[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rice water ratio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8
File: rice.jpg (136 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
136 KB, 640x480
can any1 give me the correct autistic numbers for the rice/water ratio and also the method to cook it?
what you have : 100g rice, salt , water and a kitchen with heat control 1-9.
p.s cup.spoon. etc.. are not numbers
>>
75g parboiled rice
As much water as you fucking want
For as long as you fucking want

Buy parboiled rice like most of the world
>>
>>7035223
The ratio is different for each kind of rice, age also plays a role.
>>
>>7035223
You're going to need about ten water.

>p.s cup.spoon. etc.. are not numbers
Neither are grams.
>>
>>7035223
set heat control to 9
place exactly 526 grains of rice directly on
burner
when rice begins to smoke snort 0.25 grams of table salt
dump 800ml of water on burner
go outside and kill yourself
>>
>>7035223

regular long grain rice:

ratio of:
1 rice, rinsed.
to
1.75 water.

bring to boil, lower heat and cover for 15 minutes.

turn off the heat leaving the lid on and let stand for another 10-15 minutes.

wa la.
>>
It's going to depend a lot on the rice you're using and the method of cooking. The ratio will typically fall somewhere between 1.5 - 3.5 parts water to 1 part rice, so there can be a lot of variance.

Do you rinse the rice? It's going to hold on to some of that water, so you'll need slightly less than you would if you didn't rinse (a 50 g portion absorbs like 10 g of water during rinsing based on my testing).
Do you cook it covered or in an open pot, like with risotto? If you don't have a lid you'll have more evaporation and need more water.
Do you cook it in a pot, in a rice cooker or in a double boiler? If you cook directly in a pot it will generally be at a boil as it cooks and will lose more water, whereas with the latter two methods the temperature will be around 95 C so it will evaporate less.

I'd recommend a ratio of 2 parts water to 1 part rice for starters. Ideally you'd weigh your ingredients so you'll know the exact ratio you used and can then adjust the ratio on subsequent times until you find out the perfect amount of water. You'll want 50-75 g of rice per portion. I also add about 0.5% salt by weight, so for three portions or 150 g rice and 300 g water I would add about 2 grams of salt. A teaspoon of salt is about 6 grams. 0.5% won't really taste salty, but will improve the taste. If you like saltier rice you can easily double the amount. The cooking time is also something that should be tested for each rice. For typical white rice I'd go with 20 minutes.

If you can, use a rice cooker or failing that, a double boiler.
>>
>>7035223

Never understood this measuring the correct volume of water for a specific weight of rice bullshit.

Why not just launch the rice in a a pan of boiling water and then drain it when done? Much easier.
>>
It really depends on what type of rice you are cooking.. for me an asian dude, i usually cook my rice using my finger as a guide on how many water i use. Mostly 1 : 1 ratio but u can decrease that amount when you cook it and just add more water later if the rice is still hard on the inside
>>
just read the fucking instructions on the goddamn rice package you twit
>>
It is 2 to fucking one, water to fucking rice, you retarded fucking fuckwad.

It isn't fucking rocket science for fuck's sake.
>>
>>7035228
I've only got six water on hand? Is there a decent substitute?
>>
>>7035341

Because too much water fucks the texture of the rice.
>>
The answer is it depends. You need to experiment until you find the best ratio. This video explains why

https://youtu.be/DJFU7ezipbg
>>
>>7035555
No you don't need to experiment. Different types of rice take different amounts. You just follow the directions and use a rice cooker and you'll always have perfect rice
>>
>>7035392
the instructions are always useless unless you want disgusting mush
>>
>>7035618
Stop buying Uncle Ben's. There really aren't that many types of rice
>>
>>7035631
fucking racist
>>
Best ratio for basmati that I do is 1 rice:1.5 water.
>>
>>7035898
I use 1:2 but I probably overcook mine a little.
>>
>>7036010
Fair enough, I don't know how everyone else makes rice but I got taught by some Iranian women so it might be different don't know.
>>
>>7035223
>2015
>eats rice
you don't like nutrition?
>>
>>7036089
Might as well post recipe.

Drain my rice about 6 times first. Strain, then 1 cup to 1.5 cups of water. Throwing in some salt and a dash of oil. Set burner to high to get to boil, then to middle-high (or 7 for you plebs), while stirring occasionally. Lid on and off to conserve heat and prevent boiling over. Keep this process going until water level is right under rice level. Transfer to low heat, put a towel over the top of the pot then put lid on, leave for 20 minutes. After that I'll take it out except for a decent lining on the bottom, and I'll put the towel back on with the lid to make tahdig (crustier rice, google is your friend. Fucking glorious with tahdig).
>>
just get rope and end it
>>
File: measurement.png (25 KB, 706x359) Image search: [Google]
measurement.png
25 KB, 706x359
god damn you are lazy ..
1 teaspoon dry measure is 5 grams..

http://www.convertunits.com/from/teaspoons/to/grams

if you were close by I would slap you with a wet rag ..lazy ass good for nothing slag..
>>
>>7035223
method A:
>>7035341
if you dont mind washing some starch out of the rice. Can be done safely with basmati since its already fucked beyond being useful for anything

Method B
cover rice with water and add 1-2 millimeter more. if the rice isnt doen yet, but the upper layer of water evaporated - fill up until its again a few mm above the rice. repeat until done
>>
File: Neuro-Fuzzy.jpg (66 KB, 570x463) Image search: [Google]
Neuro-Fuzzy.jpg
66 KB, 570x463
For however many cups of rice you put in, add water to that line, for whatever kind of rice you're making.

It's pretty simple, OP.
>>
>>7036089
>VOY SHOMA KHAYLI KHOSTEEP
>>
>>7036136
Mersi azizam
>>
>>7035341
>draining excess water from rice
wat
>>
>>7036141
My mom is Persian, but I barely know any Farsi. I have to get her to teach me how to cook chelo with tahdig properly.
>>
>>7036145

Were you not aware that you can cook rice the same way you cook pasta?

I've seen restaurants do this because there's less of a chance of it getting fucked up in large amounts.
>>
>>7036149
My ex was Persian, I'm Swedish so I speak Eng/Swe but I picked up some Farsi during the 2 years we were together.

Chelow is great, but I've always preferred jujeh or soltani. Honestly though I pretty much would just eat gheimeh all day every day,
>>
>>7036150
Or you know, just measure rice and water? Trying to drain rice as you do pasta doesn't even make sense because they behave differently.
>>
>>7035341

because you neadrathal ..most people like firm cooked rice, Like Basmati ..
NOT some nasty sticky over cooked paste that tastes like glue and smells like rubber
>>
fry 1 oil in pan on medium-high heat
add 13 rice, stir it around for a couple of minutes. If using spices at 1/3 - 1 of each as well
add 19.5 water/stock, bring to the boil, then put a tight-fitting lid on the pan, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and fuck off for 15
take the pan off the heat, keep the lid on the pan and leave it for another 5
>>
>>7036161

>trying to drain rice as you do pasta doesn't even make sense because they behave differently

What are you even talking about?

Just because you haven't heard of a particular way of doing something you don't have to get defensive.
>>
>>7036181
>What are you even talking about?

Too much water can easily over-hydrate the rice.

What you're discussing is a shortcut that trades convenience for quality. Can it be done? Sure. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though.
>>
>>7036179
>13:19.5

Holy fuck that's some exact shit.
>>
>>7036181
I'm saying why would you even bother, when just measuring correct amounts of water and dry rice is so much easier. It'd be like trying to drain couscous. How do you do it without losing parts of what you've just cooked?
>>
>>7036179
>>7036185
Wait, no it's not, it's just 1:1.5. My man.
>>
>>7036185
It's really not, he's just autistic. It's a 1 to 1.5 ratio.
>>
>>7036186
>How do you do it without losing parts of what you've just cooked?

With a fucking sieve, anon. How dense are you?
>>
File: fine strainer.jpg (198 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
fine strainer.jpg
198 KB, 1000x1000
>>7036186
>>
>>7036189
Yeah I just realized that here >>7036188
>>
>>7036193
>>7036191
People actually do this?
>>
>>7036189
How else was I supposed to tell op to use 13 times as much rice as oil given his apparent phobia for units of measurement?
>>
>>7036199
usually if you're trying to rinse the starch out
for pilafs and such ...maybe even Indian dishes
but if you are using it for rice balls or sushi or what have you,...you want leave the starch in the rice...
>>
>>7035225
>Buy parboiled rice like most of the world

:^O
>>
>>7035232
tbqhwu i had 1 chuckle. thamks senpai
>>
>>7036157
Fesenjoon is my all time favourite. Tahchin is a close second.
>>
>>7036157
Swe here, I have a Persian fetish. I envy you.
>>
>>7036206

Read the thread in detail before you reply please.

We're not talking about rinsing rice before cooking it. We're talking about the idea of cooking it with a massive surplus of water and then straining out the excess water after cooking.
>>
>>7036252
lol, det var inte en bra upplevelse kompis.
>>
>>7036257
I did read the thread in detail ...
I also answered why YOU would use a sieve ..

any other use for a sieve when cooking rice is ghetto trash methodology ...
>>
>>7036283

He didn't ask why you would use a sieve. He asked why anyone would use the silly method of cooking it in far too much water then straining out the rice afterward.
>>
>>7036326
In case you want rice that stays separate and doesn't stick together.
>>
>>7036332
tthis ttbh ffam
>>
1 kg mol rice to every 10 lb mol water
>>
File: Absorbtion Method.png (24 KB, 845x780) Image search: [Google]
Absorbtion Method.png
24 KB, 845x780
OC feel free to steal.

Easiest and simplest way of cooking rice. no straining, no measurement, minimal effort.
>>
>>7037299
I kind of did that with my rice a few days ago
Wasn't enough heat so the rice was crunchy on the inside

would not recommend
>>
>>7037315
thats odd works fine for me every time.

I'm using basmati or basmine rice though
>>
>>7037324
im using cheap as fuck rice from walmart
"long grain enriched rice"

I just do 1:2, rolling boil, simmer with lid till water is gone
>>
>>7036199
Here most people who don't know very well how to cook cook rice like pasta.
Boil water, throw 2 handful rice per person, wait time written on bag, drain.
You don't even need a finer strainer than the pasta one. A few grains pass, but not enough to clog canalisations.

>>7035301
Rice is the only dry thing I measure in volume. What volume is a portion of rice? Or what's rice density?
>>
>>7037315
10 minutes is a bit short for most rices. Try 15, it may be a bit overcooked but better than "al dente".
If you are more courageous, try tasting a few grains every minutes and note how long it took. Then you'll be settled for this brand.
>>
>>7037407
I did it until the water was gone
my problem was I dropped the heat too low
it wasn't really simmering
>>
>>7035223
Regular long grain rice: one cup rice, two cups water

Basmati or jasmine rice: one cup rice, one and a half cups water
>>
I just wanted to say that rice cooked by the absorption method tastes much better than simply tossing it in a pan of boiling water and straining.
>>
>>7037414
you have to bring it to a very good boil for >>7037299 to work. Want to make a lot of heat that will then cook the rice over the 10/15 minutes standing time. Probably 5 minutes on high heat, quick stir, then 10/15 with heat off. you could keep the heat on very low if you have crunch issues, or just use much more water.

Note that this method only works for about 2-3 cups of rice. If you want to do more, add more water.
>>
>>7035544
Use 4 less rices
>>
depends on the rice

it can be the same brand you buy every time, but each batch can be different.
>>
1 cup or rice, 2 of water.
>>
>>7035226
I'm 27
>>
>>7038281
Yep
>>
>>7037299

Hawaiian detected.
>>
>>7035898
I do this as well, with medium or short grain I go 1:1 after its washed 4-5 times
>>
>>7039362
not correct, but what makes you think that?
>>
File: dsc_0047-001.jpg (3 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0047-001.jpg
3 MB, 3008x2000
>>7040058

Grew up in Hawaii, and that was the standard way that everyone made sticky rice. Never seen it anywhere else.
>>
>>7039362
>>7040097
Mother fucker I grew up in Hawaii and was about to post the index finger trick.
>>
>>7040097
well I've never even been to hawaii
>>
File: ph buffet.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
ph buffet.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>7040700

Your loss.
>>
>>7035223

1 rice to 1.5 water

Put rice in container.
Put water in container.
Cover.
Turn on heat to med high.
When water starts to boil, turn heat to low before it boils over.
Leave on low for 20 mins.
Turn off heat and let rest covered for 10 mins.
After resting complete, stir and serve.

Rice will be perfect.
>>
>>7040719

>muh methhead islands

Didn't your State governments just break up and dismantle the world's largest homeless population on those beaches?

Pretty sure I just read something about that a few days ago, about how tens of thousands of homeless people are sleeping rough on benches instead of soft warm sand.

Hawaii hasn't been a "cool" thing since the 1950's. Enjoy paying for packets of ketchup "brah".
>>
>>7035223
2 cups rice with 2 cups water

use a rice cooker
>>
File: 2145786l.jpg (76 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
2145786l.jpg
76 KB, 480x360
>>7040769

Honolulu =/= the rest of the State.

Anyway, haven't been back in over a decade, but meth was pretty big even then.

It was a pretty "cool" place to grow up, actually. You sound mad.
>>
>>7040794

>being a military brat is cool

Okay haole.
>>
>>7040818

>the only white kids who live in hawaii are military brats

Not even close.
>>
i eyeball it and aim for around twice as much water as rice or a bit under.
>>
>>7035223
There are none
Undercook slightly then let steam for halg an hour
>>
>get pan
>put in rice
>put lots of water
>cook for 20mins
>strain excess water and rinse rice with freeh boiling water
>done

Hurrrrrrr how do i calculate exact amount of watur guise hurrrrrr rice cooker hurr stupid fucking faggots
>>
I just submerge it 2.5-3 (hot water) : 1 (rice) in a plastic bowl and zap it in the microwave for 10-12 mins

once the I can see the water has evaporated, I take it out and let it stand for a minute
>>
>>7041343
You are so wrong it hurts.
>>
>>7035223
1 cup rice
1 and a half cups water
Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes

Wala
>>
>there are people who can't get their rice right

holy fuck I've never measured exact amounts of rice and water, always put approx 1.5 part water to 1 part rice, add later if neccessary, taste every few minutes to see if it's done. Only one time I got a disgusting mush, when I forgot to wash arborio rice in 4 am dead drunk.
Seriously how can you fuck up rice?
>>
>>7037867

this so much. people who strain their rice through a sieve don't know what good rice tastes like
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.