[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sorry to do this /ck/ but you don't have a sticky.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: ITS FUCKING RAAAAAWWWW.jpg (157 KB, 280x390) Image search: [Google]
ITS FUCKING RAAAAAWWWW.jpg
157 KB, 280x390
I'm sorry to do this /ck/ but you don't have a sticky.

I finally have an apartment and have never cooked for myself properly before.

I want to eat healthily and become a good cook as a life skill from this point forward.

Where do I start, and what are some essential resources to help me?
>>
>>7143871
Why do you press the return key twice after every sentence?
>>
Google
>>
Well first you think of a food you like

Then you look up how to cook it
>>
>>7143871
You've improperly cooked for yourself?

>fucking foreigner detected
>>
>>7143881
>first you think of a food you like
>Then you look up how to cook it
This, really.

If you really have no clue, get yourself on a diet. Start your food groups/portion control, looking at overall intake, and then make meals and some plans for the week that work within your goals.

You think to youself, oh man never made soup, then you research how to do it well, then how to do it healthier, and you compromise. Then you park leftovers in the freezer in individual portions, for a day in the next couple of weeks you want to revisit it. One by one, you'll make choices and learn techniques and recipes. Don't act like this happens overnight. Want a good place to start? Weight watchers materials or American Heart Association. You could also start with the egg. Then move onto sauces or stocks. Be like the chef school order about it all.
>>
It really depends on your price range.Figure out the weekly amount you are willing to spend on groceries then decide then.
>>
>>7143878
So you can read it easier.

>>7143880
>>7143881
I know but is there a process of learning I should follow? What's a good base level to start with that I can branch out of later?

>>7143884
Pls no bully.

>>7143899
This sounds highly daunting. Bare in mind I don't know how to use most kitchen apparatus either, and I'm not really in a position to be wasting money on trial and error meals that I end up disliking.

That said, this does make sense to me, and starting with an egg comforts me for some reason, that seems logical. Thanks man.
>>
Pastas are simple.You can buy a bag of chicken breasts or tilipia relitivly cheap. Make different salads though you have to make sure you eat that and produce can be pricy for how long it lasts. Soups are simple and last a while. To save cash buy as many as basic seasonings as you can on either bulk sized containers or go to dollar stores. They sell the simple ones for around a buck.You can do a shit ton of stuff with eggs. But yeah. To save money and not overwhelm yourself just pick one dish that will challenge you once a week.
>>
>>
>>
>>7143911
http://cookingwithautism.com/
>>
>>7143911
Cooking isn't as scary as you think

My guide to tasty pan fried fish:

1. Put fish in a pan with a little butter/olive oil/pam spray so it won't stick
2. Flip after 2 minutes then wait 2 minutes
3. Put on plate and add a little lemon juice
4. Eat
>>
>>7143911
>I know but is there a process of learning I should follow? What's a good base level to start with that I can branch out of later?
The thing about cooking is it's so broad and adaptive with multiple applications that it would take a fat, thick-ass cookbook to cover most cooking methods for one region, and still miss out on a bunch of other ones, let alone how people halfway across the world do the same things. So the best thing to do is decide what you want to make, and learn how to make that. Slowly you'll accumulate things you're good at and you'll be able to cross-apply techniques, ideas, and accumulate abilities.

So what do you like to eat, OP? What utensils you have at your disposal that can help you achieve what you're trying to cook is important to consider, too (stove, oven, slow cooker, pressure cooker, microwave, what type of cookware, bakeware, what). But mostly, what do you like to eat? We can tell you how to make a lot of things, but if you hate soft foods or cold things or spicy, then that's a lot of wasted time. Do you spend much of your time at home so you have time to wait/prep, or are you out and about? Do you need to carry things for lunch and can you take a hot lunch or does it have to be cold? Are you starting to see why a sticky would be a massive clusterfuck of unorganized infographics (a portion of them, like all cooking advice you will find, will consist of complete shit ideas) and useless without some individual direction? Will you give us an idea on what you need?
>>
Get a traditional recipes book (or good blogs and YouTube channels) from wherever you come from/live in.
Try those until you feel comfortable, then start looking into other countries' cuisines.

The reason why I recommend this is because it's easier to cook something when you know what to expect and what it is supposed to taste/look like, the ingredients will probably be easier to find and you won't have to struggle with foreign measurement units.

For Spanish and Italian cuisine I recommend 1080 recetas de cocina and Il cucchiaio d'argento respectively.
>>
>>7143938
Thanks for this, costing is an issue which is why I'm nervous about this, I'll have to buy in bulk to save money, but if it just ends up sitting on the shelf for months then it's a complete waste.

>>7143978
>>7143989
I like these kind of visual things, thanks.

>>7144016
>So what do you like to eat, OP?
I like meats. The problem is the meat I eat is very bland. It will be just steak, or steamed chicken, very little flavourings or sauces added to it. I've lived a very basic existence in terms of food so I feel like I 'don't know what I like' if that makes sense. I want to get strong, so more proteins, more vegetables.
>Do you spend much of your time at home so you have time to wait/prep, or are you out and about?
I get home at 7PM, I'm in bed by 10PM, so not really. Unless on weekends, then I have all day.
>Are you starting to see why a sticky would be a massive clusterfuck
Yes, quite clearly.

>>7144020
Yeah this is something that makes me feel more comfortable, I tried making burgers the other day and genuinely didn't know if it was 'cooked' right and was paranoid I'd end up eating raw meat.

Italian sounds good, I'll check that out.
>>
>>7144048
>I like meats. The problem is the meat I eat is very bland. It will be just steak, or steamed chicken, very little flavourings or sauces added to it.
>>7144048
You need to season the meat before cooking. Also steaming is a "bland" cooking method, try pan frying or grilling to add more flavour. Pan frying in olive oil isn't really unhealthy and it will add so much flavour to your chicken compared to steaming.

As for youtube videos I like Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals.

My best tip would be to buy a load of jarred dried herbs and spices and just experiment with them. Fresh is better but for convenience and a long shelf life jarred is a good option. Also try using fresh onions and garlic if you like them.
>>
>>7144048
If you like cisual things with step by steps the booru is the board's archive.
http://ck.booru.org/index.php

The "guide" tag has a few general ones under it.
>>
>>7143993
>290 pages of task-analysed recipes – broken into small steps, expressed in simple clear terms.

Is it bad that I want to get this
>>
>>7143871
not sure how noob of a cook you are but just start simple and work yourself up, learn proper knifework, get decent pots and pans and a nice chefs knife. start simple and learn how to cook basics like eggs/beans/rice/pasta/potatoes. but seriously go and make sure you can use a knife properly or youll cut yourself good. just check out youtube for everything and take it slow. easy dishes would be spaghetti bolognaise, steaks with garlic brussels sprouts all of which you can cook using just 2 pans. stock up with some simple spices like salt, pepper, chili flakes and anything else you might like. stay stocked on things like potatos and onions cause those things last a long time and go well with just about anything.
>>
Go Vegan, eat cheap and healty,+ you are saving some animals and the world at the same time.
>>
File: open wide!.jpg (586 KB, 1848x1419) Image search: [Google]
open wide!.jpg
586 KB, 1848x1419
skinnytaste.com
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.