[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got some kimchi. what do I do with it? I've never had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: kimchi-22.jpg (25 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
kimchi-22.jpg
25 KB, 640x426
I got some kimchi.

what do I do with it?

I've never had kimchi before.
>>
Put it on salad. That's what we do in New Zealand.
>>
Throw it in your ramen
>>
Scramble it up with some ham or spam and green onions.
>>
Into the trash can
>>
>>7154934
just eat it by itself. good kimchi is bomb
>>
>>7154934
Chicken stock, anchovies, chilli powder, red curry paste, onion, pork belly. You've got yourself a great stew there.
>>
>>7154934

Without getting too far into meme territory, it's actually great with bacon I've found. Make a BLT and add a layer of kimchi.
>>
Are there any good brands of kimchi? The only kind they had at my local Asian grocer was a ridiculously huge jar and it was subpar.
>>
Its good as it is. Throw it on a plate with some rice and grilled chicken.
>>
>>7155293
The best i've had was out of some small korean store in a mason jar. I guess try another store and look for the homade stuff. It's hit or miss.
>>
>>7155293
Make your own, it's easy af pham desu.
Also store bought shit is often pasteurized defeating the purpose of eating a fermented food.
>>
I ended up making some rice with cut up sausage, mushrooms and a fried egg on top with the kimchi cooked up a little bit. plenty of soy and random spices too (paprika and coriander, probably not the best choices but I'm learning)

it was tasty as fuck actually. I'm only starting to improvise my food and this was the best experiment so far.
>>
>>7154934
Rub it on your butthole so you get some keen anal with your islamic boyfriend.
>>
>>7155707
Are there Korean muslims?
>>
File: kimchi.png (563 KB, 852x391) Image search: [Google]
kimchi.png
563 KB, 852x391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZ9m3Bikuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVyBKNfxkk

I honestly just eat it on its own, or with whatever else I'm having (it's just like a spicy pickle/coleslaw type thing), before I get a chance to incorporate it into an actual dish.
>>
>>7155748
Oh shit, maanchi is the comfiest channel to watch, learnt pretty much everything I know about korean cooking from her channel.
>>
>>7155748

Honestly just watch all the vids this lady has made, you'll find plenty of uses for it, even if the recipe doesn't have kimchi in it, it was meant for eating with kimchi, as with pretty much all korean food
>>
My favourite thing is kimchi stews, but that would use up a lot of it. It's also good in fried rice.

Otherwise, just eat it cold as a sidedish.

p.s. I've lived in Korea for years, and took me white a while to appreciate cold kimchi, but you'll get there.
>>
>>7155740
There are muslims in Korea (as guest workers, not terribly uncommon), but I've never heard of a Korean Muslim.
>>
>>7154934
it's a condiment. eat it as a side to stuff. i like eating it along with white rice with proteins like steak or grilled/fried chicken/pork chops. spicy, slightly sour, fresh/crisp taste is such a great contrast to fatty foods.
>>
Drink it
>>
>>7155316
this.
i can't handle storebought anymore. home-made, when you hit that perfect ripeness, is unbeatable.

Eat a bit on its own, mince & mix it with fresh chopped cucumber and green peppers for a great salad, it's awesome in fried rice, and -- oddly -- on hotdogs.
>>
>>7155748
she is the true queen of /ck/
>>
>>7154934
Make white rice to start and just have them together.
>>
>>7154934
>I got some kimchi.

>what do I do with it?

My advice would be to call her and ask.

There are 6 listings in the US for "Kimberly Chi"
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Kimberly-Chi

There are 20 listings in the US for "Kim Chi"
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Kim-Chi

Do what you will with this information.
>>
>>7155316
>>7156514

recipes pl0x
>>
>>7156518

>she is the true queen of /ck/

If I thought that whole idea wasn't cancer I'd agree.

There's nothing like a slightly chubby Asian woman who's matter or fact as fuck in the kitchen, actually includes the parts where she washes her shit as she goes, and probably grew up cooking for 10 other people.

It's so refreshing to watch her after growing sick of all the shit on food network, where even the professional chefs cook as though they're as scared of doing anything efficiently, like Giada or most of the next foodnetwork stars/home cooks.
>>
>>7156560

I've made both Maangchi and Lucky Peach/Momofuku recipes and they all turned out good.

I'm not Korean, though, but neither are you.
>>
>>7156568
she is all business, and puts hella effort into the website as well.
I can't imagine it's a huge money-making operation either, but as pretty much the only online resource for korean dishes, it's invaluable
>>
>>7156574
maangchi's mak kimchi is a good base recipe -- the important thing to remember is that there are really no exact ratios -- except for maybe the brine.
everything else you can adjust to taste. i like to blend oil-packed anchovies into the initial paste.
>>
>>7156574
>>7156643
replied to wrong guy
>>
>>7156637

I have no idea where else she might be getting money from, but the NYC apartment she films in doesn't look at all cheap.

>>7156643

How much do you make at a time, and how long do you keep it around for?

I've only ever made it in relatively small quantities that didn't last more than 2-3 weeks.

Does it get super funky if you make a giant batch and keep it in the fridge for multiple months?
>>
>>7154934
Isn't there supposed to be an airlock on that jar? Or has it finished fermenting?
>>
>>7156651
I tend to make a pretty sizeable amount -- I'll usually make enough to last 2 months in one go. I managed to find one of those large tupperware containers that Maangchi uses in her videos, so that usually lasts me quite awhile.

As for storage, I always keep the majority of it in the fridge, putting it right in as soon as it's made. I do, though, keep a separate smaller container of it outside the fridge, so that I have some more fermented/sour stuff to use for recipes that allow cooked kimchi.

The best tasting stuff -- optimum balance of lacto-fermented sour taste, multifaceted savoriness, and crispy texture -- happens when the main batch has been sitting about a month and half in the fridge.

Kimchi preference, though, is pretty individual -- some of my Korean friends love kimchi that's fresh or under a week old, and others make batches that they deliberately keep around for 6 months, just to get that extreme sourness.
>>
>>7156653
you usually don't need an airlock. just open the jar every day or two, and make sure all the vegetables are submerged in the brine.
>>
>>7156856

Thanks, anon.

One to two months is around what I was thinking for a batch, though I wasn't sure about letting it sit out for a day or two (or a week) before moving it to the fridge.
>>
>>7157033
definitely don't do a week. a day is probably fine, and you'll get the initial sourness quicker that way. I find that the slower it ferments, the better the end-result flavor will be. If you let it sit out of the fridge for a week, it'll be sour and bubbly, but won't taste any good. If you let it sit in the fridge for a month or two, it'll eventually reach the same sourness but actually be tasty.
happy kimchi-ing
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.