[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Humble Carrot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: CARROTS.jpg (133 KB, 885x543) Image search: [Google]
CARROTS.jpg
133 KB, 885x543
Teach me how to love this vegetable. For the life of me I cannot enjoy them in anything but carrot cake. What is their secret?
>>
>>7115332
The secret is to stop being a fucking child, you fucking clown.
>>
>>7115332
I used to hate them as a child. Now I really like them, especially raw. Shredded, with a litlle vinegar and oil.
>>
How are you cooking them? I think they're best when done really hot, so they almost char and caramelise.
>>
>tell me how to like X

Fuck these threads.
>>
>>7115332
If you don't like it, don't fucking eat it. Damn, some of you kids are dumb.
>>
File: 1303917468020.png (13 KB, 446x361) Image search: [Google]
1303917468020.png
13 KB, 446x361
>>7115332
>For the life of me I cannot enjoy them in anything but carrot cake.

Boo fucking hoo
>>
>>7115332
i love baby carrots in beef stew
try whole carrots honey or garlic roasted
>>
Cut the tops and bottoms off the carrot.
Peel the carrot.
Place your carrots in a sauce pan with 50/50 butter and vegetable stock, until the carrots are submerged.
Add thyme, salt, pepper and a piece of star anise.
Simmer on an incredibly low heat until the carrots are cooked through.
Eat the carrots.
>>
File: Carrot_vs._Ass-rinkgl-d.jpg (8 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Carrot_vs._Ass-rinkgl-d.jpg
8 KB, 240x240
>>7115332
make a soup with carrots
http://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/traditional-greek-bean-soup-recipe-fasolada/

or just boil it then fry it in butter.

I used to hate carrots, but just like many vedgies I started eating them raw or combined with other vedgies.

You can also consume them with DIP.

Enjoy.
>>
>>7115375
OP here. Thanks for this. I've never peeled my carrots before. Perhaps what I don't like about their taste is in the peel.
>>
>>7115332
Carrots are an essential part of mirepoix. As you get better at cooking, you'll see their value. Especially if you get into french or creole cooking.
>>
Healthiest way to eat carrots, or literally any vegetable for that matter, is to lactoferment them.
>>
File: carrots.jpg (142 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
carrots.jpg
142 KB, 800x533
>>7115332
Try carrots from the farmers market, they usually taste less sour and are sweeter and juicier. I love the violet ones.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7115395
>Never peeled carrots
where are you from
Also don't cook carrots
>>
Julienne the little guido cunts, parboil them (depending how thin cut this should be quick), then crisp them up under the broiler with some rosemary, garlic and a drizzle of olive oil

trust me senpai
>>
>>7115519
>I can't get enough sugar
>SUGAR
>>
>>7115519
>they usually taste less sour
I've never in my life had a carrot I would describe as sour. Even shitty carrots aren't sour.
>>
>>7115332
Coocked carrot literally has no taste. You're just autistic, op.
>>
>>7115544
Must suck not having tastebuds
>>
Shredded carrot with penne, garlic paste, diced onion, minced meat and tex mex spices is pretty glorious. Just add the carrots at the end to heat them up a bit. For the fatasses add some culinary crem when adding spices to the meat.
>>
Honey carrots are best carrots.

> cut into thin carrot discs
> put in saucepan with a bit of butter and cook until they start getting soft and butter mostly gone
> add some honey and keep cooking until caramelised.

Never used exact amounts of anything or measured cooking times but w/e there's probably a recipe on the internet somewhere. But anyway I was a picky eater as a kid and hated carrots until I was introduced to honey carrots
>>
>>7115332
Try pickling them with daikon radishes. Pretty good addition to a sandwich.
>>
cut into semi-circles

brown em up with chopped celery and onions before putting in a stew

very sweet, very soft
>>
>>7115356
don't post on these threads lmao
>>
Try finding English language recipes for Hungarian rabbit in carrot-and-celeriac sauce (vadas házinyúl) or Hungarian carrot bisque (répafőzelék).

They're both pretty fucking good, IMO.

You can swap out the rabbit for chicken or turkey, if you'd prefer or, if you don't eat meat, you can also make mock carrot-and-celeriac sauce ('hamis vadas' swaps out the bone stock for vegetable broth) and eat it with potato dumplings (vadas krumpligombóccal).

I don't think there are many cultures who make carrot-centric dishes besides Hungary, amirite?
>>
File: 1386311770637.jpg (239 KB, 520x638) Image search: [Google]
1386311770637.jpg
239 KB, 520x638
Pulling a carrot out of the garden, giving it a quick wash, and then eating it raw is one of the greatest pleasures in life.
>>
At work we cook some that are thrown together with ginger and brown sugar and I think they're pretty bomb
>>
>>7115332

Casserole/stew/soup and you won't notice them beyond the colour.
>>
File: 1440192798971.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1440192798971.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>7116443
I suck at root vegetables, they become all stem and wobble about as seedlings and never root-up.

Teach me your ways
>>
>>7115332
I love carrots. I like to eat them

>raw
>cooked, but not to the point that the whole carrot is mushy.
>shredded in salads
>Mashed, with other ingredients, to make a pasta sauce
>Roasted
>Grilled
>in stews

I put carrots in pretty much everything I make. If it's a sauce, a soup, a stew, a stir fry, etc. Carrots and onions are the go to guys (sometimes celery).
>>
>>7115332
Roast those fuckers
Best carrots I've ever had was baby carrots sous vide with butter & sage then sautéed quickly to get some color on them
>>
>>7115539
I think he meant bitter
>>
>>7116542

Your soil sucks. Till it up with peat moss every year or build a raised bed.
>>
>>7115332
Okay, OP. Here's what you do. It's very simple.
>get some baby carrots OR cut peeled, large carrots into sticks
>melt butter in a large pan with a lid (enough butter to well cover the bottom of the pan) over low heat
>add carrots to pan, and cover
>cook over low heat for 1 hour, shaking the pan every 15 minutes or so, to move the carrots around, but DO NOT OPEN THE LID
>meanwhile, mince some scallions (just the green tops)
>Once the hour is up, open the lid and sprinkle the carrots with salt, pepper, and the minced scallions
>Now NOM those sweet, soft, succulent, caramelized fuckers.
>>
>>7115332
Use them in soups!
Use them in stocks!
Use them in mirepoixes!
Roast them with potatoes!
Cut them a la julienne and eat them!
Munch on them like a fucking rabbit!

The possibilities are endless.
>>
File: Crock_Pot_Roast_Beef_Recipe.jpg (371 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
Crock_Pot_Roast_Beef_Recipe.jpg
371 KB, 600x899
Cook a beef roast in a crock pot.

Throw celery, carrots, potatoes, what have you in that bitch with some beef stock. You can use the oven too if you're so inclined.

Or you could just go eat a dick instead of carrots since that seems to be the general consensus.
>>
Pickled carrots are goddamn amazing.
>>
>>7118908
Pickling is literally objectively worse than lactofermenting.
>>
>chop into half slices
>chop onions into medium sized pieces
>put on a baking sheet with oil, salt, pepper and hot paprika
>roast in the oven until it's brown and noticably reduced in size, the liquid should have evaporated

Tasty roasted spicy carrots.
>>
File: Beef-Stew-3.jpg (129 KB, 585x390) Image search: [Google]
Beef-Stew-3.jpg
129 KB, 585x390
not OP, but i don't like how sweet carrots are.

they just explode with sugar once they're cooked. if you add to many to a beef stew, your stew will taste like candy.

is there's something that's like carrots, but less sugary?
>>
>>7115332
Just grab one and eat it raw, like you'd do with a banana. Maybe put on some whipped cream. Make sure to wash it beforehand though.
>>
File: shittytaste.png (109 KB, 799x1147) Image search: [Google]
shittytaste.png
109 KB, 799x1147
>>7115519
>sour
Why the hell would a carrot ever taste sour, unless it was no longer actually edible?
>>
File: ng_carrots.jpg (103 KB, 545x362) Image search: [Google]
ng_carrots.jpg
103 KB, 545x362
>>7115332
I've always been super allergic to them. They'd puff up my mouth and throat and make everything itch like mad. Turns out it is some pesticide that's used. The ones I grow at home don't affect me at all. Just the store bought ones cause problems.

As for liking them. Fry them in butter with salt until they start to brown and caramelize.
>>
>>7119306
>Not sauteing your carrot in butter for 2 hours

Are you guys even trying?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjN546QGSMA
>>
>>7115344

When i was a kid, I used to pick them out of the ground, brush the dirt off, and eat them on the spot.
>>
>>7119350
Is this a joke?
>>
Put some olive oil, salt, and pepper on them and bake on a shallow pan covered in tinfoil.

Shit is the best, and isn't unhealthy like dunking in ranch or frying in butter.
>>
They good. Good in cold pasta salads and other cold salads.. They are best for their texture and temperature, they are best covered in dressing.
>>
>>7119285
Potato
>>
Peel one pound of carrots
Place in vacuum bag with two tablespoons of butter, a tablespoon of honey, a cinnamon stick, three green cardamom pods, a teaspoon of salt.
Sous vide at 87C for one hour.
Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to a week until time to serve. Saute contents of bag in pan on high for two minutes when time to serve
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.