[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Cookers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: rice.jpg (134 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
134 KB, 1500x1500
what does /ck/ recommend in way of rice cookers? I'm thinking about purchasing pic related.
>>
File: 01_04s.jpg (11 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
01_04s.jpg
11 KB, 330x330
Tiger does everything Zojirushi does for less money.
>>
>>7119509
OP here, especially paranoid about nonstick coating flaking away
>>
File: caldero.jpg (202 KB, 2067x2067) Image search: [Google]
caldero.jpg
202 KB, 2067x2067
This is a good one.
>>
Just bought one of these little guys today. Was only $15 at Bed Bath and Beyond.
>>
>>7119548
Don't be
>>
>>7119778
>>7119548
I actually had a cheap rice cooker do this, don't be so quick to dismiss

It was the second to last rice cooker I had, after I went increasingly cheap on a series of rice cookers that were getting wrecked by roommates

I had no more rice cookers after that last one, until I murdered the roommates and chopped up their dead bodies and buried them at sea (actually this part was a fantasy obviously, but I should have done it for real because the fuckers were asking for it, besides being terrible human beings all around and a disgrace to the human race)

And then after becoming roommate-free, I got a zoji which I've had for like 6 years now and it's good as new after daily use
>>
>>7119548
Yeah I burned a stew in a rice cooker (jammed the switch to the "cook" position) and it flaked the nonstick off. It still works now but I've def ingested my fair share of plastic by this point. Just take good care of it and it wont do that.
>>
>>7119763
I bought the same one. they work great for a while but mine started to burn the rice a bit. i really have to watch it while its cooking.
>>
>>7119509
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-rice-cooker/
>>
>>7119879
I figured there was a reason it was only $15
>>
>>7119509
I don't really like unitaskers
how is this any better than a pan with a lid?
Have none of you ever cooked rice before?
Nobody I know has ever used a single-purpose appliance for this purpose.
>>
>>7119985
still guaranteed replies, but you should add "I'm genuinely curious" next time
>>
>>7119509
Is there a way to steam things in this style of rice cooker?
>>
>>7119509
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029274LK
Get this baby and be set for life.
Fuck Zojirushi!
>>
>>7119985
Set it and forget it convenience.

Set it before you go to work, get back and have hot food ready.
>>
Americas test kitchen winner is like 30 bux
>>
File: morerice.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
morerice.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>7119509
OP again

so taking a closer look at the Zojirushi cookers, only the top models are made in Japan while all the others are made in China. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the ones made in China? Is the Japan pedigree worth getting a high-end model?

my plan is to get this low end model (pic related) for now, and then pick up a higher end Japanese made one after I graduate college... how does this sound?
>>
>>7119985
Many places (student acommodation especially) onlt has 1-2 hob rings, which you don't want to waste cooking rice on
>>
>>7119985
also the mid- to high-end models can do more than rice (oatmeal, steaming vegetables, etc).
>>
>>7120664
I have both Chinese and Japanese Zojirushi rice cooker (and other appliances, honestly). I has zero problems with either of them. My Chinese made Zoji is my oldest one. Been cooking for 6 years, still working like it did on day one.
>>
Bought a 50quid(80$) chinese brand one, works perfectly.

Weabshit jap cookers are overpriced shit catered to weaboos.
>>
Get an Aroma latching lid cooker if you dont care about qaulity. You can find them for $39..

If you are just some dude in a dorm that wants to cook alot of rice or slow cook things or steam things.. these are your best bet.

Look for the ones with the low/high slow cooker function.
>>
Any difference between Asian and "western" brands? Like Tefal or OBH Nordica.

Do you use different programs when you cook different types of rice like jasmin, basmati or brown rice?

What if the cooker only has one button?
>>
>>7121529
I've never even seen those brands, so I couldn't tell you.

I had a black and decker once, it wasn't terrible for a thermocouple rice cooker. But I've never seen a western brand programmable rice cooker, or anything where the bowl was as strong and durable as my zoji.

I actually like my brown rice a little crunchy, so I never soak my brown rice, nor do I use the special brown rice setting. By "brown rice" I include stuff like pic related, which has gotten much more popular among asians (at least better educated asians) in recent years.
>>
>>7121546
So how it is cooked depends on how much water you add and not a preset program?

Also my mother has a cheap ~6 years old rice cooker that she only used few time. Should take that one or invest some actually money to get a good rice cooker? pic relate, maybe not that brand but it looks like that.
>>
>>7121707
>So how it is cooked depends on how much water you add and not a preset program?
Essentially, yes
>hould take that one or invest some actually money to get a good rice cooker?
Depends on how much rice you eat, and how picky you are, and how much of a sperg you are about kitchen gear. I grew up with one of thermocouple kinds, mostly I guess because my mom mostly hung out with white people in this country and wasn't really aware of rice cooker fashion among other asians. It did the job. I got the zoji with different programs because I like to overthink everything I buy and it looked like a reasonable investment. Also I have a mild case of gearfaggotry. It was a little over $100, pretty cheap compared to my hundreds spent on knives or my $400 french enameled cast iron.
>>
>>7121724
I think I am gonna get my mother's old rice cooker and try it out before I invest in anything.

> thermocouple rice cooker
It that a special type of cooker?
>>
>>7121861
It's the kind you posted. It's got three settings - on, warm, and off (off usually means unplugged)

It switches from on to warm when the water boils off and the temperature starts to exceed the prescribed limit. As opposed to a programmable kind that can modulate the temperature with sensors and a little computer inside.
>>
>>7119671

That's the same kind I use.

How fucking hard is cooking rice that you need to buy a special snowflake designated "rice cooker"?
>>
rice is so nasty. bake homemade bread, slice it up, and freeze it. Much better for you than rice.
>>
>>7121866
Can I cook other things in it too?
>>
>>7121916
No, if you put anything other than rice in it, you will die
>>
>>7121916
It works best with things that absorb water and are done when all the water is gone. Other things that only need the temperature of boiling water will also work.
>>
>>7121942
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>7121904
you're very much wrong and very likely extremely overweight
>>
>>7121957
rice - causes constipation, has arsenic, bland texture and flavor.

white/wheat mix bread - tasty, high in fiber, nutritious. can be made soft, chewy, or have a crunchy crust with soft inside. Can put seeds and other things in it to enhance flavor.

The choice is clear. I'm not fat either.
>>
>>7122035
even "whole wheat" bread has trivial amounts of fiber compared to actual vegetables

stop being fat
>>
>>7122042
That's why you add sawdust.
>>
>>7119509
I recommend a japanese brand
>>
Indianfag here:

Definitely depends on what you want to do with the rice cooker really. I have several (including one 30 cup model), and honestly the one I use the most is just basic on and off 5 cup thing (that I got for about AU$20).

That can make everything from rice, quinoa and bulgur with some crispy burnt bits but it's not so bad.

If you do want it perfect (and don't want to use a pot on the stove) then a model with temp/time controls might be better but those are a ittle more pricey.

In short: basic models do everything well but when you get into more advanced dishes than maybe it's time to upgrade.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.