[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease today. I understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: gluten_impact.png (136 KB, 660x228) Image search: [Google]
gluten_impact.png
136 KB, 660x228
My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease today. I understand what that entails, but am unsure about how to go about finding suitable replacements for gluten-containing products.

What should I use if I want to:
Make a roux?
Bake bread?
Best general use flour?
How do I use xanthan gum, I'm told that it's now important somehow?

Is there anything else I should know? I had to throw out most of the condiments in my fridge, and would really appreciate brand suggestions for gochujang, miso, and black bean paste that are gluten-free.

Can someone link a good recipe book on Amazon that isn't part of the whole gluten-free fad diet thing?
>>
File: niggertonguemyanus.jpg (87 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
niggertonguemyanus.jpg
87 KB, 580x326
>>
>>7094427

show us your tits
>>
File: 1419743136139.png (192 KB, 287x281) Image search: [Google]
1419743136139.png
192 KB, 287x281
Dis gon b gud
>>
>>7094427
Gluten free all purpose flour. The best way to get alng is to make from scratch (excepting premade gluten free flour mixes) what you might have bought. You also might need to replace you pots because they ca have residiual gluten that will continue to poison him.
>>
>>7094442
I don't think the amount of gluten left on my non-stick pans will be an issue, but I have been considering taking a steel wool to my cast iron pan and starting from scratch with it, which will make me very sad. I plan on asking a dietitian beforehand.

Gluten free all purpose flour is very expensive, so I was thinking I'd try rice flours instead, especially since I already had a bunch on hand from making mochi.
>>
>>7094433
No thanks, I already render my own stock so I don't need store bought replacements. I am fairly competent at cooking.
>>
>>7094463
Checking online, the gluten free all purpose flour is actually just a mix of various non-wheat flours and starches, which I can do on my own for a lot less.
>>
>>7094482
I think you'll find that gluten free flours are primarily corn or potato based flours because those are the cheapest and are even cheaper when purchased as either a corn flour or potato flour rather than a similar product that is marketed as a gluten free flour.

The whole gluten free "fad" has its advantages because now a lot of products are clearly labelled as 'gluten free' which makes shopping easier but the disadvantage is that many of these products now come with a "fad" tax.
Fortunately there are lots of foods that are naturally gluten free and shopping will get easier as you get to know them, as well as knowing which foods contain gluten.

Be weary of pasta because a lot of it made of wheat. That's all I can think of right now. Cookies, condiments and bread you already know about. Good luck.
>>
>>7094427
Rice flour is great for roux
>>
>>7094427
For thickening sauces, corn flour, agar agar, etc.
Xanthan gum is good too, but it's hard to disperse (like corn flour) so keep that in mind.

You can make cannelloni with Paleo Wraps... kind of. I've been doing that at work for a quick lunch (work in a pizza place). Completely different tooth than pasta, but hey, it works.
>>
>>7094522
The difficulty is more trying to find recipes designed around being gluten free, as well as adapting to different cooking techniques.

Like, I made corn bread by subbing in rice flour for the wheat flour called for in the recipe, and it was tolerable but was very dense and did not rise much despite the addition of 8 tsp of baking soda. Obviously subbing one ingredient isn't enough, and I need to learn to adapt further.
>>
>>7094543
Glad to hear this, I didn't want to give up roux-based sauces.

>>7094544
I don't eat a lot of pasta. I mostly cook Asian and Mexican cuisine. Thank you for the advice, I'll add agar agar to the list.
>>
there are some brands of premade gluten free foods that are pretty good, there's a brand called Ginny Bakes that does cookies that are unbelievably good for being gluten free. and any dish based around potatoes. potatoes are the best friend of those who avoid gluten, it is by far the most satiating carb after wheat products
you're going to make yourself crazy if you try to cook foods that traditionally contain gluten in a "gluten free" form all by yourself. and the existing recipes you'll find aren't great
learning recipes from cultures that use little or no gluten, and simply learning where gluten comes from and avoiding products with those ingredients, is your easiest bet.
>>
corn tortillas?
>>
>>7094427
Tell him to man-up
>>
kek everyone just wakes up and gets diagnosed with celiacs disease these days
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.