[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I cook on cast iron that I've seasoned myself (restored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 81j2ShLxooL._SX522_.jpg (20 KB, 522x253) Image search: [Google]
81j2ShLxooL._SX522_.jpg
20 KB, 522x253
I cook on cast iron that I've seasoned myself (restored and old skillet, started with bare iron), and whenever I turn the heat way up like for searing steaks the seasoning on the bottom of the pan disappears. No matter how many times I re-season or heat/cool the pan with fresh lard it still goes away when the heat gets to be too much.

Do any of you know how to fix this?
Is there some secret to getting a more resilient seasoning?
>>
Seasoning will burn away under extreme heat (well above the smoke point of any oil). Just use less heat.
>>
just use a non stick i dont get why you faggots bother with those meme hipster pans
>>
>>7165985

because the coating can chip off and then you have to buy a new pan, whereas with a meme iron pan you can just reseason it.

also teflon gives you cancer.
>>
>>7166002
>teflon gives you cancer
Please cite your source with a peer reviewed scientific study out of a journal with a high impact factor.
>>
>>7165985
Because you can use cast iron at way higher temperatures than non-stick pans. Unless you want to get cancer, then feel free to use those non-sticks above medium-low heat.
>>
>>7165985
>not having multiple pans
Are you one of those retards who thinks you don't need a phone because you have a computer?
>>
>>7165985
Enjoy stomach cancer!
>>
>>7166050
>>7166059
>broscience
>>
>>7166074
>willful ignorance
>>
>>7165985
they're all around good pans that aren't tempermental, resilient, and do everything i need them to

>using them while camping
>they hold heat forever
>pop em in the oven
>takes grease in the face like a slut
>>
>>7165857
Why do people prefer cast iron over stainless steel for some tasks? Is there an advantage? I have a bunch of Ikea sensuell stuff (because Canadian tire is a scam) and it works like a champ.

Bitch to clean though sometimes.
>>
File: CDNAGVXUIAEq3zt.jpg (40 KB, 600x313) Image search: [Google]
CDNAGVXUIAEq3zt.jpg
40 KB, 600x313
>>7166101
I like it for oven stuff because I can take something out of the oven and check on it, and pop it back in and the temperature doesn't even flinch

Basically it's like the 1970s american luxo-barge of pans, if you really really REALLY need to travel in a proverbial straight line, fuck everything else, then cast iron is the best

For most purposes it's shit, but when you need it, nothing else will do
>>
>>7165857
I've had the same issue the past few months. I just learned to stop trying to re-season, it just fucks it up.
Use less heat, and immediately add some oil while cooling down from high heat. The clean it per usual and add a thin coat of w/e (i use coconut oil) for storage.
My pan was a champ until yesterday when I figured it wouldn't hurt to bake some more seasoning into it. Pulled it out of the oven afterwards and it looked like dry gray shit.
>>
>>7165857
As >>7165982 said just lower the heat a tad. I will also occasionally rub mine down with a layer of bacon grease and then put it in a 150-200 degree oven overnight. After that I take it out, wipe it down, let it cool off a little a repeat the same process a few more times.. it helps build the seasoning back up. Cooking acidic foods, using harsh scrubbing pads or soap, extreme heat can all decrease and sometimes ruin your seasoning. Clean them with salt, oil, or a quick rinse and very light scrub of water if necessary. Always dry them and oil them before putting away.

Always oil your pan before heating it and after you rinse it. The pan I have is about 80 years old. It's also best to have your cast iron somewhat heated before you start cooking.
>>
>>7166114
>It's also best to have your cast iron somewhat heated before you start cooking.
First of all, heating your pan before adding food isn't unique to cast iron.

Second, it's not "best", it depends on what you're doing. Duck breast and bacon come to mind as cases where you want to start with a cold pan, although using cast iron for duck breast is a nice way to ruin your pan sauce.
>>
>>7166047
>>teflon gives you cancer
>Please cite your source with a peer reviewed scientific study out of a journal with a high impact factor.
It's the glue that holds on the teflon coating. When and if it gets scratched or peeling (scorched or old), that's when the cancer touches you, and it has to be discarded. Someone should not have to source it for you, it's common knowledge. GIYF
>>
>>7166117
Everyone has their own way I guess. I've never had any issues with my cast iron or the seasoning and i know how to use it and clean it. And yes, I put bacon on my skillet after its heated approx 1 minute or so under a flame. I never use a cold cast iron skillet for anything. I always warm it at the very least. To each their own.
>>
>>7166122
> it's common knowledge.
Because Dr.Phil said so on his TV program, right?
>>
>>7165857
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612

should be required reading if you want to post about cast iron
>>
>>7166122
>It's the glue that holds on the teflon coating.

The coating is baked on.
The coating itself is the problem, since teflon is plasticized fluoride and turns back into fluoride at high heat.
>>
>>7166141
>>>7166122
>> it's common knowledge.
>Because Dr.Phil said so on his TV program, right?
No, because Dr. Phil is a psychiatrist that counsels relationship and marital problems, mostly.
>>
>>7166122

It's also common knowledge you should seal your meat.
>>
>>7166160
>should be required reading if you want to post about cast iron
Little known correlation not often posted about cast iron is the iron it adds to food.
For women, great news, they lose iron during menses and are sometimes anemic from that. For men, the opposite is true, the iron has no outlet each month and excessive use can result in high iron in the blood. High iron has a link to heart disease (higher oxidized cholesterol rates I believe). So, the solution? Donate some blood to that red cross!
>>
>>7166182
i have a genetic iron deficiency so im k
>>
>>7166167

But if you're careful it's safe and there is simply nothing which gets remotely close as far as non stick is concerned.

Not the new sol gel higher temperature coatings (which they market as ceramic) and certainly not burned vegetable oil.
>>
>>7165857
If your seasoning disappears every time you put your pan over high heat, it's not seasoned properly to begin with.
>>
>>7166188
The ceramic pans I've had are all fantastic, much more non-stick than any teflon pan.
The problem is they lose that property instantly and turn to shit if you ever stack another pan on top of them.
>>
>>7166101
>Bitch to clean though sometimes.

You got to part of it in your own post.
>>
>>7166101
Personal preference mostly. Mostly the only use stainless get's in my kitchen is boiling water or the like. Every time i've tried to fry something in stainless it sticks badly compared to cast iron and makes a huge mess.
Bottom line is if the cookware works for you use it.
>>
>>7166989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-SCA1reqE
>>
>>7166999
I know how to test a pan for heat.
The issue I have is that stainless is more of a pain to clean if you're doing high temp cooking (frying) And I can get by with less oil with less oil for cast iron. Use what works for you.
>>
>>7167025
You said it "sticks badly and makes a huge mess"

This is operator error, no question

I'm not saying don't use cast iron, I'm just pointing out that if you can't fry without horrible sticking and a "huge mess" on stainless steel, it means you're using the nonstick properties of the cast iron as a crutch, rather than fixing your technique.

I wondered for a moment why you don't just go all out and get teflon, and then I realized why. You'd probably burn the shit out of it and blame the pan.
>>
>>7166107
thats enough shit talk randy
>>
>>7167033
So much this.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.