[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Greek food so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: Greek-dish-cover1.jpg (3 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
Greek-dish-cover1.jpg
3 MB, 4928x3264
I just wish they wouldn't ruin everything with feta cheese.
>>
>>
Feta is what makes it, bruh
>>
>>7115345
greek food is pretty GOAT...just wish it wasnt $9 for a med/greek salad w/grilled chix kabob....
>>
>>7115345
Not a big fan of feta either but I can get past it. There's a really good greek restaurant near me. I only go there a couple times a year though so as not to get tired of it.
>>
>>7115345
Feta is the GOAT cheese breh
>>
File: Jose_Frappa_-_Phryne.jpg (95 KB, 758x519) Image search: [Google]
Jose_Frappa_-_Phryne.jpg
95 KB, 758x519
Greek prostitutes are literally cheaper than a sandwich these days

I really need to take some time off work and visit Greece for some kebab, some Assyrtiko, and some desperate 20 year old girl who will exchange dignity for food.
>>
File: 1315185107699.jpg (4 KB, 250x106) Image search: [Google]
1315185107699.jpg
4 KB, 250x106
>>7115438
>Feta
>GOAT
>>
>>7115494
American detected
>>
>>7115496
Your American detector is broken.
>>
File: 1313691432729.jpg (12 KB, 328x367) Image search: [Google]
1313691432729.jpg
12 KB, 328x367
>>7115496
>Feta is a brined curd white cheese made in Greece from sheep's milk, or from a mixture of sheep and goat's milk.
>>
File: 1448343437943.jpg (105 KB, 790x1103) Image search: [Google]
1448343437943.jpg
105 KB, 790x1103
Because there is no budget.
>>
>>7115515
>>7115496
>>7115494
not the person being replied to, but GOAT on this site generally means Greatest Of All Time, not the animal. Lurk moar.
>>
>>7115345

Because it's simple. All simple ideas, with a few things added to make it taste good. Also none of it is slathered in cheese like the americans would do.
>>
File: 1314855151605.jpg (64 KB, 500x408) Image search: [Google]
1314855151605.jpg
64 KB, 500x408
>>7117005
>Lurk moar
>>
>>7115345
>not being greek
>not always having feta and olives in the fridge
>not eating lamb regularly

k.ek
>>
>>7115345

>I just wish they wouldn't ruin everything with feta cheese.

>>7117008

>Also none of it is slathered in cheese like the americans would do.

neither of you know anything about greek food
>>
>>7115345
Because it uses a combination of of thorough seasoning, grilling, and fatty, creamy, yogurt or olive oil based sauces. It's everything your body craves
>>
File: Moussaka-22[1].jpg (1 MB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
Moussaka-22[1].jpg
1 MB, 1600x899
I had some really good Moussaka from a Greek place in Portland recently.
>>
>>7117015

>currently living athens.
>>
>>7115345
Feta cheese is great.
So fuck you.
>>
Pastitsio is amazing nigguhs. Get some.

Best Greek dessert? I vote for galaktoboureko
>>
>>7115345
Greek food is so good for a variety of reasons. In ancient times the Greeks traded with everyone all over the Mediterranean in addition to being part of some major regional empires, so they picked up good ideas from everyone around them. They've been a wine drinking culture for a long time, and generally food designed to go with wine is good. Their location is good as well (mountains, coasts, semi-tropical climate) giving them access to great seafood, meat, dairy and vegetables. Also they have a religion that mandates fasting without meat or dairy for 40 days a year, so they've got vegetable dishes down. And lemons, pistachios, olives, honey and herbs grow there as well.

Then, unlike some Italian city states and parts of France they managed not to get too rich in the last few hundred years. So their food hasn't been uppity for a ling time - it's been a cuisine of home cooks, grandmothers and taverns for most of recent history. It's some grounded food that has influences going back thousands of years.

To me that's what makes it so good - the very fact that it's relatively simple food made from good ingredients that has deep roots. And a love a garlic doesn't hurt, either.
>>
Why is /ck/ so good?

I just wish they wouldn't ruin it with complaints about feta cheese.
>>
>>7117087
>Greece
>semi-tropical climate
>>
>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW that actually believe greek food isn't infinitely superior to italian

Isn't that embarrassing?
>>
>>7117875
>I've had both breadkebab and spagbol and I definitely breadkebab
>>
>>7117087
A bunch of pseudo-intellectual wanking until your last sentence.

Greek food is good because Greeks do not fear garlic.
>>
>>7117875
I'm an Italian citizen. Greek food is definitely GOAT. There is a lot of cultural crossover, though. My whole family eats loads of Mediterranean food in general.
>>
>>7117015
>neither of you know anything about greek food

What is it about Greek food that, whenever anyone mentions it, someone inevitably pops up saying "You don't know anything about greek food"

?
>>
>>7118013
Because Greeks are prideful to the point of foolish hubris.

Source - father is FOB from Greece.
>>
>>7118021
you don't know anything about FOB's
>>
>>7117692
Sub-tropical is what I meant. Long growing season.
>>7117932
>pseudo-intellectual wanking
You're free to see it that way. The way I see it history shapes food, and places with a long history coupled with a good climate tend to have awesome cuisines. Parts of China (Canton and Sichuan), India, SE Asia, France, Italy, Spain and the Levant all qualify. You've got bountiful ingredients, longstanding cooking traditions and interesting history to shape the cuisines. That will give the food lots of depth, because some of the dishes and ideas about which flavors go well together were worked out thousands of years ago.
>>
>mfw the greek restaurants in australia are mostly overpriced frozen foods reheated in a microwave
>rude as fuck
>>
>>7118065
The greeks in America have always run greasy spoon diners that are usually pretty good for breakfasts
>>
>>7118068
>The greeks in America have always run greasy spoon diners
and if you went to a good one (where the person doing most of the cooking still gave a shit) the Greek specials could be amazing. But these places are in serious decline in America. To compete with chain restaurants they had to cut costs hard, and the food suffered. When your gyro comes frozen in flat strips from Sysco it's not going to be that good. And when the kids/grandkids of the original owner grew up forced to work in the family business they might not have much passion for it.

I've seen a few of these places reinvent themselves as more upscale "Mediterranean wine bars", but success at that is dependent on their ability to attract a regular clientele.
>>
>>7118013

one of them complained that everything has cheese on it and one of them triumphantly declared that they don't put cheese on stuff. both are retarded.
>>
>>7117087
>generally food designed to go with wine is good
woah there
>>
Personally I like the ingredients a lot, also most of the seasonings. Though, the fact that I grew up with them obviously plays a role. What I don't like about greek cuisine is that the recipes and the preparations used, often do not make the most out of ingredients, when it comes to flavors and textures. I personally like french cuisine a lot in that aspect.
>t. greek
>>
>>7117026
>>7117008
>>7117932

OP, here are your reasons.
>>
>>7115345
It's not.
>>
>>7118234
If you look at Europe this holds up. Beer drinking places tend to have a handful of amazing dishes, but the overall cuisine is generally better in wine drinking places. You can find great food in Germany and the Netherlands, but it's much easier to find amazing stuff in Spain or Italy. I have no idea why this is, but having traveled across Europe and Scandinavia a few times and spent a month in Greece it really seems to be true. There's amazing food everywhere, but it's way easier to find in wine drinking countries.
>>
>>7118299
Just because Germany makes the best beer in the world, people often forget that they also make the best wine in the world.

How strange.
>>
>>7118114
You need to learn some reading comprehension son
>>
>>7118314
>Germany
I got into this with another Anon a few months ago. Yes, Germany is the world's 5th largest wine producer, and many of their wines are celebrated around the world (though a little out of fashion at the moment). And wine drinking is a big deal in the wine producing regions of the country, but those are a small part of it. The dominant culture when it comes to drinking in Germany is centered around beer.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.