[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: 61QIulgivOL._SL1500_.jpg (31 KB, 1500x1071) Image search: [Google]
61QIulgivOL._SL1500_.jpg
31 KB, 1500x1071
I'm in the market to purchase a quality chef's knife, and I was looking at Shuns as I heard many positive things about them.

I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Shun-VB0706-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B00BQ83BCE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446745264&sr=8-2&keywords=shun+chef+knife

Should I get this knife? It's in my budget. I was also planning on getting a paring knife too at some point.
>>
>>7045815
Shun is a fine knife. It's not the best from a cost/performance analysis but they're well made, they use good steel, and most people find them comfortable to use.

If you don't have the means or the inclination to maintain them, then of course you're wasting your money buying something that nice. If you want easy mode and have money to burn, get an edge pro and any knife (vg10 knives from non-memebrands can be had for much cheaper than shun)
>>
>>7045815
>>7045869
This pretty much

I was using a shun for a while, pretty well made knives. I use a global now and prefer it over the shun. Anytime I pick up my shun it feels way heavier in comparison to the global. So I guess it would depend on how heavy you like your knives.
>>
>2015
>still buying steel knifes
>>
>>7045815

I cannot recommend enough that you also learn how to sharpen. Simone who has the tools and skills to sharpen their knives will get better performance out of grocery store kitchen knives than someone who doesn't know how will get out of Bob Kramer's after a few weeks of use.
>>
tojiro dp
>>
>>7047567
I've heard tojiro was also a good brand. Any real difference between them and Shun? Both are Japanese steel and have roughly the same price point.

I'll be cooking pretty much everyday. I'm also wondering if I should settle for a cheaper brand or even get a knife set.
>>
What beginner knife do you recommend? General purpose
>>
>>7049586
Depends but your run of the mill Shun is normally a bit more expensive than a Tojiro DP

Steel wise they're going to be similar, Tojiro has a little rougher fit and finish. As for the rest it's just a matter of what you think is more comfortable and what kind of blade profile you like. Shuns have more belly than the equivalent Tojiro.

Most people way overthink the knife and way underthink the sharpening, as has been mentioned before.
>>
>>7049628

The rest of you shout at me mercilessly if you disagree, but I'd figure you pretty much can't go wrong with Tojiro DP for an 8" Gyuto (Chef's knife) and a 3 or 4" drop-point paring knife.

You should also learn to sharpen with whetstones of some kind, I would recommend learning on oilstones or waterstones and avoiding diamond plates or sintered ceramics initially.
>>
>>7049725
>>7049628
I think it would be good to know if this guy means "beginner" as in "I've never even cooked before and I am a beginner at even cutting up an onion" or "I want to start getting really good at using and taking care of knives, but I am a beginner with knives"

If the former, a dexter or mundial or fibrox chef knife and a diamond steel would be more than adequate.

If the latter, I'd say start with an inexpensive carbon steel knife such as old hickory or one of those cheap blue steel Japanese rat tail knives, a couple of waterstones, and a strop. I have found carbon to be more user friendly and provide better feedback than modern hard stainless steels and it will be easier to learn quickly. A Tojiro is a difficult knife to learn with because the cladding gives confusing feedback if you learn by feel.
>>
>>7049752

Fair points, got some brand recommendations for carbon steel knives that will have decent heat treats? Basically something cheap but better than mystery steel/mystery heat treat.

I emphasize the heat treat because grocery store tier kitchen knives are often hard for beginners to learn on because of out gummy the steel is and how ragged a burr they tend to form.
>>
>>7047543
Where to learn to sharpen?
>>
>>7051413
YouTube
Seriously
I own a shun, very happy with it & use it 5 days a week at work. I would like it to hold an edge better than it does but I am using it daily so..
Next knife I buy will likely be a Misonu or Korin
>>
>>7047543
>whetstone is visibly uneven
>placed on top of a flexible surface
all of my wot. I'm not a pro sharpener, but that looks like a good way to fuck it up desu senpai.
>>
>>7052276

Good point, I should have picked a better stock image for that post!
>>
File: 02e3ee38.jpg (290 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
02e3ee38.jpg
290 KB, 1280x960
>>7051398
This would be a pretty good one to practice on
http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/monzaburo-gishiki-bocho-300mm-honyaki-w-ebony-han300.html

In addition to being a much better knife than anything made in the west, it is also useful for performing 庖丁式.

Note, if you are white, I would suggest you forget you ever read this post. Just stay at MacDonalds and don't venture outside your comfort zone. I only posted this in case a cultured individual happens to be lurking - unlikely but you never know.
>>
File: 1386845661152.jpg (214 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1386845661152.jpg
214 KB, 625x626
>>7053132
>>
>>7053132
>庖丁式
>literally knife autism
>cultured
>>
>>7045815
protip

real chefs don't use these.

Just buy a $20 carbon steel 8" off Amazon and use that.
>>
>>7054569
My cousin's ex is a "real chef" and he has shuns. Then again he is a private chef for a rich family and he gets paid pretty good money.

Checkmate atheists.
>>
File: XNiCN2S.gif (2 MB, 387x217) Image search: [Google]
XNiCN2S.gif
2 MB, 387x217
>>7053132
>much better knife than anything made in the west
>>
>>7055774

Most private chefs aren't real chefs.
>>
>>7055798

Do you slice your food with a lead pipe too?
>>
>>7055804

That's not a pipe, it's a superior western blade.
>>
File: true_scotsman.jpg (92 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
true_scotsman.jpg
92 KB, 768x1024
>>7055802
>no chef would do this
>but this chef does
>no TRUE chef would do this!
>>
>>7055844

"Chef" is a title you earn working your way up in a professional kitchen.

Any home cook can buy an chef's coat with their name on it, start a "private chef" company, and refer to themselves as "chef".

See the difference?
>>
>>7055873
Chef-

: a professional cook who usually is in charge of a kitchen in a restaurant

: a person who prepares food for people to eat
>>
>>7055810

Are you really this dense?

The point was that that only demonstrated that a thin blade will break before a thick hunk of steel, which has nothing to do with maintaining a sharp edge for the purpose of delicately slicing food. Hence, you might as well use a lead pipe if that was your demonstration of which is superior.
>>
>>7055893

I'm sure the guy who originally said chefs don't use shun knives - one of the most popular knife brands for home cooks - was referring to anyone who prepares food for people to eat (i.e. homecooks).
>>
>>7055918

>he thought a sword was a pipe
>im the dense one

ok man
>>
File: D70_0229_thumb.jpg (87 KB, 752x501) Image search: [Google]
D70_0229_thumb.jpg
87 KB, 752x501
>>7054569
You're right, for example 山本 征治 doesn't use Shun. He uses much nicer knives.
>Amazon
There is literally nothing wrong with rakuten
>>
>>7045815
Japanesechefknife.com
>>
>>7057505
Jiro uses Swedish Mora knives for sushi.
>>
File: dm0706_1.jpg (35 KB, 1020x400) Image search: [Google]
dm0706_1.jpg
35 KB, 1020x400
>>7045815
Op, i have (see img) and have been working with it daily for over a year by now and I gotta say I'm amazed.
The quality of this knife, (and it's sisters of the same series) are very high from my semi-professional stand-point.
worth the money desu.
+ it looks nice, easy to sharpen. high quality steel etc etc.
>>
>>7045815
You can get knives of the same or better quality around that pricepoint from other manufacturers like MAC, Tojiro, Fujiwara, et cetera et cetera
>>
>>7045815
http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447075931&sr=8-1&keywords=tojiro+dp+gyuto

Get this
>>
>>7057536
I have one of these, and I can vouch for it as a solid knife.

The curve at the end of OP's knife looks useful as well. If you don't care about the $10 price difference, you should be happy with either one.
>>
File: beauter.jpg (457 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
beauter.jpg
457 KB, 1000x667
Here's a gyuto I bought recently made by Takayuki as an upgrade, I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
>>7055936
Protip, its a hyperbole
>>
>>7059094
I find the lack of machi unsettling

It looks like it has Turner Syndrome
>>
>>7059250
I was worried at first too, but It feels very solid in the hand.
>>
Can anyone recommend an easy mode knife set that will last a long time?

I have this as I am shit with a sharpening stone and it works well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2SWNMPRDTIVOK&coliid=I3D15O8N7SE68T
>>
>>7059299
You're going to fuck your heat treat with that thing, so just get some dexter knives or similar from a kitchen supply store
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.