[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What up /ck/? American here. Bought a can of pic related from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: heinz-192_687136e.jpg (15 KB, 192x273) Image search: [Google]
heinz-192_687136e.jpg
15 KB, 192x273
What up /ck/? American here. Bought a can of pic related from the pakishop and want to do beans on toast le olde endlande style.

How do I do it authentic? White or wheat? Microwave or saucepan? How deep of a toast? One slice per can or two?
>>
>>7150163

oh yea and essential condiments?
>>
>>7150163
1-2 slices of white bread, toast in toaster to the colour of your preference. To heat the beans you can use a micro but I prefer to heat in a saucepan as theres a more even heat
>>
I doubt all households in endland have their beans on toast adhere to such strict rules as those you seek to apply
>>
>>7150168
>>7150170

What's a good price in a restaurant? The indian restaurant by my house sells beanz on toast for 8 dollars (with pickle and chips), so I wonder if that would be easier. The can was 5 dollars but I can take it back.
>>
>>7150176

It's pretty much unheard of for it to be served in a restaurant. It's cheap "bachelor food" that you throw together when you're lazy. It's not something anyone goes out to eat.
>>
>>7150176
What do you think? $8 dollars for a slice of bread and some tinned beans, really? If you're really bothered about sampling one of the shittest staples of our cuisine the traditional way, just do it at home. I remember when I was a kid and poor I'd have to grate cheddar over it to make it palatable.
>>
>>7150163
Beans on their own are kind of boring if you ask me.

I recommend having it with a full breakfast. Fry some bacon and eggs up and then cook the beans in the same saucepan. Put them on toast, I'd usually have anything but white because white bread seems pointless to me (multi-grain and wholemeal are basically the same taste/texture, but not void of nutrition). Butter the toast if that's your thing.

Cherry tomatoes with beans do alright, so do mushrooms, personally I like gherkins with my beans.

>>7150194
It's usually a part of a larger meal. Canned baked beans may be cheap bachelor food, but they're good as fuck for heart health.
>>
File: van_camps_pork_and_beans.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
van_camps_pork_and_beans.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
Quick comment here. If anyone wants to try this but can't find the beans pictured in OP (or if they are crazy expensive), then use pic related. They are ubiquitous in US supermarkets and taste nearly identical to OP. Don't be scared off by the "pork" in the title. The amount of pork in a can is vanishingly small. It's beans in tomato sauce.
>>
>>7150252

I don't eat meat so that's a no go for me. I also don't really like sweet things other than desserts, and I've heard american style baked beans are really sweet.

>>7150194

I'm pretty sure when I visited London around Covent Garden I saw restaurants selling it so I'm not sure what you are on about.
>>
I've had beans on toast at least four times a week since I was about six years old, so I know what I'm talking about

>1.5 tablespoons of beans per slice
>definitely saucepan
>white is probably more """ authentic""" but I find if incredibly boring in comparison to my usual thick sliced hovis granary

Oh and use a grill (I believe you call it a broiler) if you have one

I put in some chilli powder and black pepper but this probably isn't for everyone

These days I tend to make 4-6 slices at a time because it seems pointless otherwise
>>
>>7150163
Microwaves can "burst" beans, so gently warm them on the stove for best texture.
OP, a really nice white bread, not the wonder bread kind of bread, but dense and nicely crusted bread would make the best beans on toast (or chipped beef on toast, or welsh rarebit). You want the crust such that your knife goes through it without any effort, but you don't want it burned to taint the overall flavor. Even french bread is fine, just not spongey soft cheap preservatives bread. It's an old time recipe, so back in the day, the bread was real and it was baked daily.

The difference between british empire Heinz beans and the US, is minimal, but has to do with tomato content and sugar content, imho. Plain ol Pork n Beans is indeed fine. If you want to up the british flavors, give it 2 drops of worchestershire or brown sauce (or A1 or pickapeppa).

Historical note(s): S.O.S. is shit on toast, or same ol shit, as this was a ration kind of food to military troops once upon a time. Filling but boring. The whole of country was on rations as a matter of fact. Beans in the morning isn't a new thing though, and it's colonial recipes that led to the boston baked bean. It had to do with just something that would cook the night through and be ready in the morning. Beans in a heavy bottomed crock, covered with a plate, over a smoldering unrefreshed fire. It was also something that was sabbath/no work ready, and also used up the hambone from the previous dinner. Beans are still traditional monday or wash day food back in places with acadian or other catholic influence. Jews have their crock pot version too.

Molletes (mexican beans on sourdough roll (bolillo) toast with browned fresh white cheese and salsa on the side) are my #1 favorite beans for mornings. Try that next!
>>
>>7150352
>I've heard american style baked beans are really sweet.
That totally depends on the brand/style/product/cook
>>
>>7150352
>I don't eat meat so that's a no go for me.

The amount of "meat" in the can is about the size of a grain of rice.

>>I've heard american style baked beans are really sweet.
Many are. But what I posted is not "baked beans". I posted that brand specifically because it's beans in tomato sauce, 99% identical to OP. That's why I made that specific recommendation: unlike "baked beans", THAT ONE is perfect for beans on toast.
>>
>>7150424

interesting then thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can find a vegetarian version and look at the sugar content.
>>
Dribble a bit of Lea and Perrins on it.
>>
>>7150352
>I'm pretty sure when I visited London around Covent Garden I saw restaurants selling it so I'm not sure what you are on about.

That's weird. Were they cafés? I'm a Londonder and I wouldn't expect a Covent Garden restaurant to serve that unless some hipsters had found a way to make "gourmet baked beans on toast", which I guess isn't impossible considering that they're trying to pass beef burgers as haute cuisine these days.
>>
Might as well of just put some ketchup on a slice of wonder bread.

It's really nothing special, at all...
>>
File: DSC_0445.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0445.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
Heinz are pretty shit. I'd recommend Bush's, at least they put some meat in there and actual flavour. Avoid the honey/sugar ones, they're basically dessert.

All baked beans are awfully runny though, I always cook mine on the stove on low for about half an hour to get a nice thick sauce. Baking would also probably work.

I love to serve them on potato bread too.
>>
>>7150642

OP is talking about a specific British dish. Bush's beans--while tasty--are not the correct flavor for replicating the original dish. If OP is trying to do this British style the Bush's would be a bad choice. If he just wants to put some beans on toast then they'd be fine.
>>
>>7150176
Cretin.
>>
>>7150656
There's no rule that it has to be Heinz. I'm sure plenty of restaurants over there make their own beans for full breakfasts.
>>
>>7150712

I'm sure you're right. But the taste of Bush's beans is very different from what is typical in England. The British type lacks the molasses/sweet sort of taste that Bush's has. It's also a different type of bean. Again, I'm not saying Bush's is bad -- it's just different than the British version.
>>
It's really quite simple -
1. Put your Heinz beans in a saucepan
2. Gently warm them as you put your bread in the toaster (Bread is dependant on taste; I prefer Hovis brown), darkness is dependant on personal preference again - it might take a few tries to get the consistency and taste right.
3. Then butter up your toast and spread your now hot (not boiled) beans. Cheddar is an optional extra, but it kind of takes away the much needed simplicity.
>>
File: 8846222819358.jpg (134 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
8846222819358.jpg
134 KB, 960x960
>>7150163
>not eating Branston for that authentic olde endlande style
nice try there lardo
>>
>>7150163
>mfw I literally just finished eating beans on toast for my tea
Saucepan for the beans, only takes a little longer than toasting.
Make sure to butter the toast - 2 slices.
Doesn't matter on the type of bread, mine was brown and malty though.
I put a little chilli sauce and a pinch of grated cheese too.
If you want to go all out, pop a fried egg on top of the cheese too.
You'll need between half to a whole tin for two slices, depending on how hungry you are.
>>
>>7150352
>beans on toast
>covent garden
>w0t
>>
>>7150853
I understand Branston. UK Fag here so know..
>>
>>7150853
Branston is just as good.
>>
Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up getting stressed out so I'll have to try it tomorrow though.
>>
File: adventure time.gif (3 MB, 300x219) Image search: [Google]
adventure time.gif
3 MB, 300x219
>>7151817
>Stressed out by beans on toast
/ck/, you're too much
>>
>>7151841
I know you don't have one, but other people can have stresses in their life that don't pertain to 4chan.
>>
BEANZ
MEANZ
HEINZ
>>
I bought some Heinz beans and they were pretty bland.
>>7150860
Chili sauce sounds good, also the egg.
Are there typical spices or just straight from can?
>>
>>7150853
This.
They usually have a good deal on Branston beans in B&Ms; sgetti hoops too.
>>
File: 1409278653839.jpg (393 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1409278653839.jpg
393 KB, 1500x1000
>beanz
>z
>>
>>7151907
Fuck your muslim tastebuds.
>>
That fucking feelerino when spaghetti hoops and hotdogs in smokey bacon sauce was discontinued.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
>>7150252

Thank you. This is good information to have.
>>
>>7150176
>The indian restaurant by my house sells beanz on toast for 8 dollars
Now you know why pakis and indians are known as thieving bastards, beans on toast is supposed to be cheap and quick to prepare. Think of it like ramen, you can live off it but it is not considered great food.
>>
>>7151907
a teaspoon or so of paprika and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
>>
>>7152715
Paprika sounds good. I use a splash of Tabasco sauce. I know a lot people here can't help but go retarded when that sauce is mentioned, and understand why, but in this scenario does the job well.

Tried the Heinz with sausage ones the other week. Think I'll stick with frying up bacon/black pudding and using the standard variety.
>>
File: Crazy3.jpg (81 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Crazy3.jpg
81 KB, 1024x576
>>7152710

It's kind of a delicacy in america though because we have this mythos about the british and their ascetic non-sweet beans (how do you do it?)
>>
>>7153411
>It's kind of a delicacy in america
Not in the least
>>
>>7150176
>8 dollars
I kek'd

stuff shouldn't cost more than 60 cents
>>
>>7153411
We don't add sugar to every meal we eat.
>>
>>7150163
I tried these once - tasted like bland pockets of paste in watery ketchup.
>>
>>7152710

you'd be much better off eating beanz on toast than ramen. The fact that shitty cheap food in England is actually decently nutritious tells you why Americans are radically obese.
>>
>>7153623
It's more than decently nutritious, it's pretty much just entirely fiber and protein. If you use anything besides wonderbread, it's even better for you.
>>
>>7153631

yea I understated it. I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, but I'm not entirely sure of the place that beanz on toast has in english culture.
>>
>>7153631

What really gets me is people that go to taco bell and refuse to get refried beans because they think its unhealthy and go for the cheesy "beef" instead.
>>
>>7150853
Branston beans actually are better. Never thought I'd say that, but Heinz taste far too sweet for me now.

If you were being really cheap you'd use the cheapest Chorleywood supermarket own-brand bread you could find and the cheap beans from Aldi. That's, what, a 15p 'meal'? It's not much of a meal though, the cheap beans are hard as bullets.

Even when prepared with good beans, it's not a particularly special 'dish'. You'll fart. It's fairly cheap, satisfying, filling and surprisingly nutritious, it has a ton of fibre, but it's not really known for its flavour.

You could grate cheese on top, maybe some Worcester sauce, but it's still just beans on toast.

Most of the food that Britain really does well is pies or puddings. I don't think this really counts as cuisine, but I suppose if poutine - essentially a good chips/cheese/gravy - does, this could? Huh.
>>
File: Buchs Baked Beans.jpg (151 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Buchs Baked Beans.jpg
151 KB, 500x375
>>7150163
How similar are these?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.