[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking love brussel sprouts. The texture and flavor is just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14
File: 12846143544_32a16f65ff.jpg (111 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
12846143544_32a16f65ff.jpg
111 KB, 500x333
I fucking love brussel sprouts. The texture and flavor is just to good.

How do you guys cook your sprouts? What seasonings do you add?
>>
File: How-About-No-04.jpg (59 KB, 600x358) Image search: [Google]
How-About-No-04.jpg
59 KB, 600x358
nature's meatballs, you say?
>>
Olive oil, salt and pepper sauteed in butter
>>
>>7131224
>how i cook sprouts
high heat in a pan...add bacon grease, salt and pepper, garlic, finish in oven then add bacon chunks
>>
>>7131224
Saute in vegetable oil until well browned, cover them in chicken stock and add some butter and finish in a low oven or on a low simmer on the stove.
>>
>>7131224
Butter, basil, black pepper
>>
Coat in olive oil, salt and pepper,
Roast at 400F for 30 minutes or so, moving around every couple minutes until charred

grated hard cheese on top
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mxjr1ym1zS1qdei8m.jpg (140 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mxjr1ym1zS1qdei8m.jpg
140 KB, 500x331
bacon grease in a ripping hot pan with sliced onions, broil as close to the top heating element for ~5 minutes and then top with bacon

looks like pic related, hopefully a bit more burnt, but semi-crisp in the middle instead of full mush

tried tossing it with some reduced balsamic yesterday; wasnt bad. spicy honey is pretty good too.
>>
>>7131224
Slice them in half and toss them with some salt, pepper, butter and a little water if they're dry(like the amount that clings to them from washing should be enough).

Arrange them cut side down on a baking pan and cover tightly with foil and put them in a 450 degree oven for ten minutes. Then I uncover them and bake them for another ten minutes. Serve as is or dress them up.
>>
Anyone know how to make these good with balsamic vinegar and without using the oven?

Can I just slowly cook them on the stove or do I have to blanch them in boiling water first?
>>
Used to saute them in bacon grease with onions and cook long enough to start to carmelize them (cut in half or quarters depending on size.)

That method is delicious, but I've recently been converted to roasting them, which gives an even better flavor I think. Halved sprouts and some garlic tossed in olive oil in roasting pan with salt and pepper.
>>
>>7131403
Brussels sprouts are fairly thick and have a hard center. Blanching doesn't do any good because it's too short of a time to get the heat to the center.

Get a pan really hot. Ideally it should not be a nonstick pan since it will taste better if you develop a nice fond. Toss 'em in there with a little oil or butter and saute them on high heat until you get some dark bits on there. Then lower the heat, add a splash of stock (or water in a pinch) and simmer until they're cooked through. Drain off any excess water that may be present. Add some balsamic vinegar and a little sugar and carmelize over high heat to finish.
>>
>>7131411
Seconding that blanching sprouts is pointless and counterproductive.
>>
>>7131403
im >>7131279
id reduce some balsamic by half in volume, throw it in a mixing bowl with a glob of honey, get a hard sear on some brussels (do both sides if you dont like them crunchy in the middle), and toss it all together in the mixing bowl while the sprouts are still hot

doing it while it's still piping hot should help them stay a bit crispier and the honey will help the fat on the sprouts emulsify with the vinegar to get the dressing to cling a bit better.
>>
Semi-braised in onion-butter with powdered caraway.
Blanch for 1 minute.
Drain.
Put into a container, still hot, and add onion butter, salt and freshly powdered caraway.
Shake to combine and allow to sit in its own residual heat a minute or two before serving.
Super, super simple.

I also like to shred them up and dry them to use in place of dried cabbage when I make włoszczyzna. Since I use no celery, parsley or lovage (swapping them out for half-and-half mix of parsnip and celeriac), I like the green colour it provides.
My włoszczyzna is carrot, parsnip, celeriac, leek and Brussels sprouts in 1:1:1:3:5 ratio.
>>
>>7131224

my beagle likes roasted brussel sprouts for some reason. Whenever I make them (all I use is olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper) she begs for one and it always surprises me when she actually eats it.
>>
I wash them, cut them in half and fry the flat side in olive oil infused with black pepper, salt and fresh minced garlic. I fry it until it is nice and brown then I eat it.
>>
>>7131224
I cook them together with a few potato pieces and meatballs for a ridiculous good stew.
>>
>>7131224
>What seasonings do you add
Nutmeg
>>
I'm not sure the exact process but I've had them roasted with root veggies (though they aren't). They used carrots potatoes and parsnips in addition yo the sprouts. I assume it was toss with olive oil salt and pepper. The trick would be to have them all a size they all cook properly. Taken out of the pan and finished with balsamic, more oil if needed, and any fresh herbs you prefer.
>>
I cover them in a mixture of honey, salt/pepper, butter and 'cha, then i bake em
>>
>>7131646
My exact recipe. Except I use butter instead of olive oil. Nicely browned, even slightly blackened on the bottom is good.
>>
>>7131229
boring
>>
>>7131224
olive oil, salt and pepper, bake in oven for 15 min. perfect
>>
Deep fried, at the place I work at. Sounds stupid but it adds a nice crispness to them and it works surprisingly well.
>>
File: 1439696648466.jpg (87 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1439696648466.jpg
87 KB, 900x900
>>7131240
>bacon grease
>bacon chunks

Why not some sriracha avocado sauce and a Kinder egg too, you walking meme?
>>
>>7131240
I love doing this too, try adding pinenuts or walnuts to finish and maybe a squeeze of lemon or wine.
>>
the only time i've eaten these they have been bitter. what am i doing wrong?
>>
>>7131224
One of my favorite ways is to render some lardons in a pan, sautee onions and brussels with some salt, then add some sugar, let it liquefy a bit then deglaze with raspberry vinegar.

For the life of me I cannot remember what this technique is caller right now. That is adding sugar and then deglazing with vinegar. Anyone help me out here? Its just on the tip of my tongue but I can't place it.
>>
butter
>>
Is dry roasting these enough? Every time I try it they come out hard and with a septic taste
>>
>>7131224
I personally use olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic.
Just don't let them soften to much, then add some toasted breadcrumbs with parsley and/or some crushed peanuts.
>>
File: 439741c.jpg (11 KB, 299x198) Image search: [Google]
439741c.jpg
11 KB, 299x198
I just boil them in salted water
>>
>>7131224
>when you roast the sprouts and they get that slightly burnt crispy layer on the outside

hhhnnnngggg so good
>>
I chop up salt pork and brown this in a pan and set it aside.

Then I steam the brussel sprouts and when they are tender enough I put them in the pan with the bacon bits.

Then I heat it up with some butter and salt until the butter is melted and the bacon is mixed with the sprouts, then serve with something like Corned Beef Brisket and Potato.
>>
File: sprouts.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
sprouts.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I've never been able to make good brussel sprouts, but seriously these frozen ones that you just put in the microwave are amazing somehow. Cheap too.

I don't know how they do it, they're still chewy and really moist inside, and they aren't kind of bitter (and kind of foul smelling) like when I used to cook them myself. The sauce that comes with it is a little rich (and salty) so I usually wash it off though.
>>
File: believethegovernment.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
believethegovernment.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
>>7131224
I braise in whiskey
>>
File: 1427432008531.jpg (19 KB, 450x311) Image search: [Google]
1427432008531.jpg
19 KB, 450x311
>>7136934
me too. thats a cute animal
>>
Sometimes when I make sprouts I steam them and while they steam I saute Garlic in butter and then add scallion and mix the sprouts in. season with salt and more butter.
>>
When I say butter, I mean real butter.

Not that fake margarine crap, dont ever by that, its horrible.
>>
Since there is such a unanimous agreement that roasted, fried, or broiled sprouts are delicious, and that boiled sprouts are awful, why did everyone always boil them, to the point that they got a reputation of being shitty?
>>
>>7137219
Most people haven't bothered to actually cook anything that tastes good since like the 80s
That's why boiling your vegetables and overcooking meats was often done, because people really didn't think about cooking past "making it safe(r) to eat"
>>
>>7137192
Does anybody still buy margarine?
>>
>>7137231
Old people and stupid people.
>>
File: 1443188671692.jpg (35 KB, 480x411) Image search: [Google]
1443188671692.jpg
35 KB, 480x411
Saute in Chicken broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and brown sugar..
>>
boil them, then fry in bacon. god teir,

or duck fat roasted spouts
>>
>>7135736
Ended up remembering it last night. Its a gastrique
>>
>>7134947

How dare you bypass my sriracha word filter???
>>
>>7135009

Yes pls. This barbecue place near me gas these maple syrup and bacon Brussels sprouts that are amazing (and yes they also have 100% of your daily meme requirements) and they have to be deep fried. I can't figure out how else they would get the texture they have.
>>
File: 1436094415694.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1436094415694.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>ctrl+f mustard
>0 results

You guys are missing out so bad.
>>
>>7137219
Because people like >>7137226 aren't able to boil stuff properly and assume that everything that's boiled isn't good just because they suck at cooking.
>>
olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic. roast in the oven for 20 mins. sprinkle some parmesan cheese and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top at the end.
>>
I like to steam mine and put some salt and butter on top.

>people actually adding all this extra shit

why do you want to cover the natural flavor of the brussel sprouts?
>>
>>7131224
Halved
Roasted either in the pan or the oven
Oven with honey & whole grain mustard
Pan with sherry or Madeira reduced then add whole grain mustard
Deep fried is also good
And when I halve them I like to peel off any loose leaves & save them for pasta dishes or soup
>>
>>7135062
So if you use bacon to enhance the flavor of food like they have been doing forever it's a meme now? Fuck these people are stupid. Even if this is just bait I know there are actually people like this...
>>
>>7131411
>Ideally it should not be a nonstick pan since it will taste better if you develop a nice fond.
A nonstick pan makes a better fond?
>>
Tons of great ways to prepare those fuckers. These are my favorites:

1) Fry some bacon, shallots, and garlic in a pan. Add halved sprouts, salt, and pepper. When nicely caramelized, add a little bit of chicken stock and let it reduce.

or

2) Put halved sprouts on a cookie sheet, drizzle with oil and salt + pepper. Bake until nice and crispy on the outside. Put them in a bowl and toss with a honey + hot sauce + lime juice mixture.
>>
>liking the taste of boiled piss
>>
>>7138589
You got it all wrong
>>
I've been craving brussel sprouts lately but I haven't bought any because I wanted to use them for something. I don't feel like just roasting/boiling/frying a bunch of them and eating.

Is there any recipes that use them as ingredients? I'd imagine maybe you could use them with some rice and perhaps noodles?
>>
File: 1447262991541.jpg (49 KB, 682x682) Image search: [Google]
1447262991541.jpg
49 KB, 682x682
>>7138385
>>
Roast. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce.
>>
>>7131240
>tl;dr

"I just like bacon, OP."
>>
>>7131224

I'm eating them right now. First time on /ck/ and they're the reason I came here. I've been cooking and eating brussel sprouts for about a month now.

Fried on high heat with lots of olive oil, lemon and garlic. I think its actually the best think I've ever tasted
>>
>>7135699
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAS2R38
>Taste receptor 2 member 38 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TAS2R38 gene. TAS2R38 is a bitter taste receptor; varying genotypes of TAS2R38 influence the ability to taste both 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP) and phenylthiocarbamide (PTC).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylthiocarbamide
>Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), also known as phenylthiourea (PTU), is an organosulfur thiourea containing a phenyl ring.
>It has the unusual property that it either tastes very bitter or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster. The ability to taste PTC is often treated as a dominant genetic trait, although inheritance and expression of this trait are somewhat more complex.
>About 70% of people can taste PTC, varying from a low of 58% for indigenous peoples of Australia and New Guinea to 98% for indigenous peoples of the Americas. [...] PTC does not occur in food, but related chemicals do, and food choice is related to a person's ability to taste PTC
>Ability to taste PTC may be correlated with a dislike of plants in the Brassica genus, presumably due to chemical similarities

tl;dr your genes are against you liking brussel sprouts
>>
>>7131224
wrap it in bacon
put in oven
...and that's it. It's the simplest thing in the world, and it's delicious.
>>
>>7137888

I like to steam them instead of boiling because they dont hold as much water.
>>
>>7138321

Its good both ways, sometimes the other food your eating is suited to bacon and sometimes its not.

Like If I am eating sprouts with Salmon I will just use butter and salt sometimes. Maybe also garlic and onion because that is good too.
>>
>>7131227
>meatballs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENsMiobLmc
>>
>>7131224
bacon onion and stir fried
>>
>>7131224
roast with olive oil and kosher salt
>>
they are like baby cabbages when I was younger I used to eat the outside leafs first before the centers
>>
>>7131224

I always liked them well enough steamed and eaten plain. Some of the ideas I've been getting from this thread are making me want to be more adventurous though
>>
halve or quarter and stir fry in olive oil
>>
>>7131224
What I like to do is just boil them in a pot of beef stock with some pepper and bay leaves and wala, soup ideal for cutting.
>>
Sautéed with olive oil, garlic and onion. Add handful or 2 of pecans if you're feeling fancy.
>>
>>7131224

I just put them in the cocker with the rice I like them soft
>>
>>7143698

Pecans sounds like a really good accompaniment.
>>
>>7131224
brussel sprouts are the bomb yo.
i really like to panfry them in butter, along with a little bit of garlic and chili, adding lemon juice at the end.
>>
>>7131224
chop them in half and fry them with some soy sauce and pine nuts, it's the dankest thing you'll ever taste.
>>
File: web-brussels-sprouts-spoon.jpg (429 KB, 600x605) Image search: [Google]
web-brussels-sprouts-spoon.jpg
429 KB, 600x605
Olive oil in pan on medium, lay them in flat side up and just let them sit for a while, also salt and pepper.

Then turn heat to max, drizzle with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar, flip them over so the flat side gets crispy and caramelized.

So good.
>>
File: 1438541179688.gif (688 KB, 250x163) Image search: [Google]
1438541179688.gif
688 KB, 250x163
>the most useful cooking advice i've ever seen on /ck/
>it's in a thread about fucking brussel sprouts

I fucking love you guys
>>
File: 1449231848307.jpg (121 KB, 1304x978) Image search: [Google]
1449231848307.jpg
121 KB, 1304x978
>>7135062
>shitpost on 4chan
>calling others memes
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.