[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of this dinner, /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: iPhoneUpload_e1uhwvtru5.jpg (413 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
iPhoneUpload_e1uhwvtru5.jpg
413 KB, 1600x1200
What do you think of this dinner, /ck/?
>>
I don't get it. Where is the dinner?
>>
>>7117116
sauce looks too watery, thought it's just a picture.
>>
>>7117116
>frozen tortellini with shitty jarred sauce, no parmesan or romano on top

Cheap and boring/10
>>
>>7117128
How do you know the sauce is from a jar?
>>
>>7117132
Because it looks cheap and shitty.
>>
File: Tomato-Sauce-Recipes.jpg (43 KB, 540x408) Image search: [Google]
Tomato-Sauce-Recipes.jpg
43 KB, 540x408
>>7117137
It looks like pasta sauce.
>>
I'll never understand why people don't cook their pasta with the sauce briefly. You can still pour all the extra sauce you want on top, but it make a big difference compared to naked pasta
>>
>>7117161
Americans
>>
>>7117161
You don't have to cook with the sauce, you can just not be a lazy fuck and toss the pasta with the sauce. Also you should toss the pasta with oil/butter before tossing with sauce anyways, so no to plain paste in the plate.
>>
>>7117177
If you coat the pasta with oil before mixing with sauce, all the sauce will slide off.
>>
>>7117177
everything about you post is wrong
>>
>>7117178
Do you dare defy dubs? Also no, it won't. Olive oil is not magic zero friction lubricant, if it was, cars wouldn't need regular oil changes. Are you also going to say tossing salad leaves with vinaigrette first makes salt slide off? Or heavens forbid, do you salt your salad first?
>>
>>7117188
I season the vinaigrette, but that's not important. The pasta is suppose to soak in the sauce and if it's covered in oil already it doesn't work as well.
>>
>>7117180
Marcella Hazan, author of the beloved Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking disagree with you my friend. Give it a try first, then argue later. If you wish to cook with the sauce you can do that as long as you are careful about not overcooking the paste, point is, you don't have to. You might not want to for certain sauces as well. I sure don't want to fry my pasta in sage butter.
>>
File: gremlin.gif (800 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
gremlin.gif
800 KB, 300x167
>you should do things the way i like things to be done even though i'll never eat at your house
>>
>>7117188
Just stop. Salt isn't the same thing. Obviously oil isn't impenetrable, but it's an unnecessary hindrance to the marriage of pasta and sauce.
>American in charge of doing anything correctly
>>
>>7117194
Just fucking try it, with fresh pasta if you can. If you don't like it don't do it again. Just don't go around with hand-waving explanations like oil will scare sauce away.
>>
File: american fag.jpg (781 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
american fag.jpg
781 KB, 2560x1600
>>7117116

>shitty dry tortellini
>jarred sauce
>tortellini not even mixed with the sauce
>polystyrene plates

That's some fine rootin' tootin' authentic Italian spafgetti noodle you got there pardner, that's what that there freedums all about!
>>
>>7117200
>with fresh pasta if you can

;)
>>
>>7117193
>Marcella Hazan
She didn't start cooking until she moved to NY and it shows. I'll trust the real Italians m8
>>
>>7117200
not even that guy but i mix my pasta with the sauce in a pot when i'm using plain pasta but with stuffed pasta like tortellini and ravioli i like to keep it seperate so i can eat some pasta without sauce.

meh. everyone has their preferences so there's no right or wrong.
>>
>>7117116
looks delish!
>>
>>7117196
Does chopped parsley slide off then? Or I don't know, if you add more vinaigrette does it all slide off or keep coating the leaves until they are saturated and gross? I don't care how you guys eat your pasta but I will not take hand-waving explanations.
>>
>>7117221
Parsley is not a sauce you grotesquely dumb American cunt. The oil creates a membrane over the pasta which stops the sauce sticking. That's why people use oil to make things slide smooth.

You
fat
fuck
American
CUNT
>>
>>7117240
Please understand what you are trying to explain yourself first. I know things go slidey slidey when they are oiled. Everyone knows that. It's not relevant to the topic at hand. Heck, if oil is so slidey slidey, why does it stick to the pasta in the first place? Is it only slidey slidey on one surface? Is it the pasta fairy? Does oiling pasta upset the Europoor pasta god so it makes your sauce slide off? Or is it just your imagination because you are clearly out of your depth. Also the word cunt doesn't offend me. Please don't forget your fedora.
>>
>>7117267
Again, pasta isn't a sauce.
>>
>>7117285
>pasta isn't a sauce
[citation needed]
>>
>>7117116
>wifey material
>YOLO marry meh!!!
>>
>>7117285
Again, why is pasta different than sauce? Is it magic? Is it pasta fairy? Did ancient people of pasta and sauce fought a great battle and got separated from each other? I believe I am presenting my reasoning very clearly, I don't know why people are having such a hard time comprehending it. Can you please explain this question I have presented above to yourself. "If you add more vinaigrette to already coated salad leaves, does it all slide off or keep coating the leaves until they are saturated and gross?" You don't have to admit your shortcoming publicly. That is crucial to you understanding of the topic at hand. I am trying to fucking teach you something. Your free public education have clearly failed you. On any other occasion, you wouldn't be able to afford this lecture.
>>
>>7117293
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>7117314
Why are you making false comparisons? Oil acts as a lubricant between the solid pasta and a mostly water based sauce, causes a seperation of layers.
>>
>>7117314
Also why do you want to have your pasta to soak extra moisture and get soggy and gross? Do you really believe that water carries the flavour of the sauce? If you do, that would explain a lot. Because the topic at hand requires high school level physics and basic cooking knowledge. I'm starting to suspect my audience has neither.
>>
>>7117322
Intentionally so people start giving decentish answers instead of calling me American. This is a start, but doesn't quite cut the cake. Fluid dynamics is very hard, you can't just say something like oil will push sauce away and hope it's true. I know for a fact from empirical evidence that it does not push the sauce away. Anyway, I'm bored so I wont continue answering in this thread, I thought this would be fun but it's more like clubbing a baby seal.

As a starter of an answer for anyone interested, water doesn't do anything in the sauce other than diluting it. You don't want your pasta soaking water and getting soggy so you oil your pasta to keep water away. What is referred as "flavour" is mostly acids and carried by fats, which will be liquid at pasta eating temperatures. Liquid fats will stick to oil, because of a fuck ton of molecular forces, chiefly surface tension. Will there be a bizzare acid/fat combination or a few sauces that makes this false? Possibly. Does it matter? Not really. If you want to be able to really understand whats going on, please consider a PhD and do research on cooking techniques so I can read your work and thank you.
>>
>>7117206
I said fresh pasta because it will get soggy quicker than processed pasta. Also, no one managed to answer this, "If you add more vinaigrette to already coated salad leaves, does it all slide off or keep coating the leaves until they are saturated and gross?", the answer is the molecular forces mentioned above. Please know your places in this world and keep in mind that you are playing with forces you don't understand mostly through make believe information.
>>
The sauce looks like ass but I like tortellini too much not to eat that.
>>
>>7117116
I've been there. would not go back
>>
File: habbening.jpg (81 KB, 1198x484) Image search: [Google]
habbening.jpg
81 KB, 1198x484
>polystyrene plates
>>
If somebody served me pasta without mixing the sauce in the pan and letting it cook/sit for 5 mins before serving i'd probably flip the table, spit in their eye and walk out.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
OP here. Here's a sandwich from the same place.
>>
>>7117870

What the fuck IS that?
>>
>>7117938
diced meat, peppers and molten mozzarela?
>>
>>7117964
>>7117870
>>7117938
microwaved cheese/10
>>
>>7117560

Where is "there"?
>>
you dun fucked it up
>>
>>7117580
oh look, one of these retarted eco faggots that thinks the hottest year on record being 0.69 OF ONE DEGREE C hotter than the 20th Century average is something to panic over, jesus
>>
>>7118106
someone doesn't understand the world too well, rip you
i hope you are never in a position of power
>>
when you guys do pasta + sauce don't you put the pasta on the plate then heat the sauce? i cook the pasta and then drain then put it back into the pan and mix in the sauce and heat it until it's ready then it goes onto the plate and i put cheese on it MY WAY'S BETTER
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.