[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gas or coal? My dad insists on using old coal every weekend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Gas or coal?

My dad insists on using old coal every weekend even though he has a beautiful gas grill. He claims it TASTES better and that gas makes it taste like chemicals and doesn't give it a real grilled flavor because there's no smoke. I think he's full of shit, it gets a flame grilled smoke flavor from juices dripping onto the flame and I think his charcoal shit tastes like cancer. He also insists on mixing used charcoal with new coals, disgusting. We argue about which is better, I only use gas at home and he'll only use coal.

Which is really better?
>>
Coal is better because it smokes a bit. Gas is for autists who can't cope with flavor on their meat.
>>
charcoal 'cause i have a shitty propane grill that just doesn't put out the heat.

i guess i like my propane grill when i'm doing something light, like hot dogs,hamburger patties, or chicken pieces.

i wouldn't trust it with a steak.
>>
>>7145562
Coal is for fucktards who haven't discovered consistent temperature control. Also the coals themselves give it a bad smoke flavor, the smoke flavor you want is burning fat and marinade which is what you get on a gas grill.
>>
Charcoal adds a nice flavor. Gas grills are a meme
>>
>>7145570

> I can't figure out how far away I should put my meats from the coals, because I need to cook everything in thirty seconds, therefore need a very consistent, very hot flame for my very bland processesed meat logs.
Learn to sacrifice rime for flavor, please. Otherwise, I recommend leaving this formerly fine cooking board.
>>
>>7145585
this.

It takes a bit of practice and patience but you learn to "layer" your grill so one side is piping hot while the other is medium/low, depending what you're cooking of course.
>>
File: 1371947665331.png (416 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1371947665331.png
416 KB, 624x480
>>7145565
> shitty propane grill

your fault for not going to strickland
>>
Why do you give a shit how your dad cooks? If you don't like his food, don't go there to eat.
>>
>>7145570
If you want temperature control use a skillet or an oven.
>>
I once went camping with a lady friend during college and we grilled steaks over a wood fire with a little aluminum grate and it was the best.

The propane vs charcoal debate has held no truck with me ever since. That being said gas is far superior for the reasons that Hank Hill has mentioned, "Taste the meat, not the heat."
>>
>>7146009
I dug a fire pit in my backyard once and did the same thing and it was awesome
>>
>>7145559

You don't get smoke or flavour from the charcoal you fucking dummy why would it matter if you used old coals?
>>
File: khan.png (194 KB, 347x259) Image search: [Google]
khan.png
194 KB, 347x259
Mesquite best, hillbilly!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.