[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suppose I wanted to start eating like a dark-ages German or a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1434893371031.jpg (610 KB, 900x1376) Image search: [Google]
1434893371031.jpg
610 KB, 900x1376
Suppose I wanted to start eating like a dark-ages German or a Viking, what kind of food should I eat and where should I go about finding recipes?
>>
>>7185030
Whatever type of bread they had
Chicken
Pork
idk how much beef they ate but Im sure some
Not sure what vegetables or fruit
Also Ale and Wine

I tried to do this for a bit but got bored
>>
You're supposed to be at least 18 years old to post here.
>>
vikings probably got most of their protein from fish. barley, rye and wheat but mostly rye
http://www.danishnet.com/vikings/viking-food-and-diet/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/food_01.shtml
>>
>>7185030
Vegetables, dark wholegrain bread that contains grains of rock from milling that wears down your teeth, weak as fuck beer and dirty water. Supplement with dried fish and maybe eggs. You can have some meat once in a while.
>>
>>7185030
Here's a pretty good pdf which I couldbn't upload:
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Adamson.pdf
You should eat lots and lots of bread with butter, cheeses, eggs, maybe occasionally some honey.
Then there are stews including barley or wheat, fish or meat and whatever vegetables are available.
You'll drink nothing but unfiltered light beer/ale. They did that cause it was safer/more sanitary than untreated fresh water, especially within city limits.
Remember to exclude all new world foods. This includes turkey, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate, corn and much more. Stick to comfy ol' vegetables such as turnips, carrots, kale, cabbage and cucumbers.
>>
>>7185044
Chickens came from the East, via the Muslims. Only Mediterranean cultures had chickens in the Dark Ages.
>>
>>7185238

but the Vikings traveled to the new world.. any documentation of them bringing foods back with them?
>>
Bread and root vegetables. Some meat and fish in there every so often.
>>
like some others said, fish was big for vikings. every so often mutton or lamb. you wouldn't have chicken and beef would be rare. mostly grains and breads and things otherwise. root vegetables (minus potatoes)

>>7185313
vikings only traveled to the new world as far as greenland, and when they got there they actively avoided having to be involved with the natives at all to the point that they died off when the little ice age made their fishing techniques useless. in other words, they didn't really change anything they were doing before when they got there. there really wasn't much a difference in food there regardless, except they actually subsisted a lot more on meat since when they first arrived the land was great for their sheep.
>>
>>7185377
they made it to newfoundland in Canada, m8
>>
>>7185393
tell me of the wonderful vegetable varieties of newfoundland
>>
>>7185313
>>7185393
They didn't stick around long enough to get New World food, since the Natives kicked their asses and decimated them.
>>
>>7185405
ur mums arse m8
>>
>>7185438
>>
>>7185030
A Feast of Ice and Fire has some good stuff, if you're into spending $40 on cookbooks. Lots of authentic medieval recipes and their modern equivalents.
>>
>>7185486
Hobb's three meat stew!

The meats? Mutton, mutton, & mutton.
>>
>>7185030
Why would you want to eat the same things as people who only lived to 35 did?
>>
>>7185287
Google says chickens came from India/China but were in Europe by 3,000 BC. Thousands of years before Muslims even existed.
>>
>ctrl-F oysters
>no results
They ate a ton of oysters and herring.
>>
>>7185030
Out in the forest, gather everything you can find that's etabile and some that aren't and boil it for 6hours
>>
>>7185287
Except the scandis traded with the med, so they would probably acquire some.
>>
>>7185565
Life expectancy was so low back then because of infant mortality not because the average person would only live to 35
>>
>>7185030
I was trying to find out about this earlier, but there is extremely little information on what they ate, at least the vikings. I haven't looked much into other germanic people. All we know is what food they had available, but we don't know how they prepared it.
>>
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/To_Milk_an_Almond.pdf
>>
>>7185486
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJ8CqAEbeLuMlR3NkhCeG54YWM/view?usp=sharing

You're welcome
>>
Succulent Turkey.
>>
>>7185426
They did actually settle down but there were so few of them that they didnt become a noticeable factor. Nobody knows why they vanished, some think the natives eventually killed them, but some linguists claim that certain native American language bear traces of Norse, implying that the Norse settlers gradually integrated into a native tribe. Look at Normandy to see how flexible they were at adapting to other cultures.
>>
File: 1433113603435.gif (400 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
1433113603435.gif
400 KB, 493x342
>>7185287
>>
>>7185030
Starve to death.

It was the popular option.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.