[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me What is the best recipe for iced coffee? P.S. I dislike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Iced-Coffee.jpg (557 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
Iced-Coffee.jpg
557 KB, 2400x1600
Help me

What is the best recipe for iced coffee?

P.S. I dislike sugary crap, so the less sugar the better.
>>
>>7054789
>I want a recipe for iced coffee
>No sweets
Just plain iced coffee, then?
>>
Pour coffee over ice. Add milk or sugar to taste.
>>
Make a cold brew
then dilute, sweeten and flavor to taste
There is no best recipe, all you can do is experiment. Hell, not many people can even agree if cold brewing is the best thing to make iced coffee from.
>>
>>7054789
If you are making it ahead, you don't need it to be that strong, because ice wont' dilute it much when already cold.
Your palate will rule this one. Chill down some espresso, make a light roast by the pitcher, or whatever you like to do with cold brew. Your decide.
>>
>>7054789

#1 rule is cold brew

don't make a hot brew and then ice it down, but make it cold all the way
>>
coffee + ice
>>
>>7055726
>>7055748
This.

>>7055900
Then this.
/thread
>>
dunkin brews their coffee 2x strong and then pours it over ice
>>
>>7054789

Depends what you want. Instead of pouring over ice and watering down you can always cool down hot coffee quick by putting it in a metal mixing bowl and putting it in an ice water bath in your sink. If you also put a large metal serving spoon in the bowl it will help it radiate heat quicker too.
>>
americans are weird

When I said iced coffe I was talking about iced coffe with MILK, not iced water coffe, wtf
>>
>>7054789
Coffee + cold
Combine and serve over ice
>>
>>7056496
how do you intend to make coffee without using any water?
did you mean an espresso-based iced coffee?
>>
>>7056149
Don't do this, it makes mustard gas
>>
>>7055748
Or brew hot directly onto ice nip style and adjust the brew ratio to accommodate the ice.
>>
>>7056496
thats an iced latte you donk
>>
Make a double shot (~50 g) of espresso. Put your espresso shot in a cold water bath for a couple of minutes to cool it down so it doesn't water down your drink when you mix it with ice. Then pour the cool espresso into a cocktail shaker with 150 g of whole milk, about 20 g of the syrup of your choice (adjust to desired sweetness), half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and one egg white. The addition of egg white creates some foam and gives the drink a really smooth mouthfeel. Do a dry shake (without ice) to break up the egg white, then add ice and shake again to cool the drink. Strain over ice into a nice glass.
>>
>>7054789
make an espresso, double shot preferably.
add cold milk.
WOAH
>>
>>7055726
if cold brew = "cold drip",
then thats different and not actually great
the taste is substantially more bitter which not everyone likes,
and keeps in some parts of the coffee which have been deemed toxic by scientists.
>>
>>7054789
Peanut butter.
>>
>>7058427
latte just means white. You mean cafe latte
>>
>>7058494
i damned hope you make it abundantly clear your concoction has EGG when you serve it.
>>
https://youtu.be/e9PqefBGdxc
>>
Remember: cold dampens your sense of taste.

Don't believe me?

Have you ever tried melted ice cream? Disgustingly sweet, wasn't it? Yeah.

So, because the cold dampens your sense of taste, you're going to need your iced coffee brewed stronger than regular coffee would be to make up for it.
So there you have it.

My formula for the amount of coffee to use is
C = K + (K ÷ 49) × 7
K = (W ÷ 100) × 7

Where C is the amount of ground coffee in grams I use, K is the result of the first equation and W is the capacity of my drip brewer in ml.
So, say my brewer holds 1000ml of water. Then
K = (1000 ÷ 100) × 7 = 10 × 7 = 70
C = 70 + (70 ÷ 49) × 7 ≈ 70 + 1.43 × 7 = 80g of coffee should be used.

I fill the reservoir only half way (so 500ml, using the 1000ml example) and half fill the carafe with ice and brew as normal. As the coffee brews over the ice, it cools instantly and melts the ice just enough to even out the strength just right for me.
>>
>>7058047
>nip style

>implying southern italy hasn't been enjoying iced coffee a century before japan even knew what coffee was
lol
Southern Italians brew their coffee directly over ice to make iced coffee, then pour into a shaker with sugar and go to town to both dissolve the sugar and create a foam.

>>7058494
You don't need egg, you enormous faggot.
>>
>>7060279
>implying there exist foodstuffs that are not improved by the addition of eggs
>>
>>7060279

Different anon but egg is sometimes used in coffee. Vietnamese egg coffee uses egg or egg whites to make a foam. A French recipe I found uses chocolate, coffee and a raw egg to make a hot beverage. Norwegian egg coffee uses a raw egg and shells to clarify coffee and the bind to some of the tannins which can make coffee bitter and astringent. These are not Italian coffee traditions but there are other types of coffee out there too.
>>
>>7060268
Finally someone else from /sci/
Thank you.
>>
>>7060268

That's one reason different wines are served at different temperatures, although the cold tends to heighten tannins.
>>
>>7060268
How did you derive this equation?
>>
File: caffe shakerato.jpg (1 MB, 2000x3008) Image search: [Google]
caffe shakerato.jpg
1 MB, 2000x3008
>>7060297
Never been! Though I did minor in maths at university.

>>7060296
Albumin had been used as a clarifier in many parts of the world when brewing coffee, this is true, but the only culture I know of that actually prepares (more like 'prepared,' actually, as it's seldom done today) an egg coffee is Neapolitan, though it uses the yolk and it's served hot.
Similar to zabaglione, yolk and sugar are beaten together to a uniformly pale yellow colour to which a few drops of freshly brewed coffee, either by moka or Neapolitan coffee pot, are added at a time whilst still beating.
Once the yolk is adequately heat-tempered, the rest of the coffee is poured into the serving pot in a slow, steady stream, still beating the yolk/sugar/coffee mixture all the while.
This is done because moka and drip brewers don't create foam as the agitation of the moka-brewing process and the gravity brewing of the drip combined with heat disallow a stable colloid from being maintained and, as such, this was a solution done in Naples and its environs from the 30-50s, during and just after the war.
Since cold coffee /can/, in fact, maintain a relatively stable foam, egg white isn't really needed. You can add it, sure, and it'll hold better, but it isn't strictly necessary.
Pic related is a foam made only of iced coffee and sugar with no other ingredients at all. This is a common way to serve iced coffee in southern Italy. This one was made in a shaker. You can tell because of the size of the bubbles in the foam.
>>
>>7060311
I am from Italy. Some old people still use ounces, but only as a measure for coffee, with 1 ounce being enough for one pot of coffee for four people. In fact, a four-serving moka fits exactly 1oz of coffee. That's 28g for 400ml so 7g per 100ml.

For a 600ml, six serving pot, though, 50g of coffee is used rather than the expected 42g, so I figured that it must be necessary to add exponentially more and more coffee in addition to the simple 7g per 100ml, so I figured an additional 7g for each 500ml on top of that base amount would do it IE 600ml would use 49g.

Does that make sense?
>>
File: ricetta shakerato.jpg (41 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
ricetta shakerato.jpg
41 KB, 650x500
>>7060328
And this is the same proportions made instead using a blender. Note that the foam is much finer with no large bubbles due to the more controlled and steady agitation a blender provides over a cocktail shaker.

The gist of the recipe is
>in a blender, put 3 ice cubes, 1 tablespoon of sugar and a shot of espresso, blend smooth and pour into a chilled glass then garnish with cocoa powder and/or coffee beans, as desired
>>
>>7055748
Brewing coffee hot at double strength doesn't result in too bad of an iced coffee.
>>
>>7055726
>>7055748
But that tastes bad.
>>
>>7054789
I can't stop seeing a bunch of little one eyed creatures in that glass.
>>
>>7054789
>coffee
>pour over ice
>>
>>7060279
I wasn't implying anything, that's why I said nip style and not Italian style, they aren't the same thing.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.