[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kinds of wild/exotic animal meats have you eaten?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11
File: grizzly.jpg (24 KB, 380x250) Image search: [Google]
grizzly.jpg
24 KB, 380x250
What kinds of wild/exotic animal meats have you eaten?
>>
I've had a moose burger before and it was amazing. It did have a bit of beef in it to hold it together because moose is lean. Or so I was told.
>>
>>7124969
Black bear and antelope are probably the most "exotic" meats I've eaten
>>
turtle, snake, caribou, moose, elk, venison
>inb4 deer is not exotic
rabbit
>inb4 rabbit is not exotic
pigeon, quail, turkey, goose, swan
>wild turkey fgt
wild boar
>inb4 Obelix
and horse.
>>
beef
>>
File: sea_monkeys1.jpg (87 KB, 434x348) Image search: [Google]
sea_monkeys1.jpg
87 KB, 434x348
>>7124969
Sea-monkeys
It's a bowl full of happiness.
>>
>>7125048
>tfw I'm still waiting for mine arrive
sooon
>>
>>7125051
Santa told me that they'll be in your Christmas stocking.
>>
Elk, alligator, moose, bison.... Fuck. That's about it I think. I've had some other random stuff like mahi mahi, tons of venison, quail, dove, etc. But those aren't really exotic. Might be time for me to go to the farmer's market and buy some random, exotic stuff.
>>
>>7124969
I tried rattlesnake at an archaeology convention once. The guy actually went out, caught it, butchered it, and cooked it in clay pots right there. Honestly, not bad. Sounds cliche but tasted just like chicken, only extremely lean, and somewhat chewy. Would eat again.
>>
>>7124969

I had crocodile once. Reptile meat is weird, it's got the texture of fish but the taste/smell of poultry.
>>
Horse, raindeer and moose.
>>
>>7124969
Shark, moose, and wild pheasant. I need to eat more animals.
>>
i ate a deer once.
>>
I've hunted and eaten the most dangerous game: squirrel
>>
>>7124969
Snake, iguana, crocodile, turtle, moose, elk, bison, boar, etc shit you can easily hunt. I wouldn't call them exotic, just unconventional, especially to the average american.

I will say that emu is probably my favorite exotic meat that I can buy with relative ease. I had pufferfish in Japan and was not impressed, especially for the price and relatively dangerous implications associated with it. Horse is really fucking good, but virtually impossible to get in the US and I don't give a fuck if people object; they are not some majestic creature.
>>
>>7125212
>they are not some majestic creature.
Sure they are. Doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them. I would eat a unicorn if I found one.
>>
A pub near me serves zebra and squirrels
>>
>>7124969
Alligator
Turtle
Rattlesnake
Venison
Wild turkey
Sturgeon
Rabbit
Moreton Bay Bugs
Eel
Cuttlefish
Camel
Wild boar
Goat
Ostrich
>>
>>7125248

>Sturgeon
>Rabbit

>Eel
>Cuttlefish

>Goat
>Ostrich

you can get all these in the supermarket bub. Not exactly exotic
>>
>>7125256
Maybe they are exotic where he lives.
>>
this is the concept for a restaurant I'm putting together
calling it Matterhorn, and will be serving what I am calling "pioneer cuisine", styled like an old adventure club hunting lodge serving exclusively game and exotic animals unique to certain regions with wild vegetables and things like that. Not historically accurate to any region, but something people who live off the land could believably put together and upscaled to make it a little cheffy.

my big issue is actually getting wild game suppliers. There are a lot of shit laws stopping restaurants from buying directly from hunters which sorta kills my vision a bit. Like someone can't shoot a bear by chance while out hunting, call me up to see if I want some, and then I put bear on the menu as a special. Can't sell it commercially if it wasn't harvested commercially.

however for the integrity of the concept, I am probably going to break this law fairly frequently
>>
>>7125219
its technically a gastro pub then
>>
>>7125256
>>7125260
I have no idea what people on this board would find exotic. I was accused of being a poseur here yesterday for not liking tater tots and nacho cheese.
>>
>>7125215
Why do people think horses are so fucking wonderful? They're the assholes of domesticated animals, temperamental and expensive as fuck to maintain. Seriously, I've had pigs with more personality than every horse I've ever met.

>>7125248
>Moreton Bay Bugs
I have never in my life heard of this. Google just says it's kind of like a lobster. Care to describe it?

>>7125256
Where I live I could find those things, but I'd have to go to a specialty grocery store and It would be an hour and half event. I wouldn't call them exotic, but generally inaccessible.

>>7125277
The problem with using hunted game is that A. you can really only serve things that are in season unless you want to pay a huge fine and or go to jail and B. a lot of hunted game is generally not desirable. I like your approach, but it sounds impractical.
>>
>>7125310
I'm not going to go 100% hunted because its easy enough to find commercial elk, bison, gator, kangaroo, even lion. and then of course hunted things during hunting season.
bears specifically are only even palatable in the spring time because of how much fat they have, and it picks up what the eat obviously.
spring, lots of vegetation and berries
by fall
rotting fish and garbage scavenged out of town
>>
>>7125310
>Moreton Bay Bugs
Imagine a weird shaped lobster that's all tail and tastes like a cross between lobster and crab. Fucking delicious. Australia has some crazy shit. Good oysters, too.
>>
>>7124969
I deep fried a swan for thanksgiving
>>
Fried bat on a stick a few weeks ago.

Been trying to get my hands on some hippo meat for like 8 months now too. Will report when I finally do.
>>
Elk, yak, gator(not that exotic)
>>
Thai chicks
>>
>>7125386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8
>>
File: Al_Bundy-Thumbs_Up-OK.gif (966 KB, 350x261) Image search: [Google]
Al_Bundy-Thumbs_Up-OK.gif
966 KB, 350x261
>>7125469
>>
>>7124969
Have had some wild boar and ostrich, both were OK. I wouldn't buy the boar again cause it was fairly expensive and I'm not sure what a great way to cook it is.

I've wanted to try rattlesnake but it's expensive as fucking hell for what it is.
>>
>>7125467
>Thai ladyboys

ftfy
>>
-Wild boar, deer, duck etc.
-frogs, snails etc.
-Kangaroo
-crickets, mealworms

I also eat liver, hearts, intestine soup and chicken feet on a more regular basis but that's because I'm eastern euro
>>
>>7125675
>Thai ladyboys
Fascinating creatures, ladyboys. Looks like a lady but really its a man. I don't find them attractive, its just confusing.
>>
>>7126234
I want to bang one but I am afraid to get aids
>>
>>7124969
Boar, Elk, Kangaroo, Alligator, Lime Ants, Rattlesnake.
>>
>>7124969
buffalo, pheasant

duck, but thats only because its rare to buy around me. i had to hunt it, as well as the pheasant. buffalo i have had in the west
>>
>>7126237
you could always grow your own personal one, i'm sure they have human trafficking there
>>
>>7126247

>lime ants

Aussie detected, this is more Aus than the kangaroo
>>
>>7124969
sea turtle egg, softboiled, was almost like a jel, bite through the leathery shell and suck out the yolk.

cooked by placing in boiled water (bring to boil then take off heat, place eggs in, wait to more or less cool down to a touchable temp)
lime juice and chili juice/chillies in the water while boiling

bunch of the african beasts while on safari out htere, ostrich, those little straight horned deer things that allways get killed in nature chanel etc...
>>
>>7124969
>Elk
>Wild boar
>Brown bear
And the boar was in a can so not much to gloat with, sadly.
>>
>>7125215
Horses are actually really dumb animals. Your average cat or pigeon has more in the way of majesty.
>>
>>7126347
Humorously, it's solely because I visited Australia for about half a month in the 9th grade. I'm actually from the US.
>>
>>7124969
As i live in Norway, these first ones are not considered exotic where i am from.
Different types of whale, seal, elk, boar, venison.
Ostrich: I once had Ostrichkebab, i swear to fucking God, its the best handfood i have ever tasted.
>>
dog, cat, whale, dolphin, elephant, zebra, rat, water buffalo, giraffe, fugu, panda, camel, tiger, lion, monkey, and angler fish
>>
Smoked bear. It was disgusting. Slimy.
>>
Buffalo. It's like beef but way fucking better imo.
>>
File: ffghsshu.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
ffghsshu.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
I regularly eat squirrel. Why are people afraid of it?
>>
>>7126347
You aussie fags have nothing on bullet ants.
>>
>>7127790
>Why are people afraid of it?

Are they?
>>
>>7127790
It's so much afraid as being around them in NYC, they're all over the place and eat real shit. I don't want to eat them anymore then I'd want to eat sewer or subway rats.
>>
>>7127066
Yup.
>>
File: atlantic-moonfish.jpg (13 KB, 384x268) Image search: [Google]
atlantic-moonfish.jpg
13 KB, 384x268
>>7127790
because most people are scared of what they cant buy in a supermarket because its foreign to them (and even so most wont even eat organ meats)
>>
Central Park at dusk, the rats come out in force like clinton's and obamas.
>>
>>7125048
>>7125051
That's alotta brine shrimp.
>>
>>7124969
Gator meat
Possum
Racoon
Squirrel
>>
>>7128070
nooooooo, they're sea-monkeys!
>>
>>7127790
>Why are people afraid of it
>eating an animal that drinks water contaminated with antifreeze and all kinds of shit and anything else it can find
>>
>>7128070
sea-monkeys love to laugh and play!
>>
>>7128079
> they be ignorant, they don't understand sea-monkeys
>>
Thunderstruck by Steve'n'Seagulls (LIVE) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
>>
I live in rural Montana where there are a lot of buffalo farms. Since the population isn't so endangered anymore it's easy to get bison meat pretty much anywhere. Buffalo burgers be tastier than beef and are leaner and more nutritious
>>
>>7128055
>most people are scared of what they cant buy in a supermarket
I don't know if that's most people. But some folks are so fucking squeamish about meat I don't know why they eat it in the first place. I know people who won't eat any meat on the bone because they can't bear to be reminded that it comes from an animal. But they still eat meat everyday. Go figure.
>>
>>7128132
Some people have made a lot of money off others lack of knowledge.
That's the American way and fuck niggers.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS by STEVE´N´SEAGULLS (LIVE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFb_aOn6rc
>>
I've had all the standard 'exotic' fare like buffalo, elk, alligator, etc, but I'd say the most truly exotic animal I've eaten is rat.

I had it on vacation in south east Asia and ate it at a homestead in Vietnam. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. It was skinned, gutted, flayed, and cooked bone in. It looked and tasted very similar to quail. If it were socially acceptable to eat eat in America I would definitely do it again.
>>
>>7124969
Venison
Goat (not that exotic, but uncommon here in the States)
Muskellunge
>>
alligator pizza

basically tastes/looks like pork
>>
File: 1448739762569.jpg (138 KB, 650x956) Image search: [Google]
1448739762569.jpg
138 KB, 650x956
>Alligator
>Several kinds of snake
>Moose, Elk, Bison
>Kangaroo
>Shark
>Duck
>Dog
>Horse
>Board
>Sea Turtle
>Barracuda

And loads of bugs.
>>
>>7128529
where u get dog>?
>>
>>7124991
>>7124991
How was swan, Anon? I've been wanting to try it for years now, but since it's my country's national bird we're not allowed to shoot them :(

Personally, I have had:
baleen whale
nile crocodile
bison
goose
duck
moose
reindeer
wild boar
zebra
shark
pheasant
quail
dove
human
red stag
kangaroo
rabbit
hare
lobster
oyster
>>
I'm vegan.
>>
>>7124969
Horse. Preserved squid.
>tfw you'll never taste horse again.
It was sooooo good.
>>
File: 1267190850194.jpg (12 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
1267190850194.jpg
12 KB, 250x248
>>7129624
>>
Llama
Vicuña
Alpaca
Guinea pig
Líquid frog
Cóndor
>>
>>7129624
Never heard of that animal before.
>>
deer
>>
>>7127790
they fear what they don't understand
>>
possum, was fucking disgusting
ostrich is rare here and it was nice
silkworm pupae, gross

believe me or not I don't care and I'm too paranoid to explain how but I have eaten human meat before, a bit of the cooked meat around half a pack of cards thick and the same size, taken from the thigh of a female

the taste is nothing to go nuts about but there is something so weird about it the taste is far from your mind. like "this is actually part of a human lady, who once lived with goals and dreams and experience of her own, relationships likes dislikes, and now I am consuming her into my stomach"

probably will not repeat, I risked a lot but I don't regret it. no I didn't kill her.
>>
>>7129792
How and where did you find yourself in a situation that you could eat human meat?
>>
Puffer fish, horse, koi

Kangaroo and croc too but i dont consider them exotic.
>>
>>7129806
Browsing Craigslist
>>
>>7128045
>>7128079
That one in my hand was killed in my yard which used to be a pecan orchard. There are also sugarcane fields next to my house so they fatten up on pecans and sugar. I guess they might taste shittier in urban areas where they eat garbage
>>
>>7128055
I never got the fear of organ meats.
Whats so bad about them
>>
>>7129839
Organ meats go bad faster and require some technique.

If you fuck up a cheap, slightly not too fresh boneless chicken breast from an old bird the worst thing is it doesn't taste like anything and it'd kinda dry.

If you fuck up a cheap, slightly not too fresh beef liver from an old cow, it's pretty fucking miserable to eat. Smell, texture, and taste are all punishment for the soul.

There is a reason people go for calves this and baby that, when it comes to organ meat. And sperg about preparation.
>>
>>7128584
Take Exit 5 at Moran Station on Seoul Subway Line 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moran_Station
>>
Yak and alligator. It's not too unusual here, but I also have a freezer full of elk.
>>
Nothing too crazy, but duck heart. It was delicious and you should really eat poultry heart given the opportunity. It's a richer meat.
>>
alligator, grasshopper, rattlesnake, ant eggs, jellyfish, pig face, emu, ostrich, frog, pigeon, probably some other shit i can't remember
>>
>>7130358
once upon a time I bought chicken livers at the grocery store, but to my surprise when I opened it up I had chicken hearts which had been mislabeled.

oh well, not a big deal, never used hearts before but I figure I'll just throw them in a pan with some bacon and onion and call it a day.

hearts are done, pop one in my mouth and as I bit down hot oil which had accumulated in the cavity came squirting out the artery, all over the inside of my mouth and thoroughly fucked my shit up
>>
>>7124969
Black Bear
Moose
Elk
Deer
Caribou
Rabbit
Squirrel
Rattlesnake
Frogs
Turtles
Squid
Octopus
Clams
Prawns
Shark
Halibut
Salmon
Trout
Lingcod
Yellow Eye
Bass
Cat Fish

Pheasant
Goose
Duck
Grouse
Ptarmigan
Quail
Doves
Wild Turkey

sure I'm forgetting a lot, grew up in the Rockies and Alaska.
>>
Not sure if it counts in this thread, but I ate live huhu grubs while out camping with a fairly feral friend of mine. Not all that bad once they stop wriggling , no wonder my dog digs them up - good source of protein
>>
>>7130673
75% of what's in that list isn't even close to exotic.
>>
>>7125205
Kek
>>
Shark, ostrich, elephant .

Shark burgers are fuckinh delicious
>>
>>7124969
Me and my friends have a competition called Noah's Ark. Every Christmas whoever can prove they've eaten the largest variety of animals in the previous year wins a case of beer.

Besides common meat or fish like beef, pork, chicken, goat, salmon, tilapia, mutton, or turkey.

I've eaten:
Alpaca, Llama, Bison, Buffalo, Alligator, Turtle, Frog, Snake, Caribou, Elk, Moose, Venison, Horse, Goose, Duck, Boar, Rabbit, Hare, Squab, Swan, Squirrel, Black Bear, Ground Hog, Opossum, Mantis Shrimp, Shark(Iceland), Skate(Jamaica), Whale(japan), Sturgeon, Swordfish, Blue fin Tuna(Japan), Kangaroo, Ostrich, Eel, Pike, Crappy, Snails, and probably more that I'm forgetting right now.

The game has spiraled out of control. Like my buddies will spend several grand on hunting trips just to one up each other.
>>
>>7124969
>people have forgotten the "wild" part and only focus on "exotic"

I have to travel to a lot of remote places for work. I learned pretty early on that to avoid offense you eat and drink whatever the people you're meeting with offer you.

Couple this with growing up in a family obsessed with hunting (with some relatives working with rednecks who pay them in meat) and I've got a nice long list.

Moose
Bear
Antelope
Turtle
Rattlesnake
Caribou
Elk
Venison
Rabbit
Dove
Quail
Turkey
Duck
Goose
Feral hog
Horse (Mongolia--so much goddamn horse)
Alligator
Bison
Crocodile
Shark
Squirrel
Emu
Ostrich
Ostrich egg
Bass
Catfish
Piranha
Some insane number of other tropical fish
Goat
Kangaroo
Fried grubs (no idea what kind--they were the size of my thumbs and terrible)
Fried grasshoppers
Frogs
Whale
3 or 4 kinds of ants (the best tasted like Lemonheads)
Alpaca
Guinea Pig
Paca
Cat
Various lobsters, crabs, shellfish, and octopi
Salmon
A ton of other cold-water fish
The utterly delicious giant blue eggs of some Amazon jungle bird
Several kinds of Amazon jungle birds, ranging in size from turkey to tiny
Elephant
Peacock
A drink that mixed fresh milk with cow blood
Turtle eggs
>>
tet
>>
I had beef once. My whole village was overjoyed. I live in Africa. Oogley boogley
>>
horse, ostrich
>>
yer mum
>>
>>7129823
Sugarcane fields? Are you in Hawaii?
>>
snails
chicken hearts
weird sea creatures
eels
pussy
weird frozen stuff
soylent green wafers
random shit at a summer camp
fuck all if I can remember it all
>>
I ate potato chips fried in human fat. They weren't very good.
>>
File: kaulakiekot.jpg (89 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
kaulakiekot.jpg
89 KB, 640x960
The animal ain't very exotic, but the cut is - I just stewed some reindeer cervical discs today.
>>
Deer, elk, pheasant, bear, rattlesnake, turtle, iguana, alligator, kangaroo, buffalo (who are we kidding that's not even exotic).
The only two I didn't like were bear (too dark, oily, and strong) and rattlesnake (too damn stringy, decent flavor though).
>>
Had waterbugs, dog, cat and silkworms in China
>>
File: 1439753530465.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1439753530465.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>7129612
>human
>>
File: 1444267043891.jpg (73 KB, 490x487) Image search: [Google]
1444267043891.jpg
73 KB, 490x487
>>7129624
>I'm vegan.

Boy are you missing out.
>>
>>7129612
i am so curious to try human but idfk does it really taste like beef?
>>
>>7134925
I've heard it tastes like a cross between pork and veal.
>>
>>7134925
>>7134933

Not that guy but human meat is actually pretty good.

It has a meaty gamey flavor, kind of like lamb.
>>
>>7134933
>>7134953
How....why...
>>
>>7128070
For you
>>
File: Untitled.png (583 KB, 604x526) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
583 KB, 604x526
>>7125310
>>
I guess moose and reindeer is exotic globally
>>
>>7134766
Louisiana
>>
>>7134784
what the fuck
>>
I ate venison sausage.I was irrationally grossed out by it. It tasted like beef jerky. Maybe I was grossed out because it has to be made with beef soot. Still really don't understand why I was so irked.
>>
Zebra and Kangaroo

Kangaroo was bland but Zebra was pretty tasty
>>
>>7124969
Beluga whale pussy... slice thinly and eaten raw...whilst out of the country of course.
>>
>>7125277
Thanks for the suggestion, anon. I think I'll start the paperwork to open this very join right now.
>>
Venison
Salmon roe
whitefish roe
wild boar
horse
buffalo
moose
elk
crawfish
rattlesnake
goose

>>7128127

What's bullshit is that they still find it in themselves to charge so much for it. There's a place where they harvest bison meat about thirty miles from where I live and they still have the audacity to charge around $35 for a sirloin with sides at a nearby restaurant. It was cheaper when I had it in Alaska, for fucks sake. No wonder that place is going under.
>>
Kangaroo, it is pretty exotic in Europe
>>
Bull
Bear
Alligator
Elk
Buffalo
Antelope
Rabbit
Yak

German place has a game month every Feb.
>>
Emu, ostrich, elk, deer, black bear
>>
>>7124969
there's a store in dahlonega, GA that sells all kinds of jerky and trail mix because it's at the start at the appalachian trail. they have the normal stuff: beef, elk, turkey, etc.

the oddest things they have are ostrich, snake, and fish (I believe salmon, but I can't remember) jerkey. i know this isn't exotic everywhere in the world, but i would say those are fairly exotic as far as american jerky goes.
>>
>>7129612
>human

Try not to cut yourself on that edge
>>
>>7129792
5edgy6me
>>
>>7131219
it is if you don't live in North America, and coast city cucKs can't get any of that meat.
>>
had gator jerky once
>>
Alligator, nutria, turtle, buffalo, shark, crawfish (not that exotic where I live), and stingray.
>>
Donkey into a sort of a jerky.
>>
>>7124969
frog, which i doubt is very exotic

just tastes like chicken, but I think actually a bit better if I remember right

>tfw i'm one of the only people ITT to say frog

wat
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.