[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do restaurants never take off the shell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: fc59ka042-01_xlg.jpg (95 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
fc59ka042-01_xlg.jpg
95 KB, 600x500
Why do restaurants never take off the shell?
>>
They are 100 times nicer if you cook them in the shell
>>
>>7100446
If you don't take out the digestive vein you are literally eating shit which actually makes the shrimp more bitter and taste worse.

>>7100335
it's supposed to seal in the flavor, you can both take out the vein and leave the sehll mostly in tact though, whoever cooked those in the pic fucked it up.
>>
>>7100335
It's also very much recipe specific. If I made a kebab I'd probably leave the shell on to help both protect the shrimp from direct contact with fire and to seal in the juices that could otherwise leave the shrimp tasting rather dry and charcoaly.

If I were however making some tacos gobernador I would certainly peel the shrimp completely.

In either case though removing the digestive vein is necessary.
>>
I personally hate the whole idea of peel and eat
>durr lets season the part of the shrimp you don't eat
>>
>>7100492
That is indeed annoying, yes.
>>
>>7100492
you don't really season shrimp that much in recipes that call for you to leave it in the shell.
>>
>>7100514
All shrimp needs is a good boil and you're done. I'll put in some spices while its boiling for the potatoes and corn, though. Only folks who season the outside of the shrimp are Yankee morons
>>
>>7100335
Harden the fuck up Myron and eat the shell!
>>
>>7100555
I'm a professionally trained mexifag.

>Only folks who season the outside of the shrimp are Yankee morons
That's quite inaccurate we season it regularly and the results, in my not so humble opinion, are phenomenal.
>>
Cook here.

It would take fucking forever, which is impractical because restaurants have a lot of other people to cook for.
Also, when your shrimp is just out of the steamer/boiling water/oven/saute pan, it's piping hot and I'm not going to scald my hands so your pansy ass doesnt have to peel the shell off.
The alternative would be to peel them beforehand, but it's tedious prep, so it's not always done that way.
>>
>>7100611
Where do you work?
>>
>>7100611
>It would take fucking forever
>it's piping hot and I'm not going to scald my hands so your pansy ass doesnt have to peel the shell off.
>The alternative would be to peel them beforehand, but it's tedious prep, so it's not always done that way.

Damn, wouldn't want you having to work for your pay check.
>>
>>7100614
>>7100621
time he took peeling your shrimp could be time better spent on 3-4 appetizers or entrees
>>
>>7100621
I was going to say something similar but I thought it was needlessly confrontational.

>>7100611
You're very much doing it wrong sir.
>>
>>7100634
Bad entrees I wouldn't buy because you're too lazy to properly clean shrimp so how much better could your food be if you're already cutting corners on something so basic?

It literally takes 3 minutes to clean 10 or 15 shrimp, get the dishwasher/assistant to do it.
>>
I hate having to peel the shell if they're served with something completely edible (if they're on their own as a starter I don't mind).

I really don't want to pay when they don't remove its shit sacs though.
>>
>>7100649
>I really don't want to pay when they don't remove its shit sacs though.
Srsly, someone delivered OP's pic to me I'd ask for another one that was actually cleaned.
>>
>>7100611
If I can buy peeled & shelled shrimp at costco, I'm sure you can find it wherever the hell restaurants buy food.
>>
When I was a teenager I had to go on a cruise with my family and my grandfather ordered shrimp at dinner. They told him it would be served with the shell and he said that was fine. As soon as they brought him the shrimp he started swearing and yelling and why the fuck they wouldn't shell the shrimp before serving him and so forth. My other grandfather would do the same with vichysoisse and complaining that the soup was cold but he would only do it to fuck with the waiter.
>>
>>7100678
>asking restaurant to buy frozen shrimp

Well, damn.
>>
>>7100586
This. I just eat the shell.
>>
prawns taste shitloads better when they are cooked in the shell. More flavour that way. But yes remove the shell and poop after cooking
>>
>>7100688
What's wrong with freezing food?
>>
>>7100684
vichysoisse can actually be eaten hot.
>>
>>7100696
It makes it taste worse and your'e paying for cheap frozen costco crap while your'e going out to eat.
>>
>>7100692
>remove poop after you've already soaked the meat in cooked poop while you were cooking the meat

good call
>>
>>7100703
It's not cheap nor is it crap. Most seafood is frozen at some point or other anyway.
>>
>>7100644
At my peak, i could do a box of 21/25 in about 7 minutes.

I haven't had to peal shrimp on the job in a while. It isn't hard though, 15 shrimp in 3 minutes? You've never worked in hospitality...
>>
>>7100611
See >>7101442
Peeling shrimp is a common utility worker job IIRC.

>>7100688
>>7100703
Freezing raw ingredients is fine, freezing cooked food for later consumption is what you are thinking about.

Restaurants have freezers for a reason, and they get used. A lot of seafood is on ice, frozen, and shipped before it is prepped in most restaurants.
>>
>>7100335
anyone else just hold the tail and bite the whole shrimp with it's legs and shell still on it?
>>
>>7100492
the flavor seeps through if you do it right

but I agree that peel and eat is awful
>>
>>7100649
>I really don't want to pay when they don't remove its shit sacs though.

I literally laughed out loud at this for a solid 30 seconds.
>>
lol noone in spain deveins shrimps

that's such an americu/ck/ thing to worry about

it DOESN'T affect the taste at all, in fact cooking them whole is always best
>>
>>7101442
Seriously it should be at least 1 per second, so about 180 in 3 minutes.
>>
>>7101617
We're not all like that and fuck off spanistani, got enough islamics telling you what to do now?
>>
>>7101628
you probably throw out the heads too instead of using the brains to make a delicious sauce

T O P C U C K
O
P

C
U
C
K
>>
>>7101651
Depends on how their cooked but generally I rip the head off and suck out the juices and then eat the shimper's meat. I probably would save the heads for stock but that's not possible in a restaurant.
>>
>>7100611
you sound like a shit cook tbph
>>
>>7100611
>>7100634
If Red Lobster can do it, you can do it, too. You're saying you want to offer less service than Red Lobster.
>>
>>7100691
I did that the first time I ate a large amount of shimp, which was like 2 weeks ago, only did it for the first 4 though.
Before you guys ask, Ive never lived within an hour of an ocean until now, so Ive never been big on seafood
>>
File: shimp and grits.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
shimp and grits.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
reminder that shimp and grits is
G O D T E I R
O
D
T
E
I
R
>>
>>7101679
Shrimpers especially fried are good with garlic mashed potatoes too.
>>
>>7100463

You don't have to remove the shell to take out the vein. Just slice the back of the shrimp and pull it out.
>>
>>7100586

I eat the shell sometimes for shrimp that has been fried.
>>
>>7101617
>spaniards literally eat shit
>>
>>7101676

I grew up 700 miles from the ocean. Whenever possible, I always ordered seafood because it was different.
>>
>>7101881
congrats, I got good beef and chicken from inland and you got frozen as fuck seafood thats been sitting in a wearhouse
>>
>>7101924

We raised our own grass fed cattle. Our steaks were better than any I ever had in a steak restaurant. So when we went to a restaurant, their beef was usually rather disappointing in comparison.
>>
>>7101623
I dunno about that. My averaged time over the course of a box is 3 seconds per shrimp. Some are easy, and come right out of their shell in a blink. Some boxes are easier than others, some can be a nightmare.
>>
File: NUyttbn.gif (4 MB, 375x346) Image search: [Google]
NUyttbn.gif
4 MB, 375x346
>>7100335
Am I the only one who will sometimes eat the shell if it's soft enough? It's got all the seasonings and gives it a crispy texture.
>>
>>7101452
The restaurant I work at has a freezer for desserts and that's it
all proteins are kept in our walk in cooler, and we only keep enough for a couple days to a week in at a time, depending on what it is. Frozen raw shit tastes bad compared to fresh unfrozen raw product in about 99% of cases hands down
>we don't peel our shrimp
>>
File: crab-legs.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
crab-legs.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
On a similar note, fuck crab legs. Why am I paying $20 to do the cook's job for them?
>>
File: pizza plant.jpg (117 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
pizza plant.jpg
117 KB, 650x650
>>7100611
that'd be a cool story if it were even remotely true, you lazy piece of shit. pre-peeled and deveined shrimp are very readily available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLi_3LYAets
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.