[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do YOUUUUU know about good fruit punch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: fruitpunch.jpg (48 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
fruitpunch.jpg
48 KB, 360x360
What do YOUUUUU know about good fruit punch?
>>
File: punch.jpg (1002 KB, 1270x1798) Image search: [Google]
punch.jpg
1002 KB, 1270x1798
Well, I own the book on it, so I know quite a bit, actually.
>>
File: DSC_1131.jpg (340 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1131.jpg
340 KB, 1024x683
prepare a can of this.

that's your base punch. you can add any extra shit you want from there.
>>
File: POG.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
POG.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
>>7158319

>plain guava

It's honestly my favorite, but not for the base of a generic fruit punch.
>>
File: pog.png (405 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pog.png
405 KB, 500x500
>>7158330
>>
>>7158330
I miss POG so much. Is it sold on the continent?
>>
Can anyone recommend me some good recepies?

I make cider so I'd like to add a solid punch to my collection
>>
File: hs pogjpg.jpg (39 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
hs pogjpg.jpg
39 KB, 338x450
>>7158337

I've only ever seen pic related, and only at "Hawaiian" restaurants, and at a few random Asian grocery stores.

I do have a few Meadow Gold magnets on my refrigerator from way back in the day.

I had a Hawaii friend over a couple years ago and it blew her mind when she noticed them.
>>
File: my punch.jpg (144 KB, 694x698) Image search: [Google]
my punch.jpg
144 KB, 694x698
>>7158343

i dunno if you could call this a punch per se, but i love this combo:

cranberry
grapefruit
lemon
>>
>>7158362
Better than nothing, cheers
>>
>>7158335

>1994

Shit anon, I remember pogs blowing up in '92.

>everyone played with marbles before that
>fucking marbles
>>
>>7158272
Needs Oleo saccharum
>>
>>7158355
OH SWEET COCKSUCKS THIS.

I MOVED FROM HONOLULU TEN YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN FIENDING FOR THIS EVER SINCE.

GOAT, 11/10, DRANK EVERY DAY.

FUCKING SHIT I'M SO EXCITED.
>>
>>7158837

Where'd you move to, anon?

Aside from the West Coast - Pacific Northwest in particular - the rest of the mainland is pretty much a Hawaiian food desert.

>also moved away 10 years ago, though kauai here
>>
>>7158272
I know that while
1 part sour
2 part sweet
3 parts strong
and 4 of weak
may be pretty catchy, you'll get a better punch if you go with
1 sweet
2 sour
3 weak
4 strong
as your general template
My personal favorite play on good old planter's punch is the version of the Zombie they serve at the Mai Kai in Florida.

1 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 ounce passion fruit syrup
1/2 ounce rich honey mix
1/4 ounce Don’s Mix (2:1 combo grapefruit juice and ceylon syrup)
1 ounce gold Puerto Rican rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1 oz Lemon Hart 151
1 dash Angostura bitters
4 drops absinthe

Blend for 5 seconds w/ 1 cup of ice and ask to have yourself lashed to the bar for support
>>
>>7159982
What exactly constitutes "hawaiian food" to you? There are plenty of restaurants around me that bill themselves as hawaiian bbq, and i still can't really pin down what exactly it means. They've got a mix of japanese-style grilled meats, fried fish, things that remind me of kimbap, spam musubi, pretty liberal use of candlenuts and macadamia nuts. Most everything comes with both steamed rice and macaroni salad as a side. Is that what ya'll actually eat or is this stuff a leftover vestige of the tiki era?
>>
File: plate lunch.jpg (140 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
plate lunch.jpg
140 KB, 640x427
>>7160043

Those things are eaten in Hawaii, for sure, and the rice and macaroni salad is standard plate lunch fare.

When I think of Hawaiian food, though, I think of lau lua, lomi lomi salmon, squid luau, and that kind of shit.

Most places on the mainland stick to teriyaki/bbq type things, macadamia nut encrusted fish, etc.

At most they'll have oven made kalua pork, overpriced musubi (as though it's something more than cheap food only people who grew up eating it are going to order), and loco moko, because all of those can be made with things easily obtained on the mainland.

I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever seen pork lau lau outside of Hawaii was at L&L, which I never would have gone to when I lived there (except for when they did li hing mui slushies).

It's weird because I think of Hawaiian food as cheap but delicious, yet Hawaiian restaurants like you described aren't super cheap, yet also don't sell the foods us expats want, and would be willing to pay extra to get.

It's basically comfort food that I'm thinking of, not, like you said, leftover tiki style tourist food with a local flair.
>>
>>7160259

>squid luau

That's like a repressed memory from childhood, coming back like a gift I wasn't expecting.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.