[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone live in NYC? What's your favorite pizza restaurant there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: you done it.jpg (89 KB, 750x670) Image search: [Google]
you done it.jpg
89 KB, 750x670
Anyone live in NYC? What's your favorite pizza restaurant there?
>>
The one I get shipped from Chicago
>>
I like Joe's in the village a lot. Bleecker Street Pizza is overrated though, imo.
>>
I like to walk around until I come across the cheapest knockoff Ray's I can find.
>>
>>7203723
The classics in Manhattan are Lombardi's and Arturo's for coal oven style. Marta is probably the most popular wood oven joint at the moment.

My favorite if I just want a good wood oven pizza without making too much of a fuss over it is Lil' Frankie's. It's not "the best", but it's a very reliable Neapolitan style place, and it's a Frank Prisinzano joint - his places are always more than decent for the money.

For a slice joint Stromboli in the EV is a classic, but their sauce is a little sweet.

If you're willing to go to Bklyn the classics are L&B Spumoni Gardens and Totonno's, with Roberta's being the new guard not spot.
>>
Depends.

You can go to a famous out-of-the-way place like Di-Fara or you can stop by most random pizza joints for a slice. Pizza in New York is a super casual food and meant to be eaten on the go. Everyone has their own local spot but most places taste the same, more or less.

I would avoid the $1 slice places though. Shit ingredients so it really isn't worth your time unless you want something super quick and cheap.

You can check out Crocodile Lounge on 14th st. which has a great happy hour and with every drink, you get a free pizza. There's also Artichoke Pizza on the same block. Never been but I've heard it's good even though it's a bit expensive.
>>
>>7203764

some of the $1 slice places on christopher street are banging though
>>
File: 1449179263089.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1449179263089.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
I'd find a Key Food and pick up the ingredients to make your own.
>>
>>7203764
>Artichoke Pizza
They are terrible, though I remember people lining up around the block when they first opened. Their style is not really New York, it's pile-as-much-shit-as-possible on it pizza. Soggy, greasy and overpriced. Would not recommend.
>>
>>7203773
>Key Food
>>
>>7203764
Difaras is an unsanitary shit hole. Totonnos in coney is superior and the best in NYC.
>>
>>7203834
>Difaras is an unsanitary shit hole.
This is true, but Dom makes very good pizza. A decade ago it was worth the trip because few people in the city were making pizza that good. Now many pizza places have upped their game because of guys like Dom. Unfortunately this means it's no longer really worth a trip to Midwood and a long fucking wait to eat his pizza.

Totonno's is like Lombardi's (and Arturo's) - a very good pizza that is history. It might not be the best you've ever had, but it's more than just good pizza; it's a taste of what the first pizza in America was like. You're at ground zero for the Italian American experience. Lombardi's is from 1905, and Totonno's is 1924, founded by a former Lombardi's employee. That history is part of the experience - to have pizza made in a coal oven! (Arturo's came in the 50's, but it's the same style).

If you don't give a fuck about the history pretty much any upscale place that doesn't sell by the slice in Manhattan these days is turning out a decent pizza.
>>
>>7203882
IMO totonnos and difaras are pretty much the same pizza. Totonnos wins because you don't have to worry about e. coli or deal with the prima donna pizzaiolo bullshit you get at difaras.

Gio at Luigi's on 5th ave and 21st in BK makes probably the best quintessential street slice you can get.

2 Bros in the city makes a great slice for the money. When you're out late and shithoused, it can't be beat. I know a guy who manages 3 of them in midtown. The ingredients aren't actually that bad. Plenty of mom&pop pizzerias use the same stuff. They just make up in volume.

3rd generation Italian born&raised in brooklyn so that's my 2 cents.
>>
>>7203967
>IMO totonnos and difaras are pretty much the same pizza.
I don't see that at all. Dom's pies are topped with basil and olive oil once they come out of the oven. Totonno's uses neither on their pies, and they're baked at a much hotter temperature. Dom is more like what qualifies as modern high end pizza, and Totonno's is old school all the way.
>Gio at Luigi's on 5th ave and 21st in BK makes probably the best quintessential street slice you can get.
On this matter you are correct. Thankfully I don't live too far from there.

What do you think of the pizza at Toby's Ale House on 6th and 20th? I was not blown away, but I was surprised a sports bar could turn out such a good Neapolitan pie.
>>
>>7203723
something-Jackie-Chan-will-never-say-to-his-son.jpg
>>
>>7204018
My fault - i didn't mean "exactly the same". Just in terms of quality and taste.

I haven't tried toby's. I'll check it out next time I'm home, though.
>>
>>7204018
I forgot - San Remo on cortelyou rd makes a damn fine street slice. Almost but not quite on the level of Luigi's. Also, Gio is somehow related to them iirc
>>
>>7203723
Pizza Hut, NYC is garbage.
>>
Sbarro in Manhattan
>>
File: sbarro.png (226 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
sbarro.png
226 KB, 500x340
>>7204558

Go to bed, Michael.
>>
I went to a place called pizza suprema when I was in new York near Madison square garden. I thought it was really good, have any of you locals been?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.