[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FREE RUM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: rum-barrel[1].jpg (291 KB, 1752x1168) Image search: [Google]
rum-barrel[1].jpg
291 KB, 1752x1168
So /ck/ a friend said they'd buy me a bottle of rum of my choice for christmas and I have no idea what to choose.

I want something for sipping preferably, but don't know whether to try something standard or some spiced shit.

What would you get?
>>
>>7185207
Sailor Jerrys or Kraken is the only rum
I drink
>>
>>7185207
I would say Captain Morgan! You really deserve the best anon so why not!
>>
Mount Gay

Seriously its good rum.
>>
tell him thanks but no thanks and ask for whiskey instead
>>
>>7185212
I've heard Kraken is memely mediocre, never tried it

>>7185217
might go with that
>>
File: rum_gos1.jpg (66 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
rum_gos1.jpg
66 KB, 540x720
I'd ask for Old Monk, because I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. But what I suggest you ask for is Gosling's Black Seal, because I already know that's real good.
>>
>>7185242
Try it sometime and decide for yourself. I've always liked it.
>>
>>7185207
I second Sailor Jerry's...it is what's going in my eggnog!
>>
Yo dog, Get some smith and cross like a proper salty pirate
>>
>>7185242
Pyrat or that Pussers navy rum or whatever
>>
Jesus christ all these horrible answers.

Angostura 1919 is a good beginners rum OP, can't go wrong.
>>
>>7185207
Ron zacapa
Very smooth sipping rum. There's a 15 or 19 year aged that's delicious
>>
Im expecting to receive this as a gift. Delicious.
>>
>>7185336
I'd recommend Zacapa as well. Appleton 12 or 21 year is pretty tasty too.
>>
>>7185207
Zaya 12
>>
>>7185207
Try Pampero, it's a sipping rum, but mixes well too and you get a nice little pouch with it to keep shit in.
>>
>>7185336
Can't go wrong with Zacapa.

Pampero Anniversario and Mount Gay XO are also very good.
>>
>>7187296
Zacapa is GREAT! love that stuff.
Plantation is also pretty damn good.
But Zacapa is some next level shit, Never had anyone say they dont enjoy it. And thats sort of a big thing since in my circles alot of people hate straight spirits.
>>
>>7185207
Put in a vote for Zacapa Centenario. It's a little hot (as in you can taste a little alcohol burn), but it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>7185428
Yes. Get the Zaya.
>>
My favourite sipping rum is Santiago de Cuba but it might still be illegal/unobtainable in the US.

If it doesn't have a Cuban Republic rum guarantee seal on it (green band with a design), it's a fake. There are lots of fakes made in the US, including fake Havana Club.
>>
File: havana.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
havana.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
>>7187530
The cuban brands sold in the US including rebranded havana club, rebranded montecristo cigars, etc are pretty clearly labeled with their country of origin. I've never had any of them (other than the Honduran HdM cigars which are actually really good, although they taste nothing like Cuban HdM). Everyone knows this, inspecting the bottle for a Cuban government seal is kind of retarded when it says "PUERTO RICAN RUM" in bold face and the packaging doesn't even look the same.

Honestly, you sound a bit like that guy who was getting buttblasted over "tamahagane" brand knives because they weren't made of real tamahagane.
>>
>>7187554
I've never been to the US or seen the re-branded products, I was told in Cuba by a friend that they use Cuban brand names for non-Cuban cigars, rum etc.

It doesn't bother me at all, I was just offering it as a warning.
>>
File: Havana_Club_7_anos.jpg (424 KB, 1228x1890) Image search: [Google]
Havana_Club_7_anos.jpg
424 KB, 1228x1890
If you live outside USA pick it up. The US knockoff is made by Bacardi and it's trash.
>>
>>7185207
Kaniche XO, diplimatico special reserve or pampero aniversario. all 3 awesome tier rums.
>>
>>7187576
Yes, there have been many cases over the years, in some cases there were legitimate arguments that the brand "belonged" to so-and-so (such as the Montecristo cigar brand which the founders of the original brand left Cuba and tried to relaunch a couple of times abroad, running into trouble until finally they got US backing for a US-only brand).

The disputed ones I'm ok with, these things happen and I think each side genuinely believes they're in the right. The only ones that really annoy me are the ones that are capitalizing on brands launched in Cuba well after the revolution, such as Cohiba and Havana Club. It's opportunistic and I won't buy them.

Interestingly Bacardi was never under much dispute, I think because the Bacardi family was so vocal in their anti-Castro activities that the Cuban government wanted nothing to do with the name.
>>
When I see so many posts spouting Zacapa then red flags go up. This is unnatural, they're shills.
>>
>>7187600
My family owned Bacardi when it was moved to PR, it's decent, it's nothing to write home about.
>>
>>7187610
Nah, zacapa is a memerum like hendricks is for gin or laphroaig is for scotch.

Anyway anyone buying post-"AƱos" Zacapa 23 is a gullible fool who gets exactly what he deserves.
>>
>>7187612
Havana Club isn't exactly amazing either. The thing is HC doesn't make all those horrid "dragon berry" abominations and their low-end standard rum bottling is quite a bit better than the low-end Bacardi offerings, but if you compare the better HC to the better Bacardi they're not too far apart.
>>
>>7187616
1. I don't think they make that stuff anymore
2. Zima was a shitty clear beer, nothing to do with this thread
>>
>>7187627
But you still drink you fag bait!
>>
>>7187636
You post like angry philip morris programmer guy. Are you going to start ranting about H1Bs and carbon tax now?
>>
>>7187623
You're wrong, it's because they sell. And no shit the high end rums will be better, but sometimes you have to support the higher end with the lower end stuff. That's not to say that the lower end stuff is bad, it's just that stupid drunk girls aren't going to notice the difference.
>>
>>7187648
Good times you creepy stalker guy.
Merry Christmas.
>>
>>7187649
What do you mean "it's because". What's because?

And no, I don't have to support shit. I'll drink what's good, you can have fun buying trashfood and trashdrink out of some weird sense of obligation.
>>
>>7187654
It sells in National (USA) and International markets. That's what sells means. Don't be daft.
>>
I'll hijack this thread.

Ant recommendations for a good scotch? I'd like something reasonably priced $30-$40. Maybe a little more if it's an absolute must try. New to the scotch world. Been more of a Jim beam on the rocks guy.
>>
Spiced or flavoured anything is to be avoided at all costs, dont be a fag OP

As a newbie rum drinker there are only two choices, Appleton 12 ans Mount Gay XO. These are two of the more whiskey like rums out there and great value for money.
>>
>>7185328
>pyrat

King of Rum
>>
File: mayor of Canadas largest city.jpg (37 KB, 366x365) Image search: [Google]
mayor of Canadas largest city.jpg
37 KB, 366x365
evan williams or wild turkey 101
>>
>>7185207
Whalers Original Dark Rum
>>
>>7187730
Anyone?
>>
>>7187730
>>7188846
Glenfiddich 12 is fine when you're first acclimating yourself. Maybe Glenmorangie Original.

I don't know exact prices for wherever you are, but they're generally affordable single malts.
>>
>>7187718
Kek
>>
I bought Goslings Black Seal Rum for holiday drinking and I have not been disappointed.
>>
>>7188936

add some ginger beer to that and a wedge of lime, dark and stormy's are the shit.
>>
File: Pyra.jpg (97 KB, 622x905) Image search: [Google]
Pyra.jpg
97 KB, 622x905
>>7185207
>>
>>7185207
Smirnoff
>>
>>7188856
Thanks, will ask about these. Btw, I'm in nyc
>>
File: Dank rum.jpg (33 KB, 399x606) Image search: [Google]
Dank rum.jpg
33 KB, 399x606
This shit right here is criminally undervalued. It's more pricey than supermarket stuff sure but its worth the little bump in price.

It's quite a sweet one as well so if you're new to sipping rums should be easier to get into.

To this day I haven't had a single spiced rum that was palatable
>>
pick one out from your local microdistillery
>>
File: rum.jpg (101 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
rum.jpg
101 KB, 1000x1000
Don't know a whole lot about rum, but this is what I keep around
>>
File: The_Glenlivet-12-Scotch_Whisky.jpg (251 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
The_Glenlivet-12-Scotch_Whisky.jpg
251 KB, 500x349
>>7187730
I asked this same question a few years back and the answer was Glenlivet, I think I got the 18yr though. Pic related.

It's a good entry level Scotch, it's not too peaty, that's a learned taste.
>>
>>7188076
Pyrat comes with a nice medallion thing you can throw at people.
>>
>>7188084
Whatever happened to that guy?
That was international news at the time, but there was no followup as usual.
>>
>>7189917
Can confirm this one is dank as well
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.