[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some unique foods that /ck/ has during the Christmas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: stollen2.jpg (2 MB, 2304x2304) Image search: [Google]
stollen2.jpg
2 MB, 2304x2304
What are some unique foods that /ck/ has during the Christmas season? I'm of German decent and every year I get a Dresden stollen.
>>
>>7187054

>no marzipan in the middle

Savage.
>>
>>7187054
Keep them locked up and no one will steal your Dresdens
>>
keep them underground and you wont get your dresdens bombed
>>
move to a better neighborhood so they stop stealing your Dresdens
>>
>>7187054
Is that fruitcake bread?
>>
>>7187086

its a stolen Dresden

give it back to Germany op
>>
File: 1367920967047.jpg (28 KB, 568x540) Image search: [Google]
1367920967047.jpg
28 KB, 568x540
>>7187067
>>
Christmas proper has no specific meal or dish associated it that I can speak of other than crunchy balls of fried lemon-flavoured dough arranged in a pyramid and dressed with honey and hundreds-and-thousands.

Because we're about evenly split between Roman and Byzantine Catholics, we have three separate major holidays during Christmastide, which lasts thirty-one days: St Nick's day/little Christmas on 6th December, greater Christmas on the 25th and the Epiphany on 6th January, each with its own traditions, as well as Sylvester from 31st December through 2nd January, appeasing both traditions. On the Friday immediately before the big Christmas we eat twelve different preparations of seafood, one for each apostle. Also blanched kale or broccoli dressed with lemon and garlic and fresh fennel dipped in salt.

Besides the honey balls, other Christmastide sweets include soft, circular biscuits made of vermouth-and-cheese dough and flavoured with bitter almonds and candied lemon served during Sylvester and these baked, honey-sweetened hard biscuits flavoured with almonds, black pepper and nutmeg on Epiphany. St Nick's
day has brioche and chocolates but, again, no specific meal in particular.

During Sylvester (though occasionally on Christmas itself), lots of people make what I could only call a 'double chicken soup,' made by cooking a young chicken, signifying the new year, in the broth/stock made by boiling an old hen, signifying the year before. The name translates as 'old and new soup.' It's a pagan tradition that was originally done on the Winter solstice that some kept around for Christmas tradition after the area was Romanised or moved it slightly beyond that for Sylvester/New Year.

We eat a dinner of garlic-stewed lentils and sausages made of hollowed out trotters stuffed with pork mince on the 31st.
>>
>>7187054
looks about right, fucking tight ass loaf. its hard to find a nice loaf these days, most places skimp on the butter, marzipan and cherries. some even use green glace` cherries instead of angelica. basically just ranting cause i cant find shit from my childhood
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.