[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saw this at the grocery store, remembered I've heard it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 306x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 306x408
Saw this at the grocery store, remembered I've heard it's pretty good. I fucking love pickle so I bought some. What do you like to do with it?
>>
>>7166568
Cheese and pickle sandwich is the correct answer here.
>>
>>7166575
I like to include some cucumber slices to offset the acidity
>>
>>7166575
What kind of cheese?
>>
this stuff is way more gross than marmite
>>
>>7167038
I would use cream cheese and cucumber
>>
>>7167038
Cheddar anon.

Dont listen to >>7167049, he sounds like some kind of savage.
>>
>>7166684
>>7167049
This is definitely not what I imagine when I think of a cheese and pickle sandwich. Not that it sounds bad, it certainly sounds like it's worth a try, but I think OP should know it's definitely not the traditional use of this relish.
>>
>>7166568
nice thick cheddar, some tomato, lettuce, on on some bloomer bread with this
>>
Spread on grilled cheese on toast
>>
>>7166568
Eat it with an Ulster Fry.

Hot potato bread and branston pickle is godlike.
>>
>>7168966
This.
>>
>>7167134
doesn't matter what you """ imagine""", and yes this absolutely is the traditional use of branston

fucking knobhead
>>
File: coastal.jpg (205 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
coastal.jpg
205 KB, 700x467
>>7166568
>What do you like to do with it?

A well matured, very dry, very strong cheddar.
>>
>>7170029
>yes this absolutely is the traditional use of branston

Not him, but I've never had a cheese & pickle sandwich with cucumber in it. Or cream cheese.

A cheese and pickle sandwich is cheese. And pickle. And bread.
>>
>>7170029
Please provide a source to show that traditional use of branston is to put it with 'cucumber to offset the acidity'
>>
File: pork-pickle.jpg (69 KB, 630x419) Image search: [Google]
pork-pickle.jpg
69 KB, 630x419
Pork Pie & Pickle is another classic combination.
>>
>>7170033
You ever tried a waxed cheddar? You can get really strong ones that are surprisingly smooth.
>>
>>7170035
I've had lettuce and sliced tomato in my cheese and pickle sandwich before. I don't think I've had cucumber in one though.
>>
>>7167038
>>7167063

Can confirm, Cheddar is the correct answer.

You can be creative with it though. Once I fried up some potatoes and at the last minute tossed a spoonful of Branston pickle in there. It was pretty good.
>>
File: Snowdonia_Black_Bomber.jpg (1 MB, 2604x2604) Image search: [Google]
Snowdonia_Black_Bomber.jpg
1 MB, 2604x2604
Cheddar is absolutely correct. Branston also works damn well with ham.

If you're using it in a sandwich, the 'sandwich pickle' variation has smaller chunks, but original's better for a ploughman's or if your sandwich is thick-sliced crusty bloomer (as it probably should be if you're going for it).

>>7170512
Try this shit right here. Black Bomber cheddar. Beats out even Davidstow Cornish Crackler to be the maturest mature cheddar I've ever tasted, even to the point of having little chalky bits: it's too overpowering for many uses, but Branston pickle or a really good apple/date/spiced chutney is one of the few things that can keep up with it.

>>7168966
Unorthodox, but I myself like it in a toastie. Be warned however that you only need a little, and it can easily go molten.
>>
>>7173332
I have had a little bit of that, it's probably the best cheddar I've ever tasted.
>>
>>7166568
I can say that I'd probably enjoy it on a burger, with cheddar on it too of course, or maybe a little stirred into a meatloaf, because it has those same flavors as a "heinz chili sauce", the allspice, clove and other aromatic spices. So, it'd work there and in cocktail sized meatballs too. Both would be especially good cold, like a cold meatloaf sandwich.

It might work in deviled eggs or in egg salad. But, like the ploughman's lunch, it's really a relish for delicious meats like cold roast pork or cold chicken or roast beef, sausages, and really yummy aged cheddar. Really nice bread helps too! Hearty and crusty.
>>
>>7173332
>Beats Cornish Crackler

For real son? Is it good? Because CC is really good.
>>
File: 61ql35QPKML._SY355_.jpg (21 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61ql35QPKML._SY355_.jpg
21 KB, 355x355
I'd put it on red weiners with this
>>
File: 7755304836_ef18f1d9fb_z.jpg (178 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
7755304836_ef18f1d9fb_z.jpg
178 KB, 612x612
>>7173609
who else /maine/ here
>>
>>7173609
American mustard is gay desu senpai.
>>
>>7173617
>Frankforts
pls
>>
>>7166568
Put it on whatever as long as it has some sharp cheddar cheese

Cheddar and branston pickle is godlike, I like the small chunk the best
>>
>>7173617
>frankforts
>artificially colored
>>
>>7173437
Yep. Cornish Crackler is really good, but Black Bomber is one step beyond - see other anon at >>7173348 who concurs. It's incredible, if you like your cheddar with serious in-your-face ultra-mature flavour.

Be warned, it is named as such because it is likely to blow your proverbial head off if you're unprepared for it: I definitely wouldn't try grating it or melting it, it's just far too in-your-face to put up with all that nonsense.

But some of that, some Branston or even better good (ideally homemade) chutney, some crusty bread and butter - may as well round it out with some good strong Yorkshire Gold tea - will give you one hell of a ploughman's lunch.

England isn't known for its cuisine, because in the main we just don't do fancy food well at all. It's true. The "Full English Breakfast" is a fry-up that's rarely eaten here, a total pig-out and probably improved on by Ulster.

But there are a few things we do indisputably well at: pies; puddings; cheeses. And Branston pickle can go with two out of those three. We honestly don't even think of Branston here as a near-uniquely British thing that the rest of the world for the most part don't have: to us, it's just pickle, it's not a big deal (and it isn't). Until someone goes ex-pat and wonders where the hell the pickle is, why wouldn't you have that: which is why it's a little easier to find internationally now.
>>
>>7175861
>Cornish Crackler
>Eating cheese with giant crunchy salt crystals
I will never understand the appeal
>>
>>7175861
I must now get myself some Black Bomber.
>>
>>7175868
Well yeah, cheese with giant salt crystals would be disgusting.

Good thing the crystals aren't salt, really.
>>
>>7175861
I remember well the Branston pickle shortage of 2004.

I was but a lad, working in a country pub, where we served many ploughmans lunches. We made a lot of stuff from scratch, including pork pies and scotch eggs, but we always used Branston.

After there was a fire in the Branston pickle factory, the supply just ran out. We were forced to use others, but they just didnt compare. Thankfully everything returned to normal in a short time, but it was enough to make you realise you dont appreciate it until its gone.
>>
a) Cheese and pickle sandwich, grated cheddar cheese.

b) Cheese and pickle sandwich, sliced Cheshire or Wensleydale

c) With a pork pie.

d) Mixed with nuts.
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (30 KB, 400x331) Image search: [Google]
interdasting.jpg
30 KB, 400x331
>>7175915
>b) Cheese and pickle sandwich, sliced Cheshire or Wensleydale
>>
My mum used to always make me ha m and sweet pickle sandwiches for day trips and my spanish friends thought it looked revolting and wouldn't even try it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.