[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ I come to you because I'm ashamed to admit I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: pbj[1].png (188 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
pbj[1].png
188 KB, 400x300
/ck/ I come to you because I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a pbj sandwich. I'm rather poor and want to gain a little bit of weight in muscle, and I hear peanut butter is a decent way to do that since it's mostly protein.

I already have a favorite peanut butter (my family uses it in cookies) and bread, what's the best jelly and why?
>>
>>7190120
You heard wrong.
>>
Grape.
Because God says so.
>>
>>7190120
its mostly fat bro, just read the macros on the back.
>>
>>7190120
Ignore these trolls. Peanut butter is good for you.
>>
It got some protein, but mostly fat. But it is extremely high caloric and if you know what you're doing, go for it!
I like mine with whole weat toast, the pb thinly spread, cause it's too oily for me otherwise. Then i put some rasperry jam on it. Pretty tasty.
>>
>>7190125
>anything but blackberry or boysenberry

fuckin dropped
>>
>>7190232
>not apple butter

Post dismissed
>>
>>7190273
fite me irl
>>
>>7190120
The one with least sugar. I had a pb&j for the first time in 10 years the other day and my teeth hurt from the intensity of the sweetness.

Strawberry, raspberry are pretty good. Grape is ok but is usually like 70% sugar.
>>
>>7190281
don't blame your enameless, gingivitis stricken cock hole on jam.
>>
OP, Peanut Butter is some final form god tier eats. You can put it on anything, it's nutrient dense and it's friggin delicious. Ya can't go wrong.
>>
>>7190287
Lol
If you eat like an american 9 year old for your whole life then you will view that amount of sugar as normal. If you eat like an adult then you would see that it's an obcene amount.

>>7190295
>nutrient dense
Hmmm
>>
>>7190334
You just have really shit teeth, nobody is eating PB&Js every single day

Also not very peanut butter is skippy extra crunchy
>>
>>7190334
If you eat sugar and your teeth hurt you legitimately have tooth problems that you need to get fixed, that isn't normal.

http://crest.com/en-us/oral-care-topics/sensitivity/why-are-my-teeth-sensitive-to-sugar
>Tooth sensitivity, regardless of the cause, can result from the loss of enamel on your teeth. There are many causes of teeth sensitive to sugar, but common causes include brushing too hard or enjoying too many highly acidic foods. (1) Both of these activities cause damage to the enamel of your teeth and can expose the sensitive inner layer of your teeth. Once the outer layer of enamel is damaged, sugary foods, hot or cold beverages, or other irritants have easier access to the nerve center of your teeth, which can cause sharp pain.
>>
>>7190341
I eat pb&j pretty regularly and I don't have sensitivity to sugar. I brush my teeth twice a day.
>>
File: meridian crunch large.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
meridian crunch large.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>>7190281
>The one with least sugar.

so, the one with no sugar?
>>
File: jifpeanut.jpg (20 KB, 250x420) Image search: [Google]
jifpeanut.jpg
20 KB, 250x420
>>7190120
>since it's mostly protein.

peanut butter is an incomplete protein
lotsa fat

but I luv dat stuff
>>
>>7190350
Why do people even buy peanut butter without palm oil it just separates and becomes gross.
>>
>>7190355
You mix in the oil
>>
>>7190356
But what are the benefits of not having palm oil? The only reasons I see are because it's high in saturated fat but you're already fucking eating peanut butter of all foods so who cares.

You're buying peanut butter that you have to stir every time for no reason at all
>>
>>7190355
>>7190360
I prefer the consistency
>>7190360
>stir every time

"no"
>>
>>7190360
Palm oil is a saturated fat, peanut oil is not.
>>
>>7190360

A lot of people have health objections to eating palm oil.

I personally don't mind the palm oil but I find that the brands containing palm oil usually come with a lot of other unnecessary crap like sugar as well.

Anyway, my supermarket has a machine set up that grinds peanuts directly into peanut butter. You can dispense as much or as little as you like and then pay by weight. I just buy a little at a time and I use it up before it separates. It tastes freaking amazing and contains nothing other than peanuts.
>>
>>7190369
It doesn't matter, it's still peanut butter. It's like buying fat free organic Oreos. They're still fucking Oreos.

>>7190371
That isn't peanut butter then, it's just ground up peanuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter

The guy who patented peanut butter originally put sugar in it to harden the consistency.
>>
>>7190377
>"natural" types of peanut butter consist solely of ground peanuts

hang yourself
>>
>>7190382
There's much debate over if they're actually considered peanut butter, or just ground up peanuts. IMO they're just ground up peanuts. You can't just grind something up and call it "something" butter, that isn't how it works.
>>
>>7190389
>You can't just grind something up and call it "something" butter,

Sure you can. That's how these products are made. Nuts contain enough natural oils that they make a nice spreadable consistency without the need to add anything else. Of course if you want to add seasonings or whatever then that can be done too.
>>
>>7190408
I don't see the point in natural peanut butter. Alone it's already full of calories. It was originally invented as a way for people who have trouble eating solids to get more calories. If you add some extra palm oil or sugar for consistency it isn't going to make much of a difference because you're literally already eating peanut butter.

Like I said, it's like buying fat free organic Oreos. They're still fucking Oreos. You're not eating "healthier" if that is what your goal is.
>>
>>7190389
>There's much debate over if they're actually considered peanut butter,

No, there's no debate at all. You just have an autismo definition of "peanut butter"
>>
>>7190417
>originally this, originally that

who gives a shit

also, stop thinking that peanut butter is intrinsically unhealthy. it's only unhealthy if it's got sugar added.
>>
>>7190354
It's no longer an incomplete protein when you combine it with a whole grain protein, like you know, exactly what OP is planning on making.
>>
>>7190432
Have you seen how many calories are in "natural" peanut butter?

Let's take a loot at this one, shall we? >>7190350
http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-meridian-foods-natural-crunchy-peanut-i122528

In 100g there are 579 calories. That is shitload. That is only about 6-7 tablespoons of peanut butter.

Now let's look at how many calories are in this one: >>7190354
http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-jif-creamy-peanut-butter-i100644

190 calories per 2 tablespoons, which x 3 is roughly the same amount of calories as the "natural" one.
>>
>>7190444
>a calorie is a calorie

just stop
>>
>>7190444
calories aren't unhealthy.

If my doctor recommended anything it would be for me to eat more calories.
>>
>>7190450
When I was dangerously underweight my doctor told me to eat more peanut butter. It's a really good way to put weight on easily because there's a lot of calories in such a small amount.
>>
>>7190444
>calorie boogeyman

Is it 2005 again?
>>
>>7190461
Uhh yeah, calories in calories out is pretty basic nutrition.
>>
>>7190417
>It was originally invented as a way for people who have trouble eating solids to get more calories

It was invented as a way for peanut farmers to sell more peanuts. That's it. That's the entire reason.
>>
>>7190360
>every time

Do you not know how to stir or something? You do it once

Even then what's the issue if you have to stir every time?

What are you even complaining about?
>>
>>7190464
Uhh yeah, which is why you don't eat peanut butter by the jars like you don't do for many other foods

Which is why you exercise and keep a healthy lifestyle overall instead of laying around like a rock and grazing the Earth
>>
>>7190467
see
>>7190377
>Canadian Marcellus Gilmore Edson (February 7, 1849 – March 6, 1940) of Montreal, Quebec was the first to patent peanut butter, in 1884. Peanut flour already existed. His cooled product had "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment" according to his patent application. He included the mixing of sugar into the paste so as to harden its consistency.
>Edson, a chemist (pharmacist), developed the idea of peanut paste as a delicious and nutritious staple for people who could hardly chew on solid food, a not uncommon state back in those days. Peanut paste was initially sold for six cents per pound.

>>7190468
But the reasoning for not adding palm oil is because it has "saturated fats", but it's already fucking peanut butter. It's not like not adding palm oil is suddenly going to make it okay for you to eat a shitload of peanut butter and not turn into a hamplanet. There is no reason for it not to be there, it just makes it so you have to stir it more.
>>
>>7190475
That isn't my point at all. You can eat regular Oreos and still not eat them in excess and be fine. So then why do they make fat free organic Oreos and why do people buy them? Because they think if they do that they're "healthier". It is the same concept with "natural" peanut butter.
>>
>>7190483
I thought the reason was because the environmental affects of using palm oil?
>>
>>7190120
Rasberry Jam is the best hands down. Use chunky peanut butter, the all natural kind, just peanuts and salt. Use really fresh bread or toast the bread. or use waffles.
>>
>>7190488
I dunno, but when I looked it up in relation to peanut butter all I saw was because it contains saturated fat. You could also just get peanut butter with an emulsifier instead.
>>
>Ruining a peanut butter sandwich with jelly
>>
Who never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? What planet are you from?
>>
>>7190120
Don't add jelly or jam or any of that stuff. If you are planning on doing it for health reason not using jelly will be a better idea.
>>
>>7191183
This. I really don't like the combination at all.
>>
File: 1408326441470.png (213 KB, 392x357) Image search: [Google]
1408326441470.png
213 KB, 392x357
>>7190232
>blackberry
>motherfucking boysenberry

Holy shit. My nigga.
>>
>>7190120
Peanut Butter is a decent source of protein, but make sure it doesn't use hydrogenated vegetable oil or some shit. I graduated from PBJs to PBBs, Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches.
>>
>>7191986
What about PBBB or a PBBBH

Haven't tried either myself, but it sounds like it'd be good on a comfort food kind of way.
>>
>>7190120
Apricot jelly is the one true jelly.
>>
>>7190120
Home baked bread.
Home made peanut butter with ZERO added sugar or salt.
Grapes of your choice.

Cut a couple thick slices of bread and slather on a thick layer of the peanut butter. Quarter the grapes with a knife, and slap them on peanut butter layer.

Enjoy.
>>
>>7190120
Can you expand on your situation? How old are you? Why have you never had a pb&j? How the fuck does a person avoid pb&j for years and years? I'm dumbfounded!
>>
Anons, how do I make my own peanut butter?
Just throw them into a food grinder and keep at it till it's creamy?
>>
Either BlackBerry Cabernet or apple, although I'm spoiled on my homemade jellies and jams
>>
>>7192103
This.

And how the fuck does someone who is poor not had PB&J? It's eesentially Poor People: The Food (I don't even mean that as an insult, it's just literally a good poor person staple.)
>>
Apricot or Huckleberry but the latter tends to cost $9-$10 for a small jar.
>>
Blueberry jam. So many people don't understand the pure joy of blueberry jam. This saddens me.
>>
File: applebutter.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
applebutter.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>7190120

been an apple butter man of late though bananas are a great substitute for jelly or jam
>>
Blackcurrant preserves are the highest form of berry preserves.
>>
Apricot jam. Skip strawberry jam and go straight for the good stuff.
>>
>>7192639

Apple butter and bananas is not a PB&J
>>
>>7190120
Raspberry is literrally the only decent jelly, dont listen to these other faggots OP
>>
>>7190120
Peanut butter is mostly fat. It does have protein though. Any jam or jelly will do.
>>
>>7192262
>Anons, how do I make my own peanut butter?
>Just throw them into a food grinder and keep at it till it's creamy?

Exactly.

I just buy a pound of shelled unsalted roasted peanuts from the bulk section of my grocery store, put them in my food processor, and process until they're at the consistency I want.

No added sugars.

No added salts.

Just pure peanut butter.
>>
>>7190120
Don't its disgusting american pleb food
>>
>>7193526
Ahaha, don't be silly
>>
Peanut butter and red raspberry jam
>>
Just mix peanut butter and jelly with your oatmeal. Who needs bread?
>>
Strawberry-rhubarb jam, accept no substitutes
>>
File: strawberry cat.jpg (9 KB, 228x251) Image search: [Google]
strawberry cat.jpg
9 KB, 228x251
>>7195338
ur a cul niga

I miss strawbarb jam.
>>
File: SaskatoonAA.jpg (54 KB, 800x847) Image search: [Google]
SaskatoonAA.jpg
54 KB, 800x847
This based jam. You've not lived until you've Saskatoon'ed

>>7190120
>>
>>7190124
ur stoopid & incorrect
>>
>>7190287
lol'd
>>
Peanut butter and jam mix well in porridge as well and that's probably healthier than bread.

I used to make it with equal parts oats, water and coconut milk and throw in whatever else (peanut butter, jam, nutella, fruit, honey etc).

My fave jam is probably blueberry but black cherry is delicious too.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.