[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to live on a budget, and I was wondering what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Q1QYxh4.png (528 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Q1QYxh4.png
528 KB, 800x600
I'm trying to live on a budget, and I was wondering what good, tasty food I could make that costs fuck all. I eat just about anything, so taste won't be an issue.
>>
whole chickens, rice, and root vegetables are all you need
your options are limitless with those things

want to get a little cheffy too?
buy yourself a bag of flour, that opens you up to bread any time you want where a loaf costs under a dollar to make, really want to indulge a bit? crack an egg into that motherfucker and make pasta too
hell you don't even need the egg if you want asian style noodles, just flour, baking soda, and patience..however the azns add kansui, thats the secret ingredient no round eye is supposed to know about
>>
Get a pork picnic roast and slow cook it

Eat it all week with rice, in tacos, or BBQ sandwiches.
>>
>>7147162
not op
Where I live, whole chicken is more expensive than the parts. It's pretty stupid to be honest, family. For the price of one whole chicken, I could get 3 Walmart chickens (when they get marked down to $2.49) and have some change left over.
OP, go to Wal Mart and see if they have any marked down rotisserie birds. They're an insane value, and they're ready to eat. If they're not $2.49, they're under $4 for sure.
>>
>>7147177
but the bones! if the goal is to try and stretch your dollar you need to keep bones for boiling, and then cooking your rice and pasta in the liquid.
unless you can afford knorr chicken stock pots, in which case just do that
>>
>>7147205
I do this as well. I save the drumbs, wings and carcass in the freezer and make chicken noodle soup atleast once a month. It's one of my favorite meals and it's made out of stuff you'd just throw out. Can't beat that
>>
>>7147213
my mom makes chicken soup and it pisses me off because she puts the rice in the soup pot, so if you don't eat it immediately the rice absorbs all the liquid and in a little while its just mushy slop you would serve on a plate to prisoners
>>
>>7147205

rotisserie chickens have bones in them bro. eat the meat, make stock from the carcass.
>>
OP here. All good ideas.

Also for the bones/stock I can easily whip up a Risotto out of that, and there's an old bbq I can use for stock. I really love the old style bbq's with the hole in the middle; great for making gravy, with all the juices you collect off the meat.
>>
>>7147353
Yeah, i made a huge pot of italian wedding soup and added the pepe's into the pot with the soup. It was ruined the next day.
Make your own soup if you don't like her cooking
This is a good and simple recipe.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-soup-108014
>>
>>7147205
Knorr chicken stock pots are the best for people on a budget, and people who just want restaurant-quality stock at home, full stop. At less than £1 for 3.5 cups of stock, the value just CANNOT be beat.
>>
>>7147553
1) That's more expensive than making stock from scratch

2) The Knorr cups suck compared to proper stock because they are overly salty and contain too little gelatin.
>>
>>7147563
Everyone knows Knorr chicken stock pots just taste better. Top chefs agree. You are just wrong here, sorry.
>>
I frequently use Knorr Chicken Stock Pots in most of my dishes, it's versatile and a must in any home.
>>
>>7147597
>it's versatile and a must in any home
I use them to grout the tiles in my bathroom.
>>
>>7147128

Nigga make some goulash, that shit is tasty as fuck and cheap.

Get a good smoked hungarian or spanish paprika, a couple of big onions, pound of bacon, bag of potatos, eggplant or zookeeny, garlic, and some bell peppers, cook dat bacon off, throw in all the chopped up veg and let stew for 2 hours, then add the potato and eggplant an let chill for another 30 minutes on medium heat, add some cut up chicken or sausage mmmm mmmm niggro
>>
>>7147162
Whelp I know you're not poor
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.