
im looking for some good knives too kinda cheap so BUMPERINO!
>>
>>7206947
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-8-Inch-Fibrox-Straight/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=lp_2530728011_1_2?srs=2530728011&ie=UTF8&qid=1451255701&sr=8-2

if you are looking for a good cheap knife it doesn't get better than this

the tojiro is going to be the cheapest knife with a "super steel" blade.

Shun knives like in OP probably aren't any better, but they do look really nice.

Westhoff and Messermeister are going to be the more beefy western counterparts, they are more durable and weigh a lot more.
>>
>>7206965

tried victorinox well its good for starters. ill check the other ones thnx very much!
>>
Messermeister Oliva
>>
Basically if you are lazy and have shit knife skills go German they are built like tanks and use resistant steel.

Japanese knives use steel like VG-10 that is super sharp, and consequently very brittle and if you are rough on it, you will fuck it up fast. They also need to be taken care of a lot more, cleaned after every use and stored properly... and you probably are going to want to learn how to use a whetstone.\

Shun > Tojiro btw fags
>>
>>7206922
Not gonna lie i just got gifted the cutco santoku knife as a gift and the handle is amazing for my hand size. Pretty cheap and don't know what youre looking for so throwing that out there. So nice to hold
>>
>>7207035

>cleaned after every use and stored properly

That's true of every knife, though.

Also, Shun is 2-3 times the price of Tojiro. People suggest the latter for it's value.

>still prefer my global to shun's clunky handle/feel
>>
Masakage has a few offerings under that price
>>
>>7206922
I grew up using French type knifes, but lately I switched to a CCK KF1803, it's a stainless steel chinese chef knife. I really love it.
I use a Herder Windmühle Yatagan for when I need a really fine sharp blade.
>>
What do you guys recommend for stones?

1000 into 4k/6k? Then maybe strop?

What are some good brands I can get on like amazon?
>>
>>7207172
Zische misarkana utlra blue
>>
>>7207184
Can I even get this shit in the US? Can't pull up anything in English.
>>
>>7207184

Do Doitch fags measure their stones in colors? Is it like how bongs can't count high enough to measure their weight and came up with stones?
>>
>>7207200
>Do Doitch fags measure their stones in colors? Is it like how bongs can't count high enough to measure their weight and came up with stones?
Nope, they measure it in FEPA, the colors are just an indicator for functional illiterate craftsmen.
It is a nice stone, fairly big, very hard bind, sharpens fast, lasts long, fair price.
Blue is JIS 1200 ( FEPA 500), white is JIS 4000 (FEPA 1200)
>>7207197
Unlikely, sorry, wasn't aware.
>>
>>7206922
I own the exact knife in your pic op
Very happy with it
Sharpen it properly & it will treat you right
I think I spent $170 for it
>>
>>7207223

>the colors are just an indicator for functional illiterate craftsmen

I was just making a joke, but it really is a bit like bongs with their stones.
>>
>>7206922

You can go whole hog and get a high carbon rust fast meme knife instead, it's stronger and tougher at the same hardness so less likely to chip.
>>
Wüsthof on sale
>>
I used to do knife demos at Williams-Sonoma, my favorite to use was definitely the Shun life, so if definitely recommend them if you can get them on sale.

By the way, employees get 40% off if you're looking for a seasonal gig that's food related, though it's a bit late this year.
>>
>>7206965

>weigh

There's light weight German knifes too. The Zwilling knives are generally pretty light and Wusthof has the Cordon Bleu.
>>
>>7207256
Shun line*, even.
>>
Sab K or Sab four elephant
J.A henckels pro line
Zwilling Pro or Twin
Miyabi(Zwilling)
Tojiro DP
Zhen
Messermeister
Sakai Takayuki
MAC
Norisada
Misono

You have a lot of quality choices in that $$range.

I would not reccomend Wusthoff, Cutco or Global
>>
File: alton noveske.jpg (62 KB, 560x548) Image search: [Google]
alton noveske.jpg
62 KB, 560x548
Based Alton prefers shuns.

They seem to be the Noveske of the knife world.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 1047x1396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 1047x1396
Did this last night making chicken chasseur. Devastated.
>>
>>7207521
That's a Mac by the way.
>>
>>7207521

>hunter's chicken
>requires breaking down a carcass
>uses a ultramaxhard weeb knife for this task
>knife chips

you're devastated? you brought this on yourself. wrong knife for the task, bro

gyuto are made for the japanese style of cooking, which is that someone else breaks down the meat into boneless peices and you slice a fuckload of vegetables with it. French knives work for french cooking
>>
>>7207475

*AB had an endorsement with Shun for a few years, and his own line of knives which flopped.
>>
What do you guys use to sharpen? Thinking about getting a ruixin (Apex clone) with an extra 6000 grid stone for the final edge/microbevel.
>>
>>7207035
Agree on the whole Shun > Tojiro, but that's not saying much. If you really think that Shun is top of the line and feel the need to compare it to others, then you're greatly mistaken. In comparison to common Japanese knife brands, shun is probably right above Tojiro. Those bragging about VG-10 should try other steels, and see the difference themselves.
>>
Victorinox vibrox or vibram or whichever isn't the thing that goes in shoes
>>
global g2 is great for a person who cooks at home a few times a week and doesn't need to spend $400 on a knife. It can also hold up in a commercial kitchen doing prep work and other taske. They are the perfect balance between affordability and performance. If well maintained it will last 6years to a decade.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.