[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food In Singapore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Staying with some friends in Pasir Ris neighborhood of Singapore for the next week. What do. What eat?
>>
Look up Newton Hawker Centre. You'll thank me later
>>
geylang.. good food and good bbbj and rimjob
>>
>>7081571
Can confirm this one is good. Get the stingray.

If you're down near geylang like the whore lover said, go to Old Airport Road hawker centre. Best bean curd on the island.
>>
Singapore's pretty tiny, so don't limit yourself to the local area. Been a while since I've been, but the food courts generally did really good food. The place is absolutely lousy with cabs, so just jump in one and ask for a rec. Clark quay is pretty touristy, but I think it's still worth a wander. I think there's still a good tequila bar along there somewhere.

The fancy hotels around the place do some pretty fucking great sunday buffets if you want to splash some cash.

Night safari's kinda cool, and the botanic gardens are nice if you want a chill afternoon.
>>
>>7083517
Stingray's definitely good, both in flavor and texture and in unique fare.

Drink all the varieties of coffee you can, no joke. My favorite was kopi-C.
>>
File: Fish Head Curry.jpg (451 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Fish Head Curry.jpg
451 KB, 1024x683
>>7079941
Try the teh-tarik. It translates into "pulled milk tea" where the vendor pours your tea from a couple feet up into a cup to create a foamy texture.

Get the laksa, which is a curry noodle dish made from a seafood stock. Other specialties include ba-kut-teh "pork bone tea" which is a peppery broth of pork and spices, often served with a bowl of white rice.

If you like seafood, do as >>7083517 and >>7084075 suggested and get the stingray. Otherwise split a fish head curry with some of your friends. Pic related. No you don't have to eat the head unless you're really adventurous. The Chinese believe that fish cheeks are a delicacy though.
>>
Get this gook shit off my /ck/
Seriously just fuck off
>>
>>7084297
I forgot to add. If you're REALLY adventurous, take a day trip to Malaysia. They have great durians, rambutans, mangosteens, and lychees. I listed the fruits in order of most exotic in terms of taste to least. Dragonfruits are a meme don't believe what this board says.
>>
>>7084303
This is a good idea, flight's surprisingly cheap too.

Oh, and go to lau pa sat. It should be open again by now.
>>
>>7084322
Don't even have to fly bruh. There are coach buses to Johor, the tip of the Malaysian peninsula. It's literally an hours ride from Singapore.
>>
Other dishes you should try while here.

Chicken Rice - Boiled or roasted chicken with rice that is cooked in the chicken broth.

Chai tow kuay (Fried carrot cake) - steamed radish and rice flour mixture, Stir fried with egg, we call the plain one 'white', while the 'black' has added dark soy sauce.

Char kway tiao - usually found in the same shop as chai tow kuay, stir-fried rice noodle strips with beansprouts, egg, fish cake, chinese sausage, cockles and dark sauce.

Fried Hokkien Mee - Stir-fried noodles and rice noodles with squid, prawns and prawn stock.

Hope you have a great time here OP
>>
>>7084337
Until recently you could take a train from Tanjong Pagar, but then the usual trans-straits butthurt ruined everything, and KTM Berhad was asked to vacate the premises.
>>
>>7081571
That tout-infested tourist trap with mediocre hawkers so shady they occasionally make the headlines for charging hundreds of dollars for a few prawns? Sure, why not.

Try Old Airport Road hawker centre, or the one in Tiong Bahru for breakfast/lunch (get something from Tiong Bahru Pau). Serangoon Gardens is pretty good, too.

>>7083885
Food courts are generally mediocre at best, but cheap and convenient (one exception - the basement of ION Orchard. Great Hainanese beef noodles). Also, cabbies know where to find the best artery-hardening food in the middle of the night, which is why so many of them die young of heart attacks.

>>7084434
The best part about the place was that you could get great food at Malaysian prices.
>>
Singapore hawker food is overrated shit.

Most are mediocre and worst than fastfood. The only good ones are either in restaurants or very specific eating places.

Coffee/Tea tastes like resin when not saturated with condensed milk to the point of being liquid diabetes to hide the low quality.

I'll settle for McD, its cheaper.
>>
>>7085495
truer words have never been spoken
>>
>>7081621
The girls in pink in front of hotels are very friendly.
>>
>be Chinese
>visit Singapore
>see tons of Singaporean """Chinese""" with fucked up names like Liq Suk Dik or Wee Fong Fuk (seriously who comes up with this shit?) who look like they mixed with actual monkeys
>everyone - and I mean everyone - is ugly as shit, from the Chinese to the Indians to the Malays
>Singlish sounds like a cat clawing on a blackboard
>food is horrible and is basically just Cantonese food with 10x the disgusting qualities

At least the city is clean, I guess.
>>
>>7087522
Singlish is awesome, sounds a hell of a lot better than that Cantonese accents. Lah.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.