[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making American Goulash tonight for dinner. Pretty standard recipe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: goulash22.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
goulash22.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
Making American Goulash tonight for dinner. Pretty standard recipe from the WEB though I ad a can of mushrooms, tomato paste and soy sauce among other things.

Any family secrets you want to share?

inb4: hurr durr that's not food, flyover, etc.
>>
>>7190061
This looks pretty much like hamburger helper.
I'm all for easy and affordable meals, so bumping thread for ya.
>>
>>7190061
You're gonna need some black pepper and garlic powder in that. A drop of liquid smoke wont hurt it.
>>
File: Scan_Pic0008.jpg (175 KB, 981x800) Image search: [Google]
Scan_Pic0008.jpg
175 KB, 981x800
>>7190061
When I was in the Army, chili mac and goulash were heaven sent foods. Out in the sticks for up to 30 days, eating cold rations, conducting infantry operations then rucking 15-25 miles to an area with hot chow. Oh man, goulash was the best. I was a skinny twig back then and I could 3-4 helpings.

I love goulash.
>>
>>7190118
get your booger hook off the bang button, TROOP
>>
File: mayo-maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mayo-maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>7190118
Get down and give me 50!
MAYONAISE!
(I know that's USN, but wtf)
>>
>>7190074
American goulash, chili-mac and "Italian" beefy-mac are all pretty much Hamburger Helper to varying degrees of homemade-edness, yeah. And despite the stigma lots of American cooking gets, none of them are bad so long as the method for making it doesn't overcook the pasta or add condensed soup (weird-tasting) or canned tomato sauce (too sugary).

>>7190061
I like the dish and its variants. I like Italian beefy-mac, which is a casserole based on American goulash. Beef is crumble cooked and set aside, retaining the fat in the pan which is used to make a roux compounded with lots of chopped onion, some garlic powder, some pepper and some beef stock powder. This roux is used to thicken tomato juice or crushed tomato. Alternately, you can use a 50/50 mix of beef stock and tomato juice in place of beef stock powder and all tomato juice, but I like the stock powder.
Boil some pasta to just under done, drain and toss in a casserole dish with the beef crumbles and lots of shredded mozzarella and toss to combine.
Pour the sauce on top, top with more shredded cheese and bake until heated through.
Cool a bit and serve.
>>
Just made this last night. Garlic, onions, beef broth, canned tomato sauce, Pipete pasta (similar to elbows) and ground beef. One pot, 45 minutes, and god damn is it delicious.
>>
Am I the only human who calls this American chop suey? I knew it as that my whole life until I found out what chop suey really is.
>>
File: lindseybaffrume.jpg (41 KB, 610x347) Image search: [Google]
lindseybaffrume.jpg
41 KB, 610x347
>>7190373

yes you are

stuff is damn tasty no matter what you call it
>>
>>7190149
I feel like if it were Italian or French we'd all be jizzing ourselves over it's wonderful "rustic" qualities. If you think pasta e fagioli is more sophisticated than this stuff you're an idiot.
>>
>>7190373
I've heard that term before, although it's not what I call it
>>
>>7190419
I know. Not American myself and English isn't even my native language but I'd fuck up some American goulash/chop suey so long as it's not made with condensed soup.

>>7190373
Maybe it's regional. Are you on the west coast? I'd assume that it's called American goulash in places with a lot of semi-recent central European and Germanic immigration and American chop suey elsewhere. I live in the US on the east coast and everyone I've ever talked to says "goulash" except this one chick from some shit-town in CA that she says is "the artichoke capital of the US!!" who calls it "chop suey."
>>
>>7190061
That reminds me of when I was a kid. Mom made lots of meals with ground beef because it was cheap and dad's career had yet to take off. Once dad made it to executive suite mom stopped buying much ground beef, so I haven't tasted that dish since I was 10 or so. I remember liking it, but lots of things I used to like as a kid I think are gross now. Don't know if would eat.
>>
>>7190089
>le master chef XD
>>
>>7190574
>walking to the better hotel room is an accomplishment
I made it to the presidential suite, don't hear me braggin'.
>>
>>7190542
That's weird. I spent most of my life in California and only ever heard goulash/chop suey from random people on the internet. We always called it beefy mac/chili mac. Shit always gets a bit weird when you hit those tiny farm town though.
>>
>>7190618
It's not bragging - my father's career is no accomplishment of my own. I just grew up eating lots of classic low rent American cooking as a kid, then by the time I was a teen my family didn't eat that way anymore. When I was little if dad was on the road dinner could be some real Depression Era shit mom learned from her mother. Shit like fried hot dogs, homefries and baked beans or creamed chipped beef over toast. So I associate eating that stuff with childhood. Because having never served in the military or been to jail I have not eaten any of that stuff as an adult.
>>
>>7190118
Fucking leg....
>>
Well seasoned ground beef, onion, garlic, carbs, some diced maters, what's not to love?

If you don't like goulash or chilli mac, then the problem is YOU.
>>
>>7190627
> j o k e
________
your head
>>
>>7190695
guess so
>>
>>7190620
Lifelong Califag here. I've never heard goulash referred to as Chop Suey. Also, most of the goulash I've seen has kidney beans in it.
>>
>>7192882
>>7190620
>>7190542
>>7190373
For what its worth, the very first sentence in the Wikipedia article on American goulash is:
American goulash, is an American comfort food dish, similar to a American chop suey.
And then there is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chop_suey
I prefer the name goulash myself.
>>
File: 1940 chun king.jpg (426 KB, 907x839) Image search: [Google]
1940 chun king.jpg
426 KB, 907x839
>>7192923
Chop Suey is just not described right in that wikipedia. Must be some regional abomination or some family.

There was Chun King branded chop suey, and it was very asian aside from the hamburger. It was canned bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and sauciness that you'd add to your browned hamburger, celery and onion (o chicken). They sold the companion of fried noodles for topping.

When I was in elementary, the cafeteria had a popular rotation of chili-mac, which was basically chopped tomato, ground beef and elbows baked with cheddar on top. It was spaghetti and meat sauce flavors minus the italian herbs. No chili powder at all. It was foreign to me, because my mom never made it nor hamburger helper (she was a great cook actually). But, a childhood friend's mom made it as "goulash" and more of a stew in a big pot, which was somehow described to me as "jamaican goulash" for some damn reason (grew up in Miami), which must have been common enough term for it, that I could just google it just now.
https://throwbackrecipes.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/jamaican-goulash/
>>
>>7192943
>American chop suey =/= chop suey you mogoloid idiot
>>
>>7192943
that lady is way too excited about those cans
>>
>>7190118
Hooah, that uniform... Did you serve during the 90s?
>>
File: ShawshankRedempt_184Pyxurz.jpg (152 KB, 1600x1049) Image search: [Google]
ShawshankRedempt_184Pyxurz.jpg
152 KB, 1600x1049
Growing up in the sixties in Detroit when everybody's Dad had a good job (my Dad was a doctor), this stuff was very common for big families

plus, Mom's had all the makings in the kitcheb so it was easy and quick to make and we kids ate it like a boss
>>
My girlfriend from South Africa makes a version of this, called Ghoebie Ghoeboes. Simple and can't fuck it up:

1/2lb bacon, diced
1/2 large white onion, diced

Cook bacon and onion together in large pan/skillet until bacon is mostly done, then add:

1lb mince beef

and cook throughout. Add and bring to a rough simmer:

1 small can of tomato puree
1 can of cream style corn
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Simmer until flavors blend, around 20min. While simmering, cook 2 dry cups of small shell pasta to al dente (for dat proper texture). Spread pasta in a 13x9 pan and pour the meat sauce over the pasta. Grate and spread 1lb cheddar cheese over the entire dish, bake at 375F until the cheese has darkened a bit and is thoroughly melted about.

Wa la
>>
Hamburger helper (boxed or homemade) is probably my favorite "one pot" meal. Ate a bunch of it this week.

I browned some ground beef, drained the grease, added a can of Ragu super chunky mushroom (come at me bro), filled the jar with water, shook it, and poured it in, and 2 cups of dried macaroni noodles. Once it was nice and thick, I served it in a bowl with parmesan cheese on top. Lots of garlic bread on the side.

Hnnnggghhhh.
>>
>>7193049
That was during the 80s. 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment.
>>
one time I was working late and a co-worker said he would bring goulash for dinner. I was expecting pepper stew but instead I got macaroni with ground beef and tomato sauce. wtf midwest?
>>
>>7193799
hurr hurr, i'm trowlan
>>
>>7190061
In my family, we didn't use tomato paste, but we used a can of Campbell's tomato soup. Specifically that brand, because it's fucking delicious. Always put minced garlic in it too.
Also other tips would be to add diced green and red peppers, sliced mushrooms and onions, beef stock if you want it runnier or some people like cream to thicken it up. You could also grate some cheese over and pop the pot in the oven for a bit for some melted cheese. Basically just throw whatever you feel like in.

I used to hate this as a kid, because we ate it so much, but now that I'm a broke ass college student, I'm kind of glad my dad taught me how to make this.
>>
>>7193120
I'd try it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.