[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the one thing you have to make every Thanksgiving?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
Pic related for me. It always runs out though, I barely get to have any...
>>
>>7080611
Pies. But freals tho, why does everyone fuck up the turkey?
>>
File: disgust.png (263 KB, 400x429) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
263 KB, 400x429
>>7080619
I have no fucking idea, it's the most annoying thing. I had to take over so that the turkey would come out moist and delicious.

>mfw my mom likes dry turkey
>>
>>7080611
N/A because Thanksgiving isn't a thing here, but for the Christmas and New Year's Eve: tiramisu and milk pudding with wine sauce. The first is a family tradition, the later is something I got from a Roman cookbook and adapted to modern tastes.
>>
File: poppy.jpg (208 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
poppy.jpg
208 KB, 1600x1200
Poppy seed torte. Salivating thinking of it.
>>
Riesling Peach Glazed Ham

I use this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqAi38lBNE
>>
Mac and cheese with hot dogs in it. I wanted to make something for thanksgiving when I was 8 years old so my grandma helped make that with me. We made it a tradition for every year since. My grandma passed recently, so I make it alone now for her.
>>
>>7080639
It's because white people like dry poultry meat. I've never seen anyone overcook chicken or turkey like white people. It's bizarre. They cook everything else just fine, but for some reason when it comes to chicken and turkey they cook it dryer than an old sponge and prefer the driest most Saharan cut (breast).

You know those charts that show the difference between "natural" chickens/turkeys from 60 years ago and what industrial selective breeding has accomplished now? Notice how they have enormous breasts now even though breast meat is the worst meat? It's because poultry breeders are all white folks. If colored folks bred poultry they'd have big ass legs and wings, for dat dark meat.
>>
>>7080611
A reason to leave the house, the day after I do like making a nice stuffing to have the leftovers with though.
>>
I have a few thanksgiving traditions...

Apple Sausage Puffs
Caramel Popcorn Balls
Cranberry Relish made with white wine
I always baste my turkey breasts in white wine and butter, covering the breasts in cheesecloth
Asparagus with sherry cream sauce
Candied, spiced nuts
>>
Orange rolls

yeasty rolls with way too much crisco and orange zest
>>
>>7080639
I can't make the turnkey comes out moist

i'm a failure to life.
>>
File: 1425855086479.png (337 KB, 500x576) Image search: [Google]
1425855086479.png
337 KB, 500x576
>>7080639
>Moist means it's undercooked, you're going to get salmonella
>>
>>7080887
>It's because white people like dry poultry meat
Anon...she's a Black/Chinese Jamaican...

The ironic thing is that she LOVES well seasoned, moist chicken.
>>
>>7082133
she's an outlier, or a replicant

check behind her ears to see if she's a reptilian at the very least
>>
File: Dandy....gif (631 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
Dandy....gif
631 KB, 384x216
>>7080931
>Just perfect! It's so crispy~
>>
>>7082137
I wouldn't be surprised.

But yeah, I'm making sure my turkey is moist this year, even if I have to stop everyone from going in the kitchen to let it sit.

That, and I'm making an extra batch of my macaroni and cheese for myself.
>>
We always go over to a family friends house and they make the turkey and one or two sides while we make the bulk.

I personally usually make some variation of green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, a salad and some other random vegetable side. And then for finger foods before the actual dinner (there are usually around like 30 people invited) I'll make meatballs, pigs in a blanket, baked brie, quiche and bacon covered dates.

Holy fuck though the husband of the family friends cannot cook turkey for shit. The meat itself he cooks fine, it'll be juicy and soft. But the man cannot grasp the concept of cooking the outside and letting it brown. Every goddamn year it looks like a fucking ghost turkey and the skin is a gloopy mess. If you try and tell him to take the foil off to brown it he flips the fuck out and stresses everyone out so we just let him have it. His wife makes a fucking amazing honey ham so we mainly stick to that.
>>
>>7080806

Australian Christmas 40°C day, crayfish sandwiches, prawn cocktails and half decent champagne. My lord.
>>
>>7082139
Why is there a thing with an erection in front?
>>
>>7080874
Dem feels, good on ya. Keep the tradition alive!
>>
>>7080840
>Poppy seed

PATRICIAN DETECTED

Would you share your recipe with the crowd?
>>
>>7080611
turkey and dressing. i fucking love dressing
>>
>>7080840
That looks good.
>>
>>7082207
kek, that's not an erection.
>>
I haven't read a single comment of this thread but I want everyone to know bland mashed potatoes are the worst thing in the world and people who make them are terrible people.
>>
File: Ed and Edd.jpg (155 KB, 512x400) Image search: [Google]
Ed and Edd.jpg
155 KB, 512x400
>>7082740
>not adding at the very least salt and pepper to mashed potatoes
>>
>>7082740
I agree.

I had thanksgiving dinner with some friends a few years ago. My friend's wife made these horrible mashed potatoes that were literally just boiled potatoes that she went after with an electric mixer until they were basically the consistency of a thick smooth paste and she added nothing to them. No salt, no pepper, no butter or milk, nothing at all.

They were fucking terrible.

She also made some fucking awful corn too. She just dumped a few cans of corn into a pot with a bunch of country crock margarine and then boiled it for half an hour.

She also way overcooked the turkey to the point that even the dark meat was dry, made some terrible green bean casserole with canned beans and cream of mushroom soup and nothing on top because they both hate onions and she managed to burn the shitty frozen store bought rolls because she didn't bother to read the directions or pay attention to them when they were in the oven.

I've never celebrated thanksgiving with them again since.
>>
>>7080619
I'm going with impatience. Everyone I know wants to "get it out of the wat" so that when it's time to eat the turkey's been done and stuffed in the fridge for a day.
>>
>>7082740
Who the fuck doesn't add at least salt and pepper, much less butter and gravy?
>>
>>7080611
7 layer dip
BGSOOTC
refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, onions, olives, tomatoes, cheese
>>
File: dinner.jpg (45 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
dinner.jpg
45 KB, 570x428
Growing up in a Czech-American family, I thought every American ate Czech-style sliced dumplings and sauerkraut as part of their traditional turkey dinner. It took me a long time to realize that no one else does this. Although I was kind of aware that most families don't give loaves of vánočka as Christmas gifts.
>>
>>7080887

This white people liking bland food meme is getting old. And this is from an actual "ethnic."
>>
>>7082839

Was that turkey anorexic? Also, Czech food looks horrible.
>>
A whole roasted pig
Pumpkin cheesecake instead of pumpkin pie
A huge pot of crawfish, corn, red potatoes, lobsters, clams, and prawns
A roast joint of mutton or lamb
>>
>>7082740
We add milk, butter, pepper, salt, crispy bacon, and melted cheddar. Served with cornbread
>>
File: yams.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
yams.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>
>>7082842
It's 100% true for elderly white people.
>>
>>7082979
I never could get into that, I feel ashamed as a black guy.
>>
>mfw I refuse to talk to my family for things they did
>mfw I'll never get to taste my aunt's broccoli puff again

It's just like fucking broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, and a ritz cracker and cheddar cheese crust, but I can't find the goddamn recipe.
>>
>>7080619
>>7080639
>>7080887
>>7080927

Seriously anons, give smoking a shot. Low smoked turkeys, ducks, chickens, geese (fuck if you can find a freshly killed one omg) and peasant are absurdly easy to do and are god-tier meats.

I almost always do a root mash, generally a carrot, a large sweet potato, a large shallot then the rest 30/70 parsnip/russet potato, with a semi-demi, a stove top then baked mac and cheese or bake a nice thick loaf of bread.

I'm going to smoke a goose and then probably stuff 3-4 poussin or 2 cornish hens, depending on what I can find and the confirmed headcount, with a the mash.
>>
>>7083008
not sure exactly what you're looking for, but i found these:
www.cooks.com/recipe/mt5p43v2/broccoli-puff.html

www.food.com/recipe/first-place-broccoli-casserole-with-ritz-crackers-404283
>>
>>7083047
That top one looks right, but she would NEVER put mayo in her food.
>>
>>7083066
http://southernbite.com/2012/04/25/broccoli-casserole/
>>
>>7083102
That looks PERFECT. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>7082772

How the fuck do you mess it up that badly. Though usually you add butter, salt, and pepper on the plate, not in the pot.

>green bean casserole

WHAT IS THIS. My ex's mom made it the exact same way. It's disgusting. Someone has brainwashed a generation of white women into thinking this is okay.
>>
>homemade cranberry sauce
>homemade pumpkin pie
>extra cranberry sauce because I drown the turkey in it
>sweet potatoes

>>7082979

Dat shit good.
>>
BROC CO LI
CASS ER OLE
>>
>>7082846
It's not exactly what our family dinner looks like, but the only image I could find on the web on short notice with turkey and knedliky.
>>
>>7083487
Not only a generation of white women, a generation of Jamaican women too.

>tfw my mom INSISTS on either getting or making it every year
>>
>>7083588

in my experience, green bean casserole *can* be made into a good dish.

As long as you start with fresh green beans and absolutely use some sort of french-fried onion topping, it'll be decent and not a horrendous puke-colored hot dish.
>>
>>7080840
>Poppy seed torte
I've never heard of that. Just found this recipe. I'm definitely going to make that this year.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/poppy-seed-torte-recipe.html
>>
File: lasagne-01.jpg (501 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
lasagne-01.jpg
501 KB, 1936x1936
Lasagne
>>
>>7080927
Try cooking it in an oven bag.
>>
>>7083487
its the cream of mushroom that they use with it. shit fucks it up. just make the sauce from scratch and use fresh green beans or it'll turn into mush. the fried onions on top are kind of a meme and i just use panko and caramelize some onions and add it to the green beans.
>>
>>7080611
We're Canadian so my family absolutely hates anything about "traditional" american food for thanksgiving.

It's stuffing with apples, walnuts, cranberries
Mashed potatoes with nutmeg
Cranberry sauce and my mother will cut anyone who wants it from a can
cheesecake
and mashed turnip

I dream about my mother's stuffing and mashed turnip and no matter what I do it's never the same when I make it.
>>
>>7084006
Exactly this.

I make mine with bacon and mushrooms and a bechemel sauce and buttered panko on top. I've done it with fresh green beans before, but they can often be more trouble than they're worth. I usually prefer to just get a few bags of frozen french cut green beans instead. They don't get mushy if you just let them defrost, mix in the sauce and put them in the pan with the breadcrumbs on top and stick them in the oven until heated through and browned.

I usually go to a friend's house for thanksgiving every year and make a big ass 9x13 pan of it. I normally don't have much to bring home with me since everyone fucking devours it.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.