[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Israeli Salad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 700544972_564e118f79.jpg (133 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
700544972_564e118f79.jpg
133 KB, 500x332
I must be retarded because I can't figure out how to make this work. I mean, obviously it tastes like cucumber and tomatoes and lemon juice and parsley, but is that all it's supposed to taste like? Should I be putting a buttload of salt on it?
>>
lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, mint, olive oil

some feta would be pretty good in there too
>>
>>7044239
You should probably put some salt if you haven't already. Just as a rule of thumb, you should basically put a bit of salt on everything.
>>
>>7044244
>some feta
>subtly transforming it into a greek salad
>>
>>7044253
Meh, whatever. It tastes good, you can call it whatever you want.
>>
>>7044289
don't take away the Israelis culture, anon. all they have are falafels and this salad.
>>
>>7044295
Too bad falafel is from Egypt.
>>
>>7044295
>muh shakshuka
>>
>>7044309
Nobody knows, it's just middle eastern food.
>>
The secret ingredient in these types of salads is sumac. You won't see it in any recipe (damned if I know why) but its unique flavor is the key to the REAL stuff. Tart and flavorful but not overpowering.

Find a place that sells it (any Arabic grocery, or Amazon otherwise). Then equal parts ground sumac and warm water (AKA 2 teaspoons of each) and let that sit 10-15min before you mix that into your dressing.

And then enjoy the good shit.
>>
>>7044239

cucumber
tomato
red onion
lemon juice
oil
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
sumac

Adding parsley gets you coban salad. Mint gets you shirazi salad. Chili peppers get you kachumber salad.
>>
>>7044239
A bit of cilantro leaves and parsely would help.
>>
>israeli salad
>falling for the co opted jew name
>even jewish food historians admit they stole it from other middle eastern cultures.

Basically every country or region from that part of the world has a version of a chopped tomato and cucumber salad.

Its supposed to taste fresh, i figure its supposed to be a nice cooling salad, put a little salt in there and a little pepper along with the lemon juice, but for the most part let the veg and herbs do the talking.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.