[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Espresso Shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 20
File: Linea_doubleespresso.jpg (115 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Linea_doubleespresso.jpg
115 KB, 500x500
What does /ck/ use to make espresso at home?

I got a delonghi ec155 for $45 used, did I do good /ck/?
>>
>tfw tried to use a friend's espresso make once when I was housesitting but it started steaming and making loud noises and I got scared and turned it off
>>
once i get my own place i'm finna get a gaggia classic to be perfectly honest with you

will get a fucking sick grinder too

i have plenty of experience with espresso machines but this will be my first time buying one
>>
>>7042556
aeropress
>>
>>7042556
Aeropress.
>>
>>7042556
That's a fine starter machine. When you're ready to move up I agree with this anon:
>>7042612
>gaggia classic
That's what I have. Just adjust the grind in your burr grinder (it's own weird art/science) and backflush the machine after every use, then clean it every now and then, and you'll have fancy ass coffeeshop level espresso for life, as long as you don't cheap out on the beans.
>>
>>7042618
>>7042619
aeropresses do NOT produce espresso you FUCKING idiots
>>
Shit, 45 dollars isn't bad for any coffee maker, good job.
>>
An old La Pavoni manual press I got off eBay a while back. It's from the 80s, but I maintain it pretty well so it works fine. I only paid like $250 for it. I'm a college student right now, once I've got my own place and some spending money I'll probably buy a new La Pavoni, maybe one that looks a bit more decorative too (wood handles)
>>
>>7042629
You are incorrect.
>>
>>7042629
Fuck off, faggot. Neither do Moka pots but it's close enough
>>
>>7042621
>gaggia classic
Oh thats a nice looking machine.
I got the EC155 because I saw it highly recommended for my budget (<$100), and finding it for less than half that price used was awesome.

Might swap out the steam wand as it fucking sucks--way too short.

Also need to get a grinder. I have a shit ton of Pilon laying around (had a moka pot before this), and to be honest I love it.
>>
>>7042633
What comes out of a moka pot bears little resemblance to espresso. The whole point of espresso is controlling the heat so the oils in the result are not denatured. Moka is just cooking the shit out of the coffee, which is fine if you're mixing it with scalded milk, but tastes like shit on its own.
>>
>>7042642
anon...........
>>
>>7042658
what? i was a barista at one of the best cafes in central london for two years, my friend. aeropresses may produce stronger-than-average coffee, but it is NOT espresso
>>
>>7042641
>but it tastes like shit on its own
You don't know how to use a Moka pot. If you aren't a retard, you control the rate at which the water boils and you take it off the heat when it reaches the Vesuvian phase. If you don't you get burnt shitty coffee.

Congrats on being a tard
>>7042658
You're an idiot if you think an aeropress produces espresso. Espresso, by definition, has to be brewed between 8-10 bar, which an aeropress is not capable of
>>
>>7042664
Please leave, you silly fantasist.
>>
>>7042638
Once you get to the Gaggia it's a whole other rabbit hole you may choose not to go down. A proper pump machine with a three way solenoid valve is like an Italian race car - fussy as fuck, but it can smoke almost anything under the right circumstances.

The level up that comes with a Gaggia requires a burr grinder adjusted for exactly how fresh vs stale your expensive beans are that particular moment of that day. Do it right and you'll have shots with crema rippling through them like the bubbles in a perfectly poured pint of Guiness. Do it wrong and you'll either get shit coffee or nothing at all out of the machine.

The expense and high level of geekiness that goes along with really good espresso might be more than you want to deal with. If you're happy driving a Nissan a Ferrari might be a poor choice for you. Consider sticking with the moka pot and the Pilon, or the cheap Delonghi unless you absolutely must have the kind of espresso people pay $2.50/$3 a shot for at home. Because that level is it's own fucking world.
>>
>>7042684
I'm actually quite happy with what I got, especially for the price. Though I do want a burr grinder, but I have a stockpile of Pilon to go through.
>>
>>7042675
>If you aren't a retard, you control the rate at which the water boils and you take it off the heat when it reaches the Vesuvian phase. If you don't you get burnt shitty coffee.
If you aren't a retard you know that water boils at 212 degrees F, and espresso is burnt at anything over 191.
>>
>>7042677
what are you disputing? that i was a barista at one of the best cafes in central london for two years, or that aeropresses do not produce espresso?
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 640x1136
Is pic related any good. My parents got one withou asking first.

Every time I stay there, I try to pull an espresso. The thing sounds like it's pulling itself apart.
>>
>>7042691
A burr grinder is useful at your level, but not totally required. The Delonghi is brewing at boiling temperature, so it's not really that fussy about the grind. The grind becomes much more touchy when you're using a pump to force 190 degree water through the puck. That's when you absolutely NEED a burr grinder.

Also, don't throw away your moka pot, because those machines are notorious for dying after a couple years. I killed a couple before I said fuck it and got the Gaggia. It's been a love/hate thing ever since. I love the shots I pull, but I hate the cost of really good beans and the fussiness of it all. Sometimes I still make a moka pot full of Cafe Bustelo and wonder, "If it was good enough for Abuela why isn't it good enough for me?"
>>
>>7042753
because abuela didn't care about flavour, it was just for the caffeine for her

seriously, fuck her generation
>>
>>7042760
>abuela didn't care about flavour,
Bullshit, she loved that stuff. She just scalded the shit out of the milk she poured into it, and then added a few spoons of sugar, making the result a different animal entirely. The same way others of her generation were totally happy to drink really poor quality coffee made in a perc machine, because once they put enough cream and sugar into it no one noticed how terrible it was.
>>
>>7042753
I forgot to clean my moka for a long time, so mold grew in the bottom. Dish washer (striped the shiny surface ofc), copper pads, nothing could get rid of the white marks it left in there. Then again it was a cheap ass vonsheef that I could easily replace.

Also Pilon is so much better than shitstelo.
>>
>>7042773
like i said, fuck abuela

even italian coffee, which is held in such high regard, is fucking S H I T if you've ever been to a decent third-wave coffee shop
>>
>>7042778
>even italian coffee, which is held in such high regard, is fucking S H I T if you've ever been to a decent third-wave coffee shop
Yet for some reason the coffee in Andalusia holds up, scalded milk and all.
>>
>>7042785
i'm starting to think you just have shit taste
>>
>>7042692
And again, a Moka pot doesn't make espresso but it makes a close analog. And the steam that enters the basket in a Moka pot doesn't enter at 212. Fuck off, retard
>>
>>7042789
>And the steam that enters the basket in a Moka pot doesn't enter at 212.
It's water, not steam, and it's at or just under 212. It's way over 190.
>>7042786
Or nostalgia is powerful shit.
>>
>Pour beans in
>Chose between ristretto, espresso or lungo
>Single or double
>Can pick strength of shots
>Hardness of water
>Steamer that I use sometimes but mostly can't be bothered
>It grinds the beans fresh for every shot
Based, honestly. Picked it up cheap cuz the owner died and the son couldn't use it. I seriously don't know why people buy those gay little coffee pod machines. All they do is add not water to the coffee pods. Why would you need a big machine for that? Theyre way more expensive in the long run even if I'd bought a proper espresso machine outright.
>>
>>7042749
THIS IS ANOTHER ATTENTION GRABBING POST BY SHITPOST INCORPORATED.
>>
>>7042778

Bitch please, your tumblrima "third wave" bullshit can't hold a candle to the better cafes in Italy. Granted there is no coffee with any redeeming value in Italy north of Rome, but in Rome and down towards the south, there is some mesmerizing coffee made.
>>
>>7044001
i went to rome and naples and searched high and low for a place that didn't grind all the beans in advance and didn't have steam wands with milk caked all over it

guess how many i found
>>
>>7044001
>your tumblrima "third wave" bullshit
Tumblr didn't invent coffee, you fucking child

Kill yourself
>>
>>7044939

Yes, because I couldn't have been referring to the typical Liberal Arts major staffing said coffee shops, you retarded mongoloid.
>>
>>7044936

Where the hell were you looking? At a bare minimum, you missed out on St. Eustachio in Rome, who make a hell of an espresso.
>>
File: 8186YbhMtBL._SL1500_.jpg (172 KB, 1222x1500) Image search: [Google]
8186YbhMtBL._SL1500_.jpg
172 KB, 1222x1500
>>7042556
Graef ES 90 and a handmill. The Greaf is good for espresso but not somuch if you want to steam milk which is with this machine a bit tricky
>>
>>7045141
>service staff must major in STEM or it triggers my burgers
Oops, you dropped your fedora again
>>
File: women_laughing33.jpg (56 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
women_laughing33.jpg
56 KB, 460x288
>>7045196

Oh, did I rustle your man-bun?
>>
>>7045213
>I'm not mad, u mad
Tell us how triggered you are by the wrong brand of phone next
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (221 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
221 KB, 630x421
>>7045220

>being this defensive about his choice to major in art history

Ayy lmao
>>
>>7045225
>I couldn't get a job designing video games because of feminists
:(
>>
File: laughing_whores.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
laughing_whores.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>7045264

Whoops, guess it was women's studies instead! No wonder your so mad!
>>
>>7045272
>not mad, u mad
It's not normal to avoid coffee because of your lonely white neckbeard inferiority complex, anon-kun
>>
What's the cheapest real espresso machine you can buy? I'm currently using some cheap mr coffee one and it's not very good.
>>
>>7045326
check craigslist
>>
>>7045213
>>7045225
>>7045272
>>7045141
someone seems upset.
>>
>>7045326
moka pot for 16 bucks online
>>
>>7045370
I don't mean a moka pot.
>>7045356
Is used worth it?
>>
File: smug_laughter.gif (460 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
smug_laughter.gif
460 KB, 500x282
>>7045276

>Avoid coffee

As if someone could develop a sufficient level of dripping contempt for the typical pretentious man-bun wearing hipster faggot "third wave" coffee shop employee without visiting those coffee shops regularly.
>>
>>7045398
OP here, I like mine.
>>
who /turkish coffee/ here?
>>
File: rancilio_silvia_version_3.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
rancilio_silvia_version_3.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>7045326

Too expensive for you if you are asking the question. Real espresso machines are plumbed into the water line and require a burr grinder to produce good results.
>>
>>7042749
Sooooo
>>
>>7042556
I use my car.

First, gotta get ready, put on some pants and a shirt. Shoes or sandals depending on the temp outside. Now, I grab my wallet and my keys, lock the house, head out the door and get in my car. This key here. I start my car then drive to the local coffee shop, this one being peet's. I get in line, ask for an espresso, pay, and receive.

It's that simple!
>>
>>7045710
Peets espresso is shit, vile cager

Protip: gagging and grimacing don't show how manly you are. Espresso isn't supposed to be a way of showing how you can tolerate horrible flavors
>>
File: nespresso.png (370 KB, 888x1080) Image search: [Google]
nespresso.png
370 KB, 888x1080
I bought the $107 Nespresso machine. Makes consistently good espresso. Never bad espresso. However never extraordinary espresso either.
At 71 cents per shot (made in 30 seconds), I don't really expect miracles.
>>
Hello /ck/, scrub from /a/ here! It felt stupid to make new thread to ask this so I will just ask it here. Does anyone know what this coffee making thing is called?
>>
>>7046192
Siphon brewer/vacuum pot
>>
>>7046053
>Nespresso machine
>good espresso

Ayy lmao
>>
>>7046268
http://aeon.co/magazine/culture/julian-baggini-coffee-artisans/

Michelin star restaurants (over 30% of them actually) think Nespresso is good enough espresso for their restaurants.
Blind taste tests with coffee enthusiasts have proven that Nespresso is on par with barista espresso.

Have you ever even tried it? I honestly would have laughed off a pod machine before trying Nespresso
>>
>>7046452
>Michelin star restaurants (over 30% of them actually) think Nespresso is good enough espresso for their restaurants.
They do this because they know no one goes to Michelin starred restaurants for the coffee, and no one will stop going to the restaurant because the coffee is mediocre. Unlike the food, the wine, and the service, the coffee at such places is seen as an afterthought. The fact is pulling a decent shot takes a lot of resources. You have to keep the machines running at all times, you have to adjust the grind multiple times per day, and you waste a more coffee than you actually serve doing that. You also waste coffee when the beans in the hopper go stale, which they will if you aren't serving that many espressos, which they really don't, compared to a coffee shop.

I'll order an espresso after an expensive meal about 1 out of 5 times, mostly only if I've had a little too much to drink and I need something to perk me up. At times like that I'm not in a position to complain or go somewhere else.
>>
>>7046665
Yeah... Michelin starred restaurants got that way by serving mediocre products.
Look, I'm not saying that my nespresso machine is serving "michelin star quality" espresso. All I'm saying is that MOST people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the product that comes out of my machine and the product that comes out of the average barista at the average modern coffee shop.
I happily fall into that camp of people.
>>
>>7045964
Sorry you take your sugar and cream with a little coffee and call it espresso. Also, espresso has never tasted terrible to me, are you still 12? That's cute! Trying the bitter stuff to look older? Impress your babysitter to thinking your mature? What did you go as for halloween? I bet it was scary!
>>
>>7048855
You ought to know better than this. Peet's espresso isn't very good if you compare it to the top tier stuff, which in America would be Intelligensia Black Cat and Counter Culture Toscana.
>>
>>7048855
>Also, espresso has never tasted terrible to me
>I was drinking Peets this whole time

You're lying to me, and you're probably lying to yourself at this point. Espresso never tasted good to you because you have never tasted a good espresso in your life. I guarantee you struggled to control your face the first few times, then you learned to "handle" it like you thought a mature grownup should.

We're all anonymous here. Live and learn. I hope you didn't brag too much about your mature adult taste in real life. I can only imagine how humiliating it is to know what a fool you looked like.
>>
>>7047482
>Yeah... Michelin starred restaurants got that way by serving mediocre products.
How many reviews of top notch restaurants make mention of the coffee? You'll find it's exceedingly rare in real life, because I'm right and you're wrong.
> All I'm saying is that MOST people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the product that comes out of my machine and the product that comes out of the average barista at the average modern coffee shop.
Key word being average. You may be able to please people like this guy >>7048855 but not anyone who knows better.

It's too impractical to serve top notch espresso in a restaurant environment. I don't see why you're arguing about this, when we agree on the basic point that a cartridge machine isn't much worse than a neglected "real" espresso machine operated by someone who isn't skilled and using beans that aren't in good condition and a grinder that isn't adjusted correctly. Which pretty well describes the "average" coffee shop in a lot of places.
>>
>>7050188
the point I'm really making with the Michelin star restaurant reference is that the people that are in charge of making the decisions about what their customers put in their mouths are very aware of the quality / source of every ingredient and typically make every attempt to only get the very best. Some of these places have 5 staff members per customer. Do you think they would serve it if they didn't think it was GOOD and just wanted consistency?
I understand your point about most reviewers not mentioning coffee, but that certainly cuts both ways. If people who have discerning palates (Michelin star restaurant reviewers) found their coffee / espresso off-putting, they would relish the chance to bitch about it in a review.

>You may be able to please people like this guy >>7048855 but not anyone who knows better.
Yeah I also doubt this claim. I'm pretty sure most coffee enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I do find it quaint and romantic that most people think that anyone on this board would be able to make better quality espresso at home with any real consistency.
>>
File: James-Cameron-during-a-Gu-005.jpg (24 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
James-Cameron-during-a-Gu-005.jpg
24 KB, 460x276
Which Espresso machines have the copper pipe internals?

Those are the ones you should buy second hand. They'll last you forever.
>>
>>7050355
>bitch about it
I was talking about mainstream reviews by food writers, not yelp. Nobody goes to a Michelin star joint based on yelp reviews. And no one goes there for the espresso. Those are just facts of life.
>I do find it quaint and romantic that most people think that anyone on this board would be able to make better quality espresso at home with any real consistency.
Anyone who can make good espresso at work can make good espresso at home, why is that such a crazy idea to you? I know why. Because you never tried to make one at all. If you haven't ever made a good espresso at all, then that's your problem. The issue is willingness to buy the necessary gear and to spend the required time. For the record, as an ex barista, I'm not, so I just stick to paper filter coffee at home and buy espressos at a coffee shop.
>>
>>7042556
OP, I guess you didn't realise /ck/ is full of coffee elitists that demand you pay £2000 on a home espresso machine or go to an independent coffee bar you've probably never heard of to get an over priced average cup of coffee.

Oh and did you get 'fresh' beans less than 2 minutes old. Its like you don't want a crema.
>>
>>7051099
I certainly wouldn't imagine a barista going home and using a pod machine. That would be embarrassing.
>Anyone who can make good espresso at work can make good espresso at home
Actually my real point is that anyone (even non baristas and people that don't study the intricacies and science of coffee) can make consistently good espresso at home with pretty much zero effort with a retarded looking rinky dink pod machine like I have. And any snob that looks down upon it and says that "that's not real espresso" or "that's not GOOD espresso" has some antiquated romantic vision of authenticity. The process has been engineered and automated to the point where I can wake up, barely able to open my eyes, stumble over to my pod machine, throw a pod in, press a button, and I have good espresso in 30 seconds. Beyond the economic fact that it only cost me 71 cents for that pod, there is extraordinary value in the convenience of that process and the fact that it only takes up a very tiny footprint in my kitchen.

>Because you never tried to make one at all. If you haven't ever made a good espresso at all, then that's your problem.
Naw man.. No problem here. I make a good espresso every morning.
>>
>>7051128
>some antiquated romantic vision of authenticity
a plastic pod with 1/4 the coffee, ground six months ago and pissed through a disposable plastic filter, objectively speaking, can never beat the correct amount of coffee, ground directly into a metal basket with a wide metal filter operating at high pressure. the latter requires some diligence to do correctly, and the nice thing about your pod system is that no diligence is required - it's the same shit result every time.

yes, it's convenient. no, it's not "good espresso". pic related, just because the technology has been around for a while doesn't make it bad.
>>
anyone have experience making lattes with this thing? the nature of my sumer job means an espresso machine is undoable but i'l have access to a small stove and want to make some espresso drinks. How does it taste on its own?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (11 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
11 KB, 355x355
>>7051462
forget pic
>>
>>7051108
>britbongs trying to shit up the thread
Please stick to your burbly-bobbly electric-boilingtons and smashed up tea leaves in a perforated envelope. Adults are talking.
>>
>>7051235
I dunno man. Nespresso grinds, measures and vacuum seals the coffee in the pod so it's as fresh as possible for as long as possible. They manufacture a machine that delivers a fixed amount of water at a very specific speed, pressure, and temperature. All of these parameters are tuned by professionals, engineers, and coffee experts with much more combined knowledge than you or I. Their product is refined by panels of taste testers and many of the best chefs in the world like it enough to serve it at their restaurants.
I feel like I'm not misleading the people on this board by telling them it's "good espresso" and I feel like you're downplaying the quality out of pure snobbery.
>>
>>7051641
>All of these parameters are tuned by professionals, engineers, and coffee experts with much more combined knowledge than you or I
That pretty well describes a McDonalds hamburger or a DiGiorno frozen pizza.

They're marvels of modern food science so it's fair to respect them from a manufacturing perspective, but it's repugnant to me that anyone would try to argue that they're just as good as a hamburger made of 80/20 sirloin or a pizza made of 00 flour in a refractory oven.
>>
>>7051660
The comparison was solid until you factor in the fact that top chefs serve it in their restaurants.
>>
>>7051672
http://observer.com/2015/06/stop-serving-bad-coffee-at-fine-restaurants/
>Indeed, the coffee critic Oliver Strand, who writes for The New York Times, among other places, estimates that fewer than 10 restaurants in the city take coffee seriously. Those include Eleven Madison Park (which dutifully prepares its coffee on a siphon or Chemex), Dan Barber’s Blue Hill and Blanca in Brooklyn. But in general, he said, Michelin-starred restaurants “don’t give a shit.”
>“I’ve just given up,” said John Mariani, the former Esquire food critic who is something of an espresso connoisseur. “They get better coffee in a prison in Sicily than most Americans will ever get a chance to drink.”
You may not notice, but others do.
>>
>>7051490
An American shitposting, how out of the ordinary.
>>
File: 1436801423196.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436801423196.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>7046053
>people are buying nespresso/keurig hot water dispensers
>>
>>7051462
moka pot
hand grinder
french press and microwave to foam milk

wa la, poor mans latte/cappuccino
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zau2i4SNc

If you're reading this thread and you're lost, check out the ChefSteps class.
>>
>>7051683
If the only people I'm disappointing with my pod machine are a New York "coffee critic" and an "espresso connoisseur" then I'm okay with that. The thing is -people that like espresso think it's good. Maybe not connoisseurs and professional snobs that call themselves coffee critics. I'm sure they'd lose much credibility admitting a pod machine can churn out a good espresso.
>>
>>7051811
> the only people
>le New York is irrelevant maymay
Third highest count of stars in the world. Highest in north america. What are you even trying to suggest? That we should listen to a plumber from Indiana instead of a professional food critic writing for a sophisticated audience?

Times change. 20 years ago a michelin starred joint wouldn't give a shit about anything other than wine and a small selection of spirits. Maybe some might keep a six pack of fancy imported macro lager in the fridge, not listed, but just in case. But in recent years it has become normal, albeit not universal, to see a decent beer list at a two or three star restaurant.

I'm not suggesting beer would replace wine (I don't even think it's a good choice with a multi-course meal since it just fills your stomach with carbon dioxide). What I'm saying is that consumer expectations change, and in turn, restaurants learn to cater to these expectations. At the moment, most people think Starbucks is good coffee and therefore aren't going to notice when their end of meal cup is mediocre. But some influential people do care - hence why Dan Barber and Daniel Humm are preparing coffee to a higher standard.

>The thing is -people that like espresso think it's good

Not really. Just you and people who have bought into the pod system. Even the owners of the restaurants admit, openly or off the record, that pod coffee is being served because they can't be bothered to spend all that effort when there are so many other things to worry about.
>>
>>7051853
So you're telling me that Michelin star restaurant owners will knowingly serve products that they don't themselves think are of good quality? And some have even admitted that fact?
I'd like to see that.
>>
>>7051943
Read the article and the links in the article
>>
I have a doubt.

Used to drink filtered coffee my entire life and if I remeber correctly, expresso is too strong for my taste. I hate waiting for the coffee to cool down so I'm thinking about getting a bialetti to make expresso and then add cold water to dilute and cool down. Will it turn shit?
>>
>>7042631
Just buy wood handles for your pre-Millenium. Better decision financially.
>>
>>7051953
Okay so I read the linked article I think you're referring to - the grubstreet one? Yeah nowhere in there do the chefs or owners say that Nespresso isn't good. In fact it appears that the general manager was comparing it to a high end champagne calling it the benchmark.
>>
>>7051970
Technically, Bialetti coffee is not espresso, it's moka pot coffee. The reason they're nice is that they cost a lot less than a cheap espresso machine shaped object (EMSO for short), they take up a lot less space than an EMSO, and they look real neato.

You could do what you described, or you could keep your current filter method and just stick the mug in the freezer or fill it with ice and water before you start heating up the water for the coffee. Assuming a normal coffee cup that ought to be enough to bring the temperature down to drinking temperature in a few seconds.
>>
>>7045326
La Pavonis on Ebay. They're hard to use, but they're nigh bulletproof because no pump.
>>
>>7051991
Your reading comprehension sucks. He said it's comparable to a champagne that isn't the best in the world, but is recognized as a benchmark. Starbucks is a benchmark too.

He also said:

>We have three square feet.' His Nespresso machine is "small, efficient, easy to use, consistent, and very clean.”
>“If I had more room, would I do something different?” Liebrandt muses. “Sure, maybe.”

This is a tactful way of not openly getting quoted as saying he's serving crap coffee because he doesn't have the room or the resources to do better.
>>
>>7052007
Sorry, man. A benchmark is not a negative thing. It's a standard of excellence.
Nobody in that article said one negative thing about Nespresso.
>>
>>7052063
>Nobody in that article said one negative thing about Nespresso.
Not in the way you want, because then they would be going on record as saying they were serving a crap product. What incentive would they have to do this?

Their credibility is at stake if they express ignorance about the quality of what they're serving. But their integrity is at stake if they openly say they know it's crap. So they do they only thing they can do: faint praise it with "it's efficient" and "all you have to do is press a button".

Imagine if they said that about food prep. "We buy pre-cooked fish from Aramark because it's efficient and our staff is less likely to fuck it up that way". The only reason this flies with coffee and not with fish is because they're ultimately going to be judged by their fish, not by their coffee.
>>
>>7052083
Yknow friend, I feel like you're REALLY stretching what they're saying to fit into your narrative. You're reading between the lines with some serious confirmation bias. Here are the facts - nobody in that article said anything negative about Nespresso and the people quoted had positive or neutral things to say.
Also, there lies a spectrum between "crap coffee" and the absolute best coffee in the world. What I am saying and what everyone in that article is saying is that while it may not be the absolute best, it does lie on the "good" side of that spectrum, and unlike fallible baristas, it does so consistently.
>>
>>7052125

Ok, let's find an alternate narrative that fits with the facts.

>mostly neutral things to say about a product served at a high end restaurant

This should put anyone familiar with fine dining instantly on guard. The dining experience is supposed to be the best, right? So, why are they so unwilling to say it's flat out the best coffee, no buts, no "wow so foolproof", not padding their statement with a bunch of excuses?

They aren't making excuses for their food, or their wine. They're not saying "well there's only so much a restaurant can do, so we serve a modest selection of Turning Leaf Merlot and Toasted Head Chardonnay because they're crowd pleasers and hiring sommeliers is too much trouble". So why so sketchy about the coffee?
>>
>>7052158
>As Marc Forgione's Conway says, "They’ve taken something extremely variable and made it foolproof." He compares the consistent quality of Nespresso to Krug Grand Cuvée: Better bubbly exists, but "everyone agrees it’s the benchmark for Champagne across the world."
>consistent quality
>benchmark

I'm not reading between any lines here. These high end restaurant people are calling it good. They aren't calling it the best. And they're not calling it crap. The only comments I was referring to as neutral were things that have nothing to do with taste like "small" or "efficient" or "easy to use", but honestly those are technically positive all things considered.

You basically sent me to an article that proved my point and you're trying to tell me to read these positive comments as being sketchy.
So when he says consistent quality he really means consistent crappy quality, right? And by benchmark, he really means to say lowest common denominator...
>>
File: bialetti-moka-express.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bialetti-moka-express.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
I use pic related. And yes, I know it doesn't really make espresso, but it's the closest I can do on a student budget.

the downside is that I have to have them grind my beans at the store, as the Moka requires it to be very fine which at home can only be achieved by a €150+ electronic grinder..
>>
>>7052204
>I'm not reading between any lines here

You should always read between the lines, no matter what you're reading.

They are calling it good because it's foolproof. Take any of those lines, and change the coffee words to food words, and you are describing Olive Garden.

The comparison to champagne is a convenient one, because it can be easily dismissed as a mere analogy.
>>
>>7052221
>They are calling it good because it's foolproof.
no. They're calling it good AND they're calling it foolproof. You're reading between the lines to the point where these people are saying what you want them to say, not what they are actually saying. He's not comparing it to that benchmark champagne because the champagne is efficient and easy to use. The champagne comparison reflects their confidence that the espresso will be universally enjoyed by the great majority of their customers since they consider it to be of benchmark quality. That quote has nothing to do with process and everything to do with flavor. You don't have to read between the lines when it's clear what they are talking about.
>>
File: 4L_r0AauV73.jpg (111 KB, 450x377) Image search: [Google]
4L_r0AauV73.jpg
111 KB, 450x377
Lido E master race

I roast my own beans in a cheap amazon popcorn machine
>>
>>7051970
Just add milk to your coffee.
>>
>bought a keurig
>still use it
espresso shots are too small and most espresso drinks, like lattes and americanos, don't taste good
>>
I'm looking into some alternative coffee recipes and brewing methods. Obviously the best known right now are drip, immersion (french press), pour over, pressure differential systems like aeropress, vacuum pots, moka pots, and high pressure espresso machines. Some other ones I've been looking at are Vietnamese coffee (metal pour over device mixed with condensed milk), Vietnamese egg coffee, Norwegian egg coffee (raw egg mixed with grounds and added to pot with water to clump and clarify the coffee), Bulletproof coffee (ghee and coconut oil blended with coffee), and clarification of coffee with gelatin or agar. Any other interesting methods or techniques?
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.