[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's going on with this cast iron skillet? It's just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 2015-11-13 22.22.05.jpg (615 KB, 2581x1937) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-13 22.22.05.jpg
615 KB, 2581x1937
What's going on with this cast iron skillet? It's just a cheap Lodge that I bought at my local mega-mart, it came pre-seasoned.

Is this the bare cast iron with the seasoning stripped off? I have never used soap or abrasives on it, but after making a meat pie in it this happened.

Do I need to completely start over and re-season?
>>
if cast iron still performs well (e.g. cooks eggs without sticking), it's fine no matter how ugly, discolored, and pitted it is.

rust is the only thing to watch out for.
>>
>>7072788
I wouldn't reseason unless you start getting carbon flakes in your food.
>>
you fucked up the seasoning. stripe it and reseason
>>
>>7072795
>cook eggs without sticking in a cast iron
>>
>>7072933
my eggs slide all over my lodge cast iron. chill bro.
>>
>>7072795
>>7072859
>>7073270
Thanks bros, it still works, I just cooked scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and sauteed onions, nothing stuck. I guess it really doesn't matter if the seasoning peeled off the side since that's not generally the surface that I cook on.
>>
>>7072788
That's definitely the bare metal, and left like that, it will rust.
>>
>>7072933
confirmed for never cooking in a properly seasoned cast iron pan
>>
>>7073826
I scrape, rinse, dry, and seal it immediately after every use, am I still at risk for rust? If I keep sealing it (using coconut oil) will that patch eventually get coated again?
>>
>>7073908
At risk yes, but lowered. You can patch it by burning on a new layer of oil.
>>
>>7072933
>Being too retarded to properly season their pan
>>
>>7073908
If it is not seasoned you will probably get some rusting over time. Even brief exposure between the raw metal and moisture will produce very small amounts of rust which will build up over time.

If you really want to be sure, re-season it.

Best method is to apply a very thin layer of oil (as in wipe off as much oil as you can with a paper towel - whatever is left is how much you want), then heat the pan for a while beyond the smoke point of the oil. Oven heating is even and reliable, but obviously anything indoors and you have to deal with the smoke. It should be sufficiently protected after about 2-3 cycles of this, although the more you do the better the seasoning becomes.

Best oil to use for seasoning is flaxseed, but anything is better than nothing.
>>
>>7074213
how does one generally deal with the smoke when using the oven method? I just read a small tut on how to do it but it said nothing about the pan smoking. just to apply oil and put it in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour with foil beneath. I dont need to leave the oven door open a tad do I? just open a window to outside? thanks
>>
>>7074234
use oil with higher smoking point, peanut oil for example
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.