[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the average home cook, what do you think is the most commonly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: youfuckingdonkey[1].jpg (342 KB, 700x495) Image search: [Google]
youfuckingdonkey[1].jpg
342 KB, 700x495
For the average home cook, what do you think is the most commonly overcooked dish or item? Most commonly undercooked?

For both of those, how would you describe them (Color, texture, smell, etc) when cooked properly, and if possible or relevant, can you offer any tips on a proper cooking technique or trick to get them perfectly cooked?

I feel like a lot of newer cooks are most worried about burning/overcooking things or serving under cooked food, because it's difficult to recover a dish once served in either of those states, particularly overcooking. Plus, if you really botch it and things become inedible, it can become impossible to taste and rate your cooking and then improve on flavors and things going forward.
>>
>Overcooked

Any and all vegetables.

Probably not as bad as it was a few generations ago though, I remember eating my grandma's food and all veggies were reduced to an inedible slop.
>>
overcooked
>pasta
>vegetables
>beef

undercooked
>pork
>chicken
>minced meat (ground beef for amerifats)
>>
Overcooked eggs.

Undercooked beans.
>>
For the average home cook? Probably everything is overcooked. But especially pork. We were all raised by our parents telling us that if we didn't cook our chicken or pork until bone-dry, that we'd die and worms would eat their way out of our stomachs. And if you have more than the tiniest bit of pink in a steak, or any pink at all in a burger, you'd perish immediately.

Vegetables, always overboiled or microwaved from frozen. I never learned how to blanch fresh vegetables until college.

An instant-read meat thermometer is a must. Once you're really experienced you can tell if meat is done by time, look, and feel, but for home purposes, why the fuck not own one? That way you can have juicy, delicate meat that's done but not jerky.

Fish, too, is something that can be easily fucked up, particularly if you're not on one of the Two Major Coasts™. Fish is usually done long before you think it is. It should be tender and fall apart easily, but shouldn't be chewy.

Onions and garlic are a great way to start many dishes, but holy fuck if they aren't terrible when burnt. That's another common issue.
>>
>>7046415
Overcooked:

Pork and poultry

People are scared and think they have to cook it till it's dead.
In Japan and Germany people even eat raw pork.
>>
>>7046449
Id put pork and chicken in overcooked.

Most stuff is overcooked because people are terrified of food poisoning.
>>
>>7046463
people also have a habit of cooking meats that are still cold or partially frozen because fuck waiting if you forgot to take it out of the freezer early enough
>>
>>7046473
there have been more times than I'd like to admit when I've cooked chicken, then cut into one piece to see too much pink or slightly reddish juice for my tastes and then proceeded to overcook the shit out of it
>>
growing up with my moms cooking it was
overcooked
>vegetables
>meat of any kind (especially pork)
>eggs
>baked goods

undercooked
>potatoes
>rice
fucking undercooked rice and the way it crunches just a little bit when you bite down
>>
>>7046492
>undercooked rice
That's why my father taught me how to cook rice. He would not allow my mother to teach me.

Ever since I've been totally baffled by people who think that cooking rice is difficult.
>>
>>7046415
Chicken. The salmonella scare has everybody overcooking chicken, and I completely sympathize, I'd hate to get food poisoning or have to sit on the toilet half the day with some weird constipation/diarrhea shits which happened the last time I undercooked it.

There has to be a better way than the meat thermometer method, because when you do that, all the fucking juices start coming out and you get a piece of dry chicken anyway.
>>
>>7046478
>because fuck waiting if you forgot to take it out of the freezer early enough
Yeah. Fuck that. Freezers are too good at their job, I'm hungry now and I'm too tired to go get something else.
>>
>>7046516

What is your method/recipe on cooking rice? It seems half of the time it's overcooked with too much water or undercooked and the water is boiled away. I use the same amount of water so idk what it is. I've got a 20lb bag of rice I got because it was on sale and lasts damn near forever
>>
Most commonly overcooked dish would be pasta. religiously followed package directions for "al dente" at 11-12 fucking minutes.

Overcooked
>vegetables far too long, turn into mush when it needs to have bite to it
>pork (i was among the many that think pork has to have absolutely no pink in it)

Undercooked
>vegetables not long enough, still hard when it needs to be soft (think potatoes)
>steak. confusing pink/red for raw or vice versa

>offer any tips on a proper cooking technique or trick to get them perfectly cooked?
It sounds like i'm asking for a dissertation to some, but you can't just blindly buy food at the market and expect to know how to cook it. Just because it cost $2 doesn't mean you shouldn't treat it the same as that $30 steak cut. If you do research on steak and learn how to make it perfectly, why doesn't that same mentality transfer to a non-meat ingredient? Why the mental block? You can easily fuck up asparagus. You can over season it or over cook it into mush. Meme fag and wrap it in bacon. Make a beurre blanc sauce on some spears that were quickly charred but still a lot of crunch. Fucking god tier.

Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, not garlic powder (which has it's place, just not in potatoes).

Learn to explore non-sweet flavors. Everything doesn't have to taste sweet. Nor is the only sweetener sugar.

Start with one dish and make it over and over, checking your pride at the door and ask for all criticisms. Take in and listen. It took a long time to perfect, but I now can make my guaranteed sex dish for my girlfriend on days that I have to abso-fucking-lutely have to guarantee getting laid. (it's pork chops, steamed broccoli with a butter cheese sauce, and roasted garlic mashed taters. She hates garlic but loves roasted because I've never told her what it really is. picky eaters suck sometimes, but it is what it is)
>>
>>7048919

Not him but here's my method, long-grain white rice with a glass electric stove:

>1 cup of rice : 1.5 cup of water ratio
>About 1tbs of butter for 1 cup of rice
>Throw all of it into a pot
>Pot on the heater, crank it up to high
>Set a different heater to low/medium low (If you have a gas burner just turn it down to low after it gets up to a boil)
>Cover and bring up to a boil
>Once it's boiling shift it over to the other heater
>Let it simmer for about 12-15 minutes
>Take it off the heater and let it sit for at least 5 minutes
>Fluff, season and serve

Pretty consistent results every time. I don't know the standard for rice, but mine isn't firm nor is it very sticky or mushy. There shouldn't be any water left.
>>
Average home cook? Probably pasta. Over and undercooked.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.