[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do my tortillas keep coming out crumbly? I'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
Why do my tortillas keep coming out crumbly?

I'm trying to make oat flour tortillas and they keep coming out crumbly like pie crust.

People on forums say it needs either more oil or more water, but they still come out crumbly even after adding as much oil as possible before the dough gets greasy and as much water as possible before the dough gets sticky. I even let the dough sit for 30 minutes after it's mixed like the recipes say.
>>
>I'm trying to make oat flour tortillas

That's why
>>
>>7059541
over-cooking
>>
>>7059541
Try it without any oil. Just oat flour, salt and water. Also knead it for a few minutes and let it rest for a while before you form into tortillas and cook them.
>>
>>7059541

let it rest maybe even over night

ever stick a bowl of loose porridge in the fridge after breakfast and you come back and it's a solid brick?
>>
>>7059544

wat

>>7059547

They fall apart easily even before I can cook them.

>>7059552

I could try that maybe.
>>
>>7059564

My first batch had been left wrapped in the fridge over night and it was also crumbly.
>>
oats have no gluten bruh
>>
I know what's wrong here. Don't use oil to make tortillas. Use lard. Warm lard and warm water for soft, stretchy tortillas.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/Tortilla/TortillaMaking.htm

I don't think subbing in oat flour should make much difference.
>>
>>7059711
>I don't think subbing in oat flour should make much difference
0/10
>>
>>7059711

I don't want to use lard because it's less healthy than olive oil. I've seen lots of directions for making tortillas and many say you can use oil. Most tortillas I've bought in stores also don't have lard.
>>
>>7059541
Have you tried making them in a traditional manner?

Also see: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/thin-tender-flour-tortillas-recipe.html

It uses flour. So if you're one of those gluten intolerant people who isn't bedridden from gluten but just gets gas, try it out you fucking pansy.
>>
>>7059999
>those quads
>also no lard

Okay you get the fuck out or man up and use lard.

There's a reason why lard is used for tortillas. Science bitch. You need animal fat. Either butter or lard.
>>
>>7059999
then enjoy your shitty crumbly tortillas? i don't know what else you expect
>>
it's because you're using oat flour you idiot. get a fucking education in how food works before you start getting all smug and thinking you can sneak things which are 'better for you' into traditional recipes.
>>
Lame bait OP
>>
>>7059999

>hey guys I want perfect tortillas but I don't want to use tortilla ingredients.

maybe you should study molecular cuisine and come back in 10 years with your miracle recipe.
>>
Dollars to donuts that OP is a woman.
>>
>>7059541
Real tortillas are made from corn masa fag
>>
>>7059999
Wow girl fuck you
>>
>>7060015

I have a food allergy and can't have wheat or corn, but I can have oats and almonds. I've thought of using almond flour too if it comes out better. The oat flour tortillas taste great, it's just the texture I can't get right.

>>7060017
>>7060130

I've seen lots of different brands of tortillas in stores that say they don't use lard or any kind of animal fat but they have a good texture. I know traditional tortillas use lard but I think good tortillas can also be made without lard.

>>7060425

I know it's different, that's why I'm having trouble getting it to work. Surely there must be a way. Maybe I should I use almond flour instead?

>>7060524

Maybe someone here has and could help me with my recipe?

>>7060568

I would rather, but I can't have corn.
>>
>>7062089
>store bought tortillas
>good

LOL
>>
>>7062109

I mean they have a good texture.
>>
>>7062089

>I have a food allergy and can't have wheat or corn

no you don't
>>
>>7062116
they have a shitton of chemicals to simulate the texture of lard senpai
>>
>>7059541
Simple, it's because you touch yourself at night.
>>
>>7062117
I diagnosed myself on webmd and I can assure you I do.
>>
>>7059999
Check'd
>>
>>7062117

I have an autoimmune response to some foods and wheat and corn are two of them. I can have oat flour and almond flour, and there might be more kinds of flours that I don't know about that I can have.

>>7062121

Can I use some of those? I've tried using baking soda and cream of tartar because I read it can be used as a substitute for baking powder. Maybe I'm not using enough.
>>
>>7062134
>I diagnosed myself on webmd

I tried that once.

It said I had cancer because I was sweating at night.

Went to a real doctor, turns out I just get really warm and start sweating at night.

You're a genuine fucking idiot if you try to diagnose yourself on webmd and think it's anything but a joke diagnosis.
>>
Oh, also, OP, they're fucking crumbly because you're using oat flour.

Pure oat flour doesn't form gluten, so of course the fucking dough is going to be crumbly. There's nothing you can do to stop that.
>>
>>7062171

That poster wasn't me.

>>7062173

Is there anything else I can use to achieve the texture of gluten?
>>
>>7059541
I feel like there isn't enough starch(corn) or gluten (flour) to make them not be crumbly. I'd try adding something else to them.
>>
>>7062293

I can't have corn starch or wheat gluten. What should I add?
>>
>>7062134
>webmd
kek

KEK
>>
>>7059698
Neither does corn bruh
>>
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/thin-tender-flour-tortillas-recipe.html

I'm generally shit at all things dough related, but these turn out extremely well nearly every time.

I use my mixer though instead of a food processor since I don't have one.

Buy the lard, any grocery store or spanish grocer will have it. DON'T get crisco.
>>
File: rly tho.png (214 KB, 404x411) Image search: [Google]
rly tho.png
214 KB, 404x411
>>7062166
>I have an autoimmune response
>>
>>7062573

Would this work with oat flour and olive oil?
>>
Maybe add an egg, either yolk, white or all of it? Though at this point it's probably more of a pancake than a tortilla but they're pretty much the same thing anyway.

Also, I never add any oil to my tortillas. It's just flour and water. So I don't know why everyone is making a fuss over the use of lard. But then these are the same people who are hating on you for having food intolerances simply because they don't understand it.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.