[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who likes white pepper? Not a big fan of other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Am I the only one who likes white pepper? Not a big fan of other peppers but I put this shit in a lot of my cooking. I never see it mentioned anywhere, sorely underrated condiment IMO
>>
>Using only black pepper
>Using pre-ground
>Not using a medley grinder
>>
I like it for certain things (bechamel, hot and sour soup, dry rub for poultry, etc) but the smell of it revolts me. Pure unadulterated funk. Plus black pepper is always to hand.
>>
My dad owned a restaurant and white pepper was an ingredient in a lot of stuff. Like shrimp fra diavolo for instance.
>>
paul prudhomme said it makes food taste twice as good. It is an essential.
>>
>>7054716
Essential for chicken salad.
>>
>>7054755
>bechamel
This dude gets it. If you don't put white pepper in your bechamel you're fucking up
>>
>>7054755
it really does smell like a barn.
>>
>>7055060
Wait really? To me it just smells of slightly different pepper.
>>
>>7055074
Different anon here, but yeah... it smells really bad, bro. You're lucky if it smells good to you.
>>
>>7054716
It smells like a barn but it is necessary for certain things due to its color
>>
If youre not in the industry and just an average joe cooking then you probably wont know its essential in a real kitchen. White pepper wont fuck up your presentation or make your sauce look like its got burnt bits in it
>>
>>7054716
>>7054879

Because it's primarily used for the aesthetic, so you don't have black dots floating around in something white. It tastes a little different, hotter and flatter, though most plebes can't tell the difference.

You guys know it's just regular pepper with the outer layer of the seed removed, right?

However, if you're buying pre-ground, yeah, you're running into similar issues of stalenes (that make it smell funky) as you can with pre-ground black pepper (blech).

If you're going to use it, by all means, use the whole seeds and ground for use.
>>
White pepper sucks and people only use it in white dishes so there aren't little black specs.

It's a shitty substitute for black pepper and used purely for the look.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.